• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

crocodile works

remember sitting at the front upstairs on the no5 when it swung from summer lane into alma st and looking at this

We've got thousands of the salt water variety in the North of the state....But I NEVER knew that they were made in Brum.........amazing the things that you learn on this site :idiot2:

when we first had a telly nearly all the films were about some intrepid hero,or us fighting the japs(are we still doing that or did they win over here without firing a shot).the heros were always chopping away thru the undergrowth with their machetes and my dad always used to say ,they got them from the crocodile works,martindales moved up to the black country and are still messing about doing something but i bet it aint machetes

Crocodile Works summer lane

Just thought i would let you all know that the crocodile works has now been totally demolished. thats a bit more of history gone. what a pity.

Oh, that is sad. The old building may have been a white elephant for the last decade or two, but it was a strong link with the past and many of us remember it well. It will certainly be missed.
Peter

Such a shame I didn't get here months ago. This is all that's left of the place as of a couple weeks ago.........

DSCF7701.jpg

DSCF7700.jpg

DSCF7660.jpg

DSCF7653.jpg

DSCF7641.jpg
Looking down to where the crocdile works main building stood

DSCF7665.jpg

Neil

Ralph Martindale & Co Ltd moved to Willenhall about 3 years ago, and my company still supplies them with felt bobs and wheels for polishing their machetes.

I used to visit the old Summer Lane works quite regularly, and always made sure I didn't wear my best suit. The place really was a dump (I don't think anyone will dispute that) and it always suprised me that the Health & Safety people hadn't made them do more with regard to housekeeping - sometimes the floors would be awash with nasty chemicals used in the hardening of the steel blades. But everyone seemed happy and contented, and I suppose that's what matters. Virusman's photos bring back a few memories...

Big Gee

Not totally demolished, here's what's left........

P210209_1118_01.jpg

DSCF7701.jpg

DSCF7660.jpg

DSCF7933.jpg

DSCF7920.jpg

DSCF7894.jpg

DSCF7853.jpg

DSCF7843.jpg

The police turned up and kicked us off the site after an hour or so. The demolition company are hot on the place as it will all be gone within the next few weeks. The place is utterly gutted with nothing of interest in place bar a few bits of paperwork.

Get your exterior shots now if you want any guys, this place will be gone soon.

hi neil...great shots as usual...i am not to sure about the building left standing in alma st but i was under the impression that the others in porchester st were protected and not under demolision...mind you i stand to be corrected on that...

lyn

thanks for that john...i thought the buildings would remain....i was panicing a bit then......lol

lyn

The frontages are really all that is left. The ones on Porcheter street are just that for the most part. Totally demolished all bar the odd brick wall and stair case. Quite a change to how it all was this time last year.

This is from Birmingham City Council listed buildings in Birmingham the category for Martindales is B the C denotes which departmen I will try and get in touch witrh the department to find out the issue regarding Martindales the link below is to all listed buildings in Birmingham and surrounds
C
Allens Farm Road Northfield Church of St. Bartholemew B S
Allison Street Digbeth Cast Iron Bollard C C Well Lane
Alma Street Newtown Offices of Ralph B C
Martindale Ltd
Alma Street Newtown Mayfair International B C
Silverware Ltd
Alma Street Newtown Nos. 183 to 187 (odd) B C

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/ELibrary?E_LIBRARY_ID=73&a=1083235402168

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]5. What does listing mean?

[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]5.1 As we said above, the lists are a register. But they do mean that if you wish to demolish, alter or extend a listed building in a way that affects its character, you must have "listed building consent" from your local planning authority. This will be in addition to any planning permission you need, although for most owners applications for both can be considered together (and listed building consent applications are free).

5.2 The fact that a building is listed does not necessarily mean that it must be preserved intact for all time; but it does mean that the case for its preservation can be considered quite separately from the merits of any development proposals. Your local Council will be able to advise you about this. 5.3 It is an offence to demolish, alter or extend a listed building without consent, and the penalties for this can be heavy.
[/FONT]​

this is regards to Porchester street
Porchester Street Aston No. 38 (S.R. Pearson C C
(B'ham) Ltd)
Porchester Street Aston Site of Aston Blast A C
Furnace, within Public
Open Space

All that asid, that listing is over 12 months old, and there has been more and more removed in that time. Either local nutters will burn it down like they did with so many listed buildings in Wolverhampton, or a digger will "accidentally" damage the building, and so it will have to be taken down. I've seen it happen too many times before. If anything, the company responsible for the security of the site should be contacted and given a sound telling off for not scuring the fence around the buildings. There's a great big panel off that allows anyone to walk in. Not the best defence for a listed building!!!

Crocodile project is unveiled at Newtown factory site

Apr 27 2009 by Ben Goldby, Birmingham Mail
A NEW multi-million pound housing project has been unveiled at a former factory in Birmingham.
The Crocodile Works site, in Newtown, is set to undergo a huge regeneration project backed by a £12 million government grant.
Birmingham City Council has joined forces with Midland Heart, the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) and Urban Living to help kick-start redevelopment of the area.
The Crocodile Works project will provide homes for rent to home-buy, outright sale and rent, with the former factory being transformed into 126 apartments and 42 townhouses over the next two years.
Tom Murtha, chief executive of Midland Heart, said: “This project is a huge step in the transformation of Newtown, which will form part of a wider programme of regeneration schemes across the region.
“Not only will the development provide much needed housing to meet the specific demands of potential home owners in the area, it will also help bring neighbourhoods together and enhance community cohesion.”
The redevelopment is the first step in a £700m investment plan by the HCA in the West Midlands over the next two years.
Paul Spooner, director of HCA West Midlands, said: “Working together we can help create jobs and training opportunities in the housing sector while delivering maximum impact for the benefit of the West Midlands.” With Thanks to the Birmingham Mail. Len.

hi len...thanks for putting that on the forum...i too have just read that although ive know about the plans for the croc site for some time....with a bit of luck the planners will stick to their word and keep the front of the croc works and also the other building in porchester street....

lyn

I must have passed that sign (Crocodile Works) a thousand times...Cat

hi cat..the sign is still there on the alma st part of the building that is still there....

lyn

Nice to see the Crocodile Works thread up again. I took this photo in, I think, 2004, from the front of the 5a bus on the way home to Hidson Road from Town. It's a bit hazy since the bus was empty pretty well and the ride down Summer Lane was bumpy. I'm glad I took the photo as, of course, it's all gone now, at least that newer section. Glad to hear the older part still survives but not for much longer as the redevelopment article states.

jennyann....thanks for the pic...if you go to virusmans first pic on post 13 that is the part of the croc works that will remain...also the building in porchester st will stay as its protected.....at least thats what our information is...fingers crossed....

lyn

Thanks Lyn for the info. It's amazing in a way that the old Crocodile Works
will be converted into living space. I agree that if this is the only way to keep such buildings standing. I know that there is a trend towards doing this type of thing and in the end it means much more than the flimsy buildings
that are newly built and are not worth the outlay to buy one. I believe that the old Esterbrook Pen Company on Moland Street, where the Midland Counties Dairy used to be is being converted and someone may know if the Brandeur building is being converted. It's pretty obvious that the development of such old factories, etc. so close to town are going to be
looked at for housing. With crowded roads many people want to live closer to the city. I suppose we older people will go around pointing at these converted buildings saying "I remember when that was so and so".

hi jennyann...i think i may have mislead you a tad...the whole interia of the building has gone....its just waste ground now..the only part that remains is the front wall of the building on alma st.....the new appartments will be built on the ground somehow incorporating the old front of the croc works...now this is the plan...i shall be keeping a good eye out to see if this is what happens.....i did hear that the same will happen to brandeurs and looking at the building now i do hope something is done soon before it falls down.....

lyn

Back