• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Corner Shops

Green Lane / Millward Street in 1974, question for you all, looks like an old pub, was it? Love the painted advert upstairs and the side door to the accommodation, sash windows. Have you noted the height of the platforms on the ladies shoes?

Attachments

• Green Lane 74.jpg
    Green Lane 74.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 43
Good afternoon
start today at 338 Stratford Road in 1974, general street scene, metal bus shelter - round bus stop sign and a fleetliner bus. The blinds are down on a lot of shops and outside the shoe shop there are baskets and displays of shoes .
Still the same buildings although some of the shops are different. Another one I knew where it was - not far away.
1611668179715.png

This is Mere Green Road / Lichfield Road, round the corner from me, now an estate agents although there is still a solicitors upstairs, and a turkish barbers. All the shops on the right have gone, although the municipal school house with the arch window is still there as pub. Love the lady on a bicycle - wouldn't last 5 minutes these days round there though
1611668655384.png

Green Lane / Millward Street in 1974, question for you all, looks like an old pub, was it? Love the painted advert upstairs and the side door to the accommodation, sash windows. Have you noted the height of the platforms on the ladies shoes?
Took me a while but this is the right corner. Not marked on any old maps as PH but in 1940 it was listed as a beer retailer.
Had to find the number;
1611669799606.png
Millward Street on Left (sign on fence) and Green lane to the right. All newish properties in the area.
1611669307330.png

Last edited:
Good afternoon
Crocketts Road in 1974, amazing property name on the building, clock on the front and 1894 on the pediment at the top, and I don't think you will forget this is a dispensing Chemist. Note also No. 91 which advertises Confectionary, greeting cards and tobacco!!

Attachments

• Crocketts Road - 74.jpg
    Crocketts Road - 74.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 30
341 Soho Road in 1975, this Arthur Rose Butchers in case you missed the signs - love the painted wall sign - and adverts everywhere, I am sure the council must have spoken about the amount and the "temporary" nature of some of the posters. Have you seen the blocked door arch on the side?

Attachments

• 341 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    341 Soho Road - 75.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 37
262 Green Lane from 1974 , note the sash windows, blind lowered and the size of the cigarette advert, also not the lack of rubbish. Note the doll in the side window? I am not sure there are not many traditional childrens clothes shops around - and if so can you imagine the children wearing the clothes?

Attachments

• 262 Green Lane - 74.jpg
    262 Green Lane - 74.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 29
239 Kenelm Road in 1973, love the old Twinings advert, and the ornamental brickwork on the front on the building. In front of the store are old brick paviours. In the window they offer Red Diamond cash stamps.

Attachments

• 239 Kenelm Road- 73.jpg
    239 Kenelm Road- 73.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 32
240 Somerville Road in 1973, blast from the past with this hardware store. Its rack of mops and brooms, advert offering to sharpen and set your saw as well as garden tools. Pots and pans in the window and an advert for Pink Paraffin - you can see the paraffin pump in the shop through the window. Can you remember the smell ?

Attachments

• 240 Somerville Road - 73.jpg
    240 Somerville Road - 73.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 36
240 Somerville Road in 1973, blast from the past with this hardware store. Its rack of mops and brooms, advert offering to sharpen and set your saw as well as garden tools. Pots and pans in the window and an advert for Pink Paraffin - you can see the paraffin pump in the shop through the window. Can you remember the smell ?

steve is that somerville road running down the side of the shop..only ask as the road sign says st benedicts road

lyn

I am assuming so I don't know the area and am only going on what was written on the back of the photo - I have just double checked and that is what is written - I am happy to be proven wrong though!

I am assuming so I don't know the area and am only going on what was written on the back of the photo - I have just double checked and that is what is written - I am happy to be proven wrong though!

thanks steve i will try and sort that location out then

lyn

Good afternoon
Crocketts Road in 1974, amazing property name on the building, clock on the front and 1894 on the pediment at the top, and I don't think you will forget this is a dispensing Chemist. Note also No. 91 which advertises Confectionary, greeting cards and tobacco!!
This is still a chemist. Pediment was still there until about 2018 according to street view.
1611843798924.png

341 Soho Road in 1975, this Arthur Rose Butchers in case you missed the signs - love the painted wall sign - and adverts everywhere, I am sure the council must have spoken about the amount and the "temporary" nature of some of the posters. Have you seen the blocked door arch on the side?
This view is 2017 as I needed to find one without leaves on the tree!!
1611844148674.png

262 Green Lane from 1974 , note the sash windows, blind lowered and the size of the cigarette advert, also not the lack of rubbish. Note the doll in the side window? I am not sure there are not many traditional childrens clothes shops around - and if so can you imagine the children wearing the clothes?
This is the best I could do as for some reason you can't travel beyond the shop down Green Lane.
1611844527496.png

1611844838390.png

See the sign says "Established here for over 75 years"
This was the sign placed outside when they closed

ar.png

Hope that deco building (Tesco) is listed post #44 (original post #32). How wonderful if the original fascia was underneath the modern Tesco one. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a Barclays Bank (post #32) in that style of building before. Viv.
It was definitely a Burtons and yes it had a snooker room above it, I’ve played there any times in the 60s

303 Soho Road in 1975, this one takes a bit of studying, Evening Mail sign, an advert for the Jamaican Weekly Gleaner, etched window sign for Cards and pens, window sticker for Corona pop , travel agent sign, midland Red advert and the "proper" pram in the doorway
This was the same shop c1960 - looking better maintained. Viv.

D6072ABA-8AB0-4A0E-8ACF-6CE582C7C800.jpeg

Arthur road Butchers is still trading at the address, and has been since 1889, entrance is on Babington Road.

Arthur road Butchers is still trading at the address, and has been since 1889, entrance is on Babington Road.

Signs have been up for years, I don't think Arthur Rose is still trading in Babington Road.
When it closed they said they had been trading for 130 years.

Last edited:
Back