• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cocks Moor Woods Golf Course Crater

cazzz1975

I have always wanted to know the history of the crater on the 5th hole at cocks moor woods golf course, there is very little info on the net about this, the crater is quite large and all I know about it is it was the result of a ww2 bomb. does anyone know anything about the crater?

I know the 5th hole quite well, and certainly that hole. I did not know it was a bomb crater, it must have been one hell of a big bomb.

This bomb map shows one landed on the area, not sure how accurate the position is.

Colin

Attachments

• bomb map 4a.jpg
    bomb map 4a.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 44
bomb-map.jpg

Colin

I don't think we are quite in the right place. I have overlaid you map onto an OS map and put the red circle around the location of hole 5.

Attachments

• bomb map.jpg
    bomb map.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 25
In the late 40's early 50's I used to accompany my father to Cocksmoor Wood golf course on Saturday morning for his round of golf with his colleagues from work. My recollections of the course were a wooden(?) hut at the entrance & the hole where my father used to loose balls. I think you had to drive across this excavation from one of the tees & it must of been 100 foot deep. Having looked at Morturn's map ref. on Google it looks as though it is now full of trees, I remember a bare rocky hole with extremely steep rocky sides & always thought it was a quarry, probably because that was how my father & his colleagues referred to it 65 years ago. My mother always asked how much had been spent on new balls, I suppose they were not that well off in those days!
John

Hi all,
On much the same theme - but not at Cocksmoor Wood - there is a fishery on Bills Lane, Shirley, very near the Drawbridge pub. On this site there is a pool that I was told, was the result of a wartime bomb blast. The pool IS very near a railway line, and if true, perhaps that was the real target??. I have no idea if there is any truth in this, perhaps someone will know more about it. Cheers, cresser.

Hi all,
On much the same theme - but not at Cocksmoor Wood - there is a fishery on Bills Lane, Shirley, very near the Drawbridge pub. On this site there is a pool that I was told, was the result of a wartime bomb blast. The pool IS very near a railway line, and if true, perhaps that was the real target??. I have no idea if there is any truth in this, perhaps someone will know more about it. Cheers, cresser.

There will be a few more craters at Cocksmoor Woods this coming weekend. The National Drum Show is being held there!!! Listen for the explosive sounds.

Eddie

Hi all,

Let's not forget that the German bombers were guided to their target by radio beams and the slightest error by the pilots would result in them missing their designated target. In those days I imagine that the Luftwaffe would've been satisfied that they'd actually hit Brum !
As kids we used to follow a line of craters from a stick of bombs that began in Maypole lane and went into Highters Heath and Warstock.

Let's not forget that the German bombers were guided to their target by radio beams and the slightest error by the pilots would result in them missing their designated target. In those days I imagine that the Luftwaffe would've been satisfied that they'd actually hit Brum !
As kids we used to follow a line of craters from a stick of bombs that began in Maypole lane and went into Highters Heath and Warstock.

Hi Maypolebaz - where exactly were these craters? Where in Warstock did they terminate?

Thanks

S23

Hallo Speedy,

We're talking early 50s now, so bear with me !

I think the first crater was in what we called "The balloon field", which was in Maypole lane, opposite Cotford rd.
The next one landed in Sladepool Farm rd, (outside our house, no 210) but the crater was filled by POWs.
There was a field in Highters Heath rd, just up from Gorleston rd (now Highters close), which had a short row of prefabs in it. There was a crater at the rear of the field, very close to Arlington grove.

There was another crater we used to go to but I'm afraid my memory fails me.
Hope this helps.

Baz.

Thanks Baz

This is fascinating - I grew up in Warstock 50's - 60's and never knew about this - just goes to show how history gets lost! I remember the air-raid shelters at the rear of Highter's Heath School and the one halfway down Warstock Road - so maybe they did prove to be useful after all!

Cheers

S23

If you remember the air raid shelters by the school then I might not be that much older than you, S23 !

Another early memory, on the edge of Warstock this time. There was a field on the corner of Prince of Wales lane and Maypole lane that is now Maypole grove/Mayberry close and I remember being with a bunch of kids that had got into a storage area, fenced off with army bedsprings, that was set up there. Inside was a number of army marquees filled with medical stores. My kid brother broke a bottle he'd found and I can still remember the smell of the liquid that was in it.

(Where, in Warstock did you grow up ?).

Speedy23,
I too remember that air-raid shelter on Warstock Rd, on the grass between Limekiln Lane and Stanbury Road. Used to jump off the thing trying to do ourselves an injury!!. I also remember that there was one on the playing field at Grendon School as well, it was at the top of the field near to the rear of the old E57 Club. We wouldn`t go in it because one of the `big kids` said there was Germans in there!!!!!!! Used to live in Shawbrook Grove and have many many happy memories of the area.

Hi all

I grew up at the top end of Warstock Road just down from the garage and what I think was Warstock House. Sorry to hijack Cazz's thread but does anyone remember the little traffic island at the bottom of Highter's Heath Lane/Warstock Road with the seat around the tree in the middle? I believe it was provided to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubliee (but I could be/am probably wrong!!).

There is indeed a huge crater by hole 5. Did not realise it was due to a bomb. I'm currently working on whether there actually was an AA battery at the location of hole 9, which is a more elevated position

Back