• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Commonwealth Games Bull

Had hoped it would be in New Street. It’ll make a big impact on travellers whether it’s visitors arriving, people going to/returning from work or weary shoppers. It’s also serious and humorous at the same time. Well done Brum. Love it ! Viv.

Hope there’s a bit of a celebration when he’s brought and installed in the Atrium (ie not moved at night as before). A reminder of Birmingham's successful hosting of the 2022 Commonwealth Games as well as a little boost for people. All helps to raise the profile and capability of a place. Viv.

Last edited:
The Commonwealth Bull is being discussed on BBC Breakfast this morning, showing updates from a workshop in London. The BBC is asking the nation for name suggestions for the bull. Should the bull be named by brummies though? Andy Street is at the workshop to give his view.

The Commonwealth Bull is being discussed on BBC Breakfast this morning, showing updates from a workshop in London. The BBC is asking the nation for name suggestions for the bull. Should the bull be named by brummies though? Andy Street is at the workshop to give his view.
Couldn't agree more. I thought it had a name in any case, namely "Raging Bull". It will probably be Brummie McBull Face, that wins the public vote. :rolleyes:

Cannot think I am too inspired by any of them . Boulton, despite Brum connotations, as used like this, sounds like a schoolmaster addressing a pupil.

I can see it being dismantled and taken away when someone breaks their neck trying to climb it.

I actually entered the competition on naming the Bull on 24th May 2023 and suggested the following:

"I suggest a most suitable name for the Bull would be

"Boulton"

After the Birmingham born Matthew Boulton a business man, inventor, mechanical engineer,silversmith and abolitionist.

Kind Regards"

Obviously some of us do not have the same clout such as Ozzy Osborne in persuading the masses to get behind our suggestion, like Ozzy did on BBC news. Never mind Ozzy is still quite a nice name and I probably would have gone with this if I had not entered the name "Boulton". My name suggestion did at least reach the last four.

Back