• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davis/King

Hel43

knowlegable brummie
Hi All, I'm having great trouble in placing a great Aunt. I believe she was called Mary Davis (maiden name) she would have been born in Birmingham in 1908-1918ish. Her parents were Ada King and Raymond Davis (maybe!). We think she may have lived on the Stratford road in Henley in Arden later in life. I have also noted on the 1911 census for the King family that there is an Ada King aged 3 who is a visiting granddaughter but I cant find anything on her either - could she be Mary?! Is anyone able to help?

Ah! I have been searching for weeks! Thank you! I can find anything about her, My Grandad Ernest was born in 1914 - where would I be able to find out for info please?

Ernest Davis mmn King. Birth reg Sept quarter 1914 at Aston. Ref: vol 06d, page 724

Born 11 June 1914. Baptised at Sparkbrook on 5 July 1914. Father a Baker and address looks like 16 White Road.

Last edited:
After the 1921 census there's not much detailed info available. In 1921 she is with her parents and Ernest and she possibly marries an Ernest J Webb in 1938.

Difficult to be certain with such a common name but if she did then in 1939 she was living at The Vineries in Solihull.

Ernest Davis mmn King. Birth reg Sept quarter 1914 at Aston. Ref: vol 06d, page 724

Born 11 June 1914. Baptised at Sparkbrook on 5 July 1914. Father a Baker and address looks like 16 White Road.
Thank you! Do you have this info on Mary please?

After the 1921 census there's not much detailed info available. In 1921 she is with her parents and Ernest and she possibly marries an Ernest J Webb in 1938.

Difficult to be certain with such a common name but if she did then in 1939 she was living at The Vineries in Solihull.
That's fantastic thank you!! This has had us all baffled, I couldn't find anything on her and my Grandad never really spoke of her, which is shame. Thank you! :)

just looking at the 39 register... apart from mary e and ernest there was also a daughter diana mary born dec 1938 she went onto marry a walsh. diana appears to have died in birmingham 2011 age 73..if you know of diana mary this would confirm the 39 reg for you

lyn

Last edited:
to finish here is the 1921 census which confirms the address of white road sparkbrook at a guess the mary king age 66 down as infirm visitor could be raymonds mother...hope this helps

lyn

thumbnail - 2024-02-18T092649.757.jpgthumbnail - 2024-02-18T092608.603.jpg

Last edited:
Now to try to find baptism for Mary Ellen.
Think Mary King would be Ada's mother as she was formerly Ada King.

jan we know mary e davis was born 15th july 1915 but what do we have to be certain middle name is ellen....at the min i cant find a baptism for her

lyn

Thank you everybody, this is amazing. :) I have been searching for weeks for Mary. For some reason my Grandad never spoke of her, not even my Dad knows much about her. White Road would make sense as my Grandad was residing there in 1939 with his parents. Im going to see if Diana had any children, hopefully! I have also made good progress on the Deathridge side, its great to see it all coming together, again, I really appreciate your help and knowledge! :) Thank you

Can't find a baptism for Mary. Maybe they didn't bother. It happens sometimes.

By the way - I went to school in Olton with a Catherine Deathridge.

Can't find a baptism for Mary. Maybe they didn't bother. It happens sometimes.

By the way - I went to school in Olton with a Catherine Deathridge.
Great! Thank you! :) I'm working my way down the Deathridge generations at the moment, there are quite a few of them! Could quite well be a relative of mine though, they did live in Olton. Corrie Croft was one address.

Back