• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

Sorted, a different SSD and a fresh download of Windows has it fixed, after a lot of time and infinite patience., just got to get some of the tat that comes with windows off and salvage stuff from the old hard drive.
Great news, would like to know what i can safely do without on W10, but am afraid of removing anything i shouldn't.

Anyone with a list feel free to PM me, would be much appreciated.

You need to make a USB boot drive on your laptop then try and boot your PC with it (if you don't have one you can pick one up from Argos or bigger supermarkets). £5 on a USB drive is better than £85 and in reality its the first thing the shop would try. Git it a go and report back

That is very good information! Very simply described...........

I just bought a new PC with Win 11 and spent ages trying to get rid of stuff, Microsoft even tried to stop me downloading Google Chrome and forcing me to have Microsoft edge but I won in the end but they still keep trying.

I just bought a new PC with Win 11 and spent ages trying to get rid of stuff, Microsoft even tried to stop me downloading Google Chrome and forcing me to have Microsoft edge but I won in the end but they still keep trying.
I had the same recently.

Unfortunately, Izzy, they are all the same. MS try's to control everything they touch including LinkedIn. Apple & Google do the same thing and its just going to get worse.

mike as you know my new chromebook does not have windows..this was my choice as i do not need it..what i have works perfectly well for my needs

lyn
Seconded. Just bought Julie a new chromebook, (from UK, French keyboard conflicts badly with muscle memory). The last one met its expiry date, this one is good to 2030. She is ambicomputerate, she also has an iPad, horses for courses.
Andrew.

Had a problem with laptop last week. Could get videos up, picture came on but no sound. Tried all sots but no luck and took it to local shop. He worked on it for 1/2 hour whilst I was there but couldn't find the problem, so left it with him. When I picked it up he said it was a problem with the Registry. Asked him how much I owed and he said nothing That is what I call service

My laptop keeps closing down and immediately reopens (Windows 11) Chrome. .Any ideas. Please?
Hi Carolina. I haven't come across this one before!! Usual cause for an unplanned shutdown is overheating but it wouldn't normally restart by itself. However worth checking there is no dust in the fan outlet. If your battery is removable shut down the laptop, disconnect the power lead (if connected), remove the battery and then press the power button for a couple of seconds. Then put it together again and see if that has made any difference.

i frequently copy my programs onto a back up usb drive and download a new copy of win 10 some of the updates and rubbish they download with there upgrades loses some of my drivers.
i have 2 pc so while one is reinstaling a fresh copy i can use the other pc wish you could still get xtree gold to del unwanted tat

i asked them once why they do it and they said "becouse we can" grrrrrrrrrrrr

i frequently copy my programs onto a back up usb drive and download a new copy of win 10 some of the updates and rubbish they download with there upgrades loses some of my drivers.
i have 2 pc so while one is reinstaling a fresh copy i can use the other pc wish you could still get xtree gold to del unwanted tat

i asked them once why they do it and they said "becouse we can" grrrrrrrrrrrr
There is SO much of because we can going on! Unfortunately it has become a way of life for the big techs etc. MS, Google, Apple etc, I use Outlook on my computer with 11, MS seem# to update weekly and for the life of me I can’t see why!

There is SO much of because we can going on! Unfortunately it has become a way of life for the big techs etc. MS, Google, Apple etc, I use Outlook on my computer with 11, MS seem# to update weekly and for the life of me I can’t see why!
i hve put the update setting for midnight , waste of time they still update when i am watching a movie. grrrrrrrrrrrr
that flippin HP is a pest too

i hve put the update setting for midnight , waste of time they still update when i am watching a movie. grrrrrrrrrrrr
that flippin HP is a pest too
Totally agree with HP! I have a printer and conference monitor with them. No instructions came with the monitor, they told me to Google it because they don’t know or don’t care either!

Does anyone know why the “BACK TO TOP” button in bottom right hand corner cannot be used as there is a mask across the bottom of screen?
There used to an X down there to clear the mask but I cannot see it now. Thanks

Does anyone know why the “BACK TO TOP” button in bottom right hand corner cannot be used as there is a mask across the bottom of screen?

The arrow is behind the ad (mask) at the bottom for me also with no way to dismiss it.

If your keyboard has a home key it should do the same as the arrow.

You are running an adblocker or DuckDuckGo? Try a different browser or adblocker. I'm happy to scroll up the navigate. :cool: Try ghostery?

I’m not running adblocker or DuckDuck. I am using MS Edge on an ipad pro 5. The mask, if that’s what it is, si also covering over Contact Us, Terms and Rules, Privacy Policy and Help buttons. Last week there was an X button to remove the mask but not now.
I will log on to my laptop later thus evening and compare.

I’m not running adblocker or DuckDuck. I am using MS Edge on an ipad pro 5. The mask, if that’s what it is, si also covering over Contact Us, Terms and Rules, Privacy Policy and Help buttons. Last week there was an X button to remove the mask but not now.
I will log on to my laptop later thus evening and compare.
That's educational for me as I didn't know you could do that. I don't have a modern I Pad. It looks as if Edge blocks ads by default there. It was ported from Windows, so a relatively new development on Apple kit. You could try another browser like Safari? I get a mass of ads using Bing on Windows 11 Laptop and can tune out the ads on Apple Laptop.

Thanks but I have just solved the problem. The X button is now centre screen below the Google ad. It used to far right in the corner of the mask. In Safari it is in the corner of the ad. I am calling it a mask because I do not know the correct term.

Just had a load of rubbish from microsoft regarding the next update of W11:
We are entering a new era of AI, one that is fundamentally changing how we relate to and benefit from technology. With the convergence of chat interfaces and large language models you can now ask for what you want in natural language and the technology is smart enough to answer, create it or take action. At Microsoft, we think about this as having a copilot to help navigate any task. We have been building AI-powered copilots into our most used and loved products – making coding more efficient with GitHub, transforming productivity at work with Microsoft 365, redefining search with Bing and Edge and delivering contextual value that works across your apps and PC with Windows.
Today we take the next step to unify these capabilities into a single experience we call Microsoft Copilot, your everyday AI companion. Copilot will uniquely incorporate the context and intelligence of the web, your work data and what you are doing in the moment on your PC to provide better assistance – with your privacy and security at the forefront. It will be a simple and seamless experience, available in Windows 11, Microsoft 365, and in our web browser with Edge and Bing. It will work as an app or reveal itself when you need it with a right click. We will continue to add capabilities and connections to Copilot across to our most-used applications over time in service of our vision to have one experience that works across your whole life.
Sounds like it will be even more difficult to to find what you want, rather than what they think (or want) you to want.

oh crikey mike i got lost in the first paragraph :D so pleased i dont run on windows now..life is so much easier

lyn

Well, I'm not one bit impressed with Windows 11, I have had my new high spec PC for one week now and so far I would much prefer Win 10.
I find it slower to load from the days first startup, slower to turn off, most annoying is it's slower to open from sleep, which I use on and off all day long, and there are loads of comments regarding this all over the net

I've bought a new Eco Epson printer as my old one is about 20 years old and the inks are increasingly expensive. This one has refillable tanks. Epson claim that you can control it with an App. I'll see how it takes to a mix of Apple and Windows laptops a Windows desktop and our phones...

Well, I'm not one bit impressed with Windows 11, I have had my new high spec PC for one week now and so far I would much prefer Win 10.
I find it slower to load from the days first startup, slower to turn off, most annoying is it's slower to open from sleep, which I use on and off all day long, and there are loads of comments regarding this all over the net
I suspect these things are tested with a fast American internet connection with loads of capacity. Perhaps turn off the setting for peer sharing of Win updates if you've not done so already? My lad is a gamer and he found that his PC works best connected directly to the router with an old-fashioned wire...

Back