• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dixon Joseph Gt Hampton Street

Shortie

master brummie
Is Joseph Dixon listed in any directory as living in Gt Hampton Street?. he had a shop, and sold many articles. He did live at one time in Lozells, but I am curious to know what number Gt Hampton Street he lived at, if at all possible, please.

Shortie

Re: Joseph Dixon, Gt Hampton Street

What period are yiou talking about. Have checked all the directories 1950-73 and can find no J Dixon listed in Gt Hampton st

I am so sorry Mike, I should have said. I suspect I was thinking too hard! The time is early 1800's, but cannot give a specific date. I have extracts from his diaries and I intend to include him in my book. He died in 1856. He also lived in Lozells, but not sure what time he lived in either area. He was listed as being a Haberdasher, Mercer-Dealer in silk and satin, Gilt Toy Manufacturer, Ironmonger. I would like to be able to pin down the house in Gt Hampton Street if at all possible.

Slightly embarrassed Shortie

Going backwards there are a few Joseph Dixons in 1855, but don’t think any is yours.
1845-1849 Dixon Joseph, furniture broker, l03, Great Hampton street
1841 Dixon Joseph, ironmonger, 103, Great Hampton street
1833 Dixon Birnice, stay and corset maker,103, Gt. Hampton-st.
1833 Dixon Joseph, gilt toy maker, 103, Great Hampton street
1830 Dixon Joseph, gilt manufacturer, 109, Great Hampton street
1829 Dixon Joseph, gilt manufacturer, 109, Great Hampton street
1823 Dixon Joseph, mercer and haberdasher, 95, Gt. Hampton-street
1818 Dixon Joseph, haberdasher, Great Hampton-street
So it looks like he had (at least) 3 addresses in Gt Hampton St . t is possible that the buildings were renumbered, but before 1845 there are no street listings in the directories, som it is not possible to tell if that were true.
Mike

Gosh Mike, thanks. These are definitely the right Joseph in all instances and Bernice was his wife. He also wrote poetry and at least one hymn - he definiately had a way with words, but I doubt any were published. When I finish my ironing (!!), I will post one of his little rhymes. He sounds a really delightful fellow, and I may, with help from the library, be able to find out just where his house was. I know that in 1861 No 55 is the same as it is today, so maybe the numbering was not altered.

Many thanks indeed

Shortie

Have rechecked and no renumbering seems to have been done after 1841. but , on checking, something else turned up. In 1849 there seems to be a william Davis furniture broker at 108 Gt Hampton St (and another furniture broker, joseph walsh at 109) don’t know if they are connected. Will try and work our later which was 103 etc on map
mike

Thanks Mike, and after my lunch I will sort out the Valentine poem that Joseph wrote to his wife.

Shortie

Don't quite know where to post this, but I am sure someone can correct me if I am wrong.

From the Joseph Dixon diaries

A Valentine Composed by J A Dixon, April 29th 1814

Jehovah design to rule the small affairs of man our mean affairs below
His secret purposes none movers can forego
From all eternity 'twas in his vast design
That thou my Dear Bernice should be my Valentine
This let us ever seek to bless each others life
I a kind husband prove, & you a loving Wife

All just as it is written, ampisand and all.

I personally think this is lovely. There is much more, and on 16 May 1813 he gave his wife a box, made by himself and a long poem also. He must have loved her deeply.

Shortie

Have sorted the numbers out as well as I can .The 1890 map shows what I am pretty sure are nos 103 (green), 108 (blue and 109 (red). No 95 is slightly off the map on another sheet just before hockley st, but , anyway, by 1890 has been demolished and is part of a lamp works. On the 1839 map it is difficult to be certain exactly where the buildings were, but 103 must be part of the isolated group in the centre, and 905 part of the group to the top near Hockley St
Mike

map_c_1890_nos_103_108_and_109_gt_hampton_st_1.jpg

map_1839_around_no_108_gt_hampton_st.jpg

Hi Mike, this is fantastic. (Sorry I have been a long time coming back to you, I was out last night and all day today). I need to get my own maps out, but it might be that I know one of the houses he lived in - if I am right it was one known for its garden, but I need to check. I have seen lots of photographs of Gt Hampton Street, I was involved with something the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter did with old photos, and I remember seeing quite a few, but did not know the exact numbers. I think the lamp works you mention would be the Joseph Hinks factory - Duplex Lamps were made there. Joseph Dixon is buried at Key Hill, and he is one of the subjects I have chosen to write about. Extracts from his diaries bring this man back to life, he talks quite easily about what is in his heart - it's easy to see he was a Georgian man, and not a Victorian!

Thanks once again, Mike, I really appreciate that.

Shortie

shortie..the red and blue buildings look to be more or less opposite the lord clifden pub which is still there...

lyn

Thanks Lyn, that's very interesting. I have to go into the JQ in a few weeks to collect something, so will have a good look. Cheers

Shortie

ok shortie...is memorty serves me right there are some old buildings round about there that lie back....possibly years ago had gardens....its worth a look though...let me know how you get on

lyn

Hi Lyn, yes, I will let you know how I get on. I was concerned that numbering had altered, as some streets had their numbering changed around 1901 (Hurst street, for one). I felt no good settling on one place if it was wrong - however, Joseph Dixon moved house quite a bit, so perhaps I should not get too fixated on it!

Shortie

Hi Everyone. I have just joined the forum, so please forgive me if I give information that is common knowledge. Joseph Dixon was my great great great grandfather. Last week my brother and I visited Birmingham University to view Joseph's travel journals (which are in the Special Collection). There are five very closely written journals, comprising about 800 pages in total. These confirm that Joseph did live at 95 Great Hampton Street (1824) and also reinforce the fact that he was devoted to his wife. I must admit I have wondered why he was not buried with her. If anyone is researching into his family then I certainly recommend reading the journals. They are full, for example, of his travel experiences, information about his immediate family and his ancestors, sketches of his inventions, poetry and details of his business.

Hallo Pall13 - I hve a copy of one of Joseph's diaries. As you say, it is very clear that he adored Bernice, and he also adored his children too. Joseph lived at several addresses in Great Hampton Street, not just at No 95. I would suggest that the reason he is not buried with Bernice is that she is buried with her father. Perhaps at the time that Joseph died, there was little money and perhaps the Barber grave was already full. Joseph is buried in a public grave. Pamela Meredith gave me a copy of the diary, I presume you know her?

Many thanks for your prompt reply to my first ever post. It is great to find that there are other people interested in the same ancestors as myself. Your reasons why Joseph was not buried with Bernice sound spot on. I did actually visit Key Hill a few weeks ago, when I came to Alexander Stadium for the Olympic Trials. It is certainly an interesting place and I got the impression that it was splendid in its day. I don't know Pamela Meredith and only found out about the journals last year, when I was browsing on Ancestry.com. Unfortunately I live in Essex and so it isn't easy for me to do research on the ground.

I have spent quite a lot of time researching my Dixon ancestors and am now going to turn my attention to the Barber family. No doubt I will be seeking help again! In the meantime many thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Jan

Hi Jan

Jan, I did not think I had been any help, but thanks, you are welcome. Pam Meredith is descended from Joseph Dixon or if not her, her husband is. That's why she did the research. I find him fascinating. I started to write a book on Key Hill, or rather more about the people that are not so well known. For various reasons it came down to a very slow place, almsot a standstill one could say, but I hope to pick it up again once I get a few personal issues resolved. His journey to Cornwall was so detailed in a personal way - details such as his washing habits, and it gives us a good insight into what may be how other people lived too. Recipes for medications gave me a laugh, especially one for wind, but I won't go into that now. Have you seen if Joseph left a Will? I have not looked into that, but that might tell you something if he did. I expect the Barbers will also turn out to be interesting, Bernice herself will be, I am sure.

Shortie

Hi Shortie

Obviously I find Joseph fascinating too. I was particularly taken with some of his poetry. I don't know about its literary merit, but some of the poetry struck a chord with me! This one in particular -

How hard is my fate
To stand at this gate
Rain, hail, or snow, and fine weather;
‘Tis so very bad,
It makes my heart sad,
Tho’ it were light as a feather.

I then enquire
With ardent/anxious desire
Why thus to affliction consigned
Or, what was the deed
For which fate decreed
I should be to bondage confined.

I think poor Joseph must have found life hard at times, especially as he had 12 children to support.

Good luck with the book. If you do finish it then please let me know. I would love to see your thoughts about Joseph, good or bad!

Jan

Yes Jan, he did a lot of poetry. I have tried to include some, but it would be easy to make the book just about Joseph, which I can't afford to. This one is particularly lovely. I think he was an exceedingly nice chap. I shall send you a private message later, have to go out now.

Shortie

Hi, I have just joined your forum - (new to this, not quite sure what I'm doing!) - I am yet another descendant of Joseph Dixon, he was my 4x gt grandfather. I knew about the journals but have not had a chance to visit Birmingham yet (like another descendant on here I also live in Essex). Due to lack of time, my research is a bit sporadic but there is such a lot of helpful information on here, thank you. It is also lovely to see the poems, he was such a fascinating person. Can't wait to visit to read the journals for myself!

Hi JulaB, I am the other descendant you mentioned who lives in Essex (Chelmsford). I was fortunate to see Joseph's journals for myself last year and would love the chance to go back to Birmingham for a second look - they were far too detailed to be able to read them in one session. I was able to take a few photographs, which I would be more than happy to share with you, if only I knew how to! Like you, I am relatively new to this website and consequently I am not sure if I can contact you directly. I will investigate!

I am not sure which branch of Joseph's family you are descended from, but yesterday I was able to visit the grave of one of his descendants (George William Dixon) who died on the first day of the Battle of The Somme. Again I will be more than happy to share the photographs that I took and the information I have about him, if they are relevant to you.

Jan

Hi Jan
Great to hear from you! You won't believe this but I am also in Chelmsford! Small world.. I am descended via Joseph and Bernice's son Cornelius Ernest & Betsey Inshaw, (the Inshaws are also an interesting bunch!), down through the McClarrons. It would be lovely to see your photos. I will look at my profile on here as I think I can amend it so you can email me. A bit tired to get my head round it tonight but I'll investigate shortly!
Thanks again, exciting to get a message so quickly!
Julia

Hi Julia, It is indeed a small world! Perhaps we could meet in person at some point, to share information? I am descended from Frederick Tertius, one of Cornelius' brothers. I believe I am correct in saying that Cornelius moved to Hull and was followed there by his nephew (my great grandfather), his own father having emigrated to the US.

I will be away from home for the next ten days but I would be very happy to contact you via e-mail when I return. In the meantime good luck with the research and with finding out how to accept private messages.

Best wishes

Jan

Hello Jan
Lovely to hear from you. Yes it would be great to meet up and share info! You are right that Cornelius did move to Hull, and his family remained there - my grandfather left Hull in the 1920s I believe, and came down south, where he met my Grandmother. Unfortunately I never met him as he died before I was born. I know he had several brothers, and I'm sure there are still family members up there. It's interesting that Cornelius was joined in Hull by his nephew. I still have so much research to do! :)
Best wishes
Julia

Back