• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davies Coal Merchants

W

Wendy

I have just recived a letter from a cousin in South Africa. He tells me our ancestor had a coal buisness buying and selling bulk coal he started the buisness in 1908 but doesn't mention where the buisness was. I think the family were living at Aragon House, Tudor Hill, Sutton Coldfield at this time, so I am not sure if the buisness was run from home. I wonder if someone could have a look to see if they are listed in a trade directorie. The family sometimes used the middle name Manning Davies.

Many thanks Moma P.

And I don't know if this is relevant but:

1920 - Arthur Manning Davies and Ada Rose Davies at
94 Stephenson Place - Under 'Abode/other info' for Arthur is Daracy Lodge, Streetly and for Ada it says Llys-Helyg, Abbey Rd, Llandudno.

In 1925 - Arthur Manning Davies 2 Exchange Buildings, Stephenson Place and under 'Abode/other info' there is Hafod, Church Walks, Llandudno.

In 1912 - Arthur Davies, (House Name Abbotstone), Birmingham Rd, Wylde Green and under Abode/other info 94 Exchange Buildings, Stephenson Place.

Looks like the Stephenson Place could have been a business premises?

Suzanne

Wendy

Just found this in 1922 'phone directories:

Davies Coal & Coke Co. Exchange Buildings, New Street
(and just in case you want their telephone number - Midland 977:D)

and in 1951 Mrs Ada R Davies, Hafod, Church Walks, Llandudno 6357)

Suzanne

Wow Susan thank you so much these dates are great as I wondered when they moved to Llandudno. This will be great for my files thanks again. Ada Rose Davies nee Jennings was my grandfathers sister.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back