• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clinton court appearance

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
The following text (below) is from the Birmingham Daily Post of the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Sept 1900. It concerns John and William Clinton who are the brothers of my Grandfather. The reason I am posting this is that I don’t know the outcome of any future court appearances, i:e fines, sentence, etc. What I do know is that at the time of the 1901 census, John Clinton was in prison, so obviously between the period of 5-9-00 and 31-3-01 (1901 census date) there must have been further court appearances. Is there a way I can find out the information I require without going to the library and trawling through pages and pages of the Daily Post. Your help would be most appreciated.

“Stabbing Affray in Scholefield Street - Birmingham Daily Post Wed 5 Sept 1900

Prisoners Committed for Trial

The Deputy Stipendiary (Mr H A Pearson), was occupied for some time yesterday in hearing a case in which three young men, John Clinton (21), stamper, Royal Oak Yard, Great LIster Street; John Hampton (22), brass caster, back of 81, Cromwell Street; and William Clinton (23), brass caster, Rupert Street, were charged with being concerned in an attack upon Patrick Welch, 3, back of 179, Scholefield Street, on the night of August 18th. Mr P Baker defended. - The prosecutor said that about 11.40 on the night of the 18th ult. he was going along Scolefield Street, when he saw a disturbance. On going to see what was the cause he found John Clinton arguing with a man named Hart. Clinton had a knife in his hand, and was about to stab Hart when the prosecutor interfered, and was himself stabbed in the chest. He fell to the ground and was afterwards takem to the General Hospital, where he remained as in-patient until yesterday, and was still an out-patient. In cross-examintaion, he denied being drunk at the time. There were about 150 people present. The knife was a long-bladed weapon with a black handle. He had not been in trouble 40 times, or anything like it, and had never been in prison. He remembered being kicked, while he was lying on the ground after being stabbed. He did not see William Clinton there. William Hart, who resides in Scholefield Street, said the men came up to him and threatened him. He got hold of Hampton, but some women pulled him off, and as they did so one of them said, "Patsy Welch has been stabbed." Hart said he did not see William Clinton present during the struggle. - From the evidence of a girl named Mary Aston, it appeared that the disturbance first originated by John Clinton chasing a young man named Farrell with a knife. The latter got away, and then Clinton threatened to "stick the knofe" into witness. She said she saw William Clinton seize Welch by the throat when he was on the ground, and John Hampton kick him. - Mr Millward, resident surgeon at the General Hospital, said that when admitted to the instritution Welch was suffering from an uncised wound about an inch and a quarter long in the upper part of the chest on the right side, penetrating between the ribs and entering the cavity of the chest. He had lost a good deal of blood, and the wound was a dangerous one. He found no bruises upon the body. - Detective Sergeant Brown, who arrested John Clinton and Hampton, said that the former, in reply to the charge, said, "I never carry a knife." Hampton said, "I admit I was there, but not when Welch was stabbed." - William Clinton, who was arrested by Police Constable Langley (104D), said he was not guilty. The prisoners pleaded not guilty, and reserved their defence. They were committed to the Sessions, bail being allowed.”

Terry

You can search Birmingham Post up to 1918 online at this address: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/.

You would then have to pay (1 month is just under £10) to see the article or make a note of the date and go up town. It does save the trawling through page after page. Someone on this forum might have a subscription.

Janice

I have searched for each of the three names for 2 years after the date of the hearing, and come up with nothing, I'm afraid. It looks as if the later court appearance was not covered.

As well as the article you quote there is a reference in the Post of 21st August 1900 but I can't access it.

Janice

Thank you all for your efforts, at least the article by mikejee is something new to me. I will have to have a look at the newspaper archives.

Mike, I have also searched for an article on the court appearance and could not find anything - I access the papers through the Library site and I have just noticed the last date I can search in 1900 for the Birmingham Daily Post on-line is 29th September 1900 - are you able to access the BDP after this or is that why the court case is not showing up?

Polly
I recently joined the paid British Newspapers website. It was a special offer of £1 for a month, and i found it so useful that I decided to allow the subscription to continue at the normal price. The search engine on it is not as good, and the reproduction often is not as good as the other site, but it does have a wider range of papers, and , particularly in this case they cover a wider period. It was from this site that I got the reference. Have not looked at exactly how long the birmingham papers are covered for, but it seems to be about up to the end of WW1 at the moment. There do seem to be a few odd issues that are missing though

Mike - I will have to keep a look out to see if they do that offer again :)
I wonder if the names are just not showing up on the search - do you know how often the court 'sessions' were held?

I have found the Article in the Birmingham Daily Post 05 September 1900 on the Find My Past website titled STABBING AFFRAY IN SCHOLEFIELD STREET. but unable to upload it. It says Prisoners committed to trial. I will keep trying to upload it.
John

Hi John - the article dated 5th September is the one Terry has typed on the first post of this thread - we are looking for a report on the trial to see what happened to John and William Clinton - Terry's ancestors.

That's ok John :encouragement: it's good to see the article as it appeared in the paper. Hopefully the follow up article about the trial will be found eventually.

Thanks for looking John, I have got a copy of the newspaper report but I copied and pasted it here thinking it might show up better. Like I said earlier John was in prison during the 1901 census and William was living at home with his wife so obviously John got sent down for how long, I don't know, and William, I assume was let off or got away with a fine. It would be nice to know.

Terry

The following text (below) is from the Birmingham Daily Post of the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Sept 1900. It concerns John and William Clinton who are the brothers of my Grandfather. The reason I am posting this is that I don’t know the outcome of any future court appearances, i:e fines, sentence, etc. What I do know is that at the time of the 1901 census, John Clinton was in prison, so obviously between the period of 5-9-00 and 31-3-01 (1901 census date) there must have been further court appearances. Is there a way I can find out the information I require without going to the library and trawling through pages and pages of the Daily Post. Your help would be most appreciated.

“Stabbing Affray in Scholefield Street - Birmingham Daily Post Wed 5 Sept 1900

Prisoners Committed for Trial

The Deputy Stipendiary (Mr H A Pearson), was occupied for some time yesterday in hearing a case in which three young men, John Clinton (21), stamper, Royal Oak Yard, Great LIster Street; John Hampton (22), brass caster, back of 81, Cromwell Street; and William Clinton (23), brass caster, Rupert Street, were charged with being concerned in an attack upon Patrick Welch, 3, back of 179, Scholefield Street, on the night of August 18th. Mr P Baker defended. - The prosecutor said that about 11.40 on the night of the 18th ult. he was going along Scolefield Street, when he saw a disturbance. On going to see what was the cause he found John Clinton arguing with a man named Hart. Clinton had a knife in his hand, and was about to stab Hart when the prosecutor interfered, and was himself stabbed in the chest. He fell to the ground and was afterwards takem to the General Hospital, where he remained as in-patient until yesterday, and was still an out-patient. In cross-examintaion, he denied being drunk at the time. There were about 150 people present. The knife was a long-bladed weapon with a black handle. He had not been in trouble 40 times, or anything like it, and had never been in prison. He remembered being kicked, while he was lying on the ground after being stabbed. He did not see William Clinton there. William Hart, who resides in Scholefield Street, said the men came up to him and threatened him. He got hold of Hampton, but some women pulled him off, and as they did so one of them said, "Patsy Welch has been stabbed." Hart said he did not see William Clinton present during the struggle. - From the evidence of a girl named Mary Aston, it appeared that the disturbance first originated by John Clinton chasing a young man named Farrell with a knife. The latter got away, and then Clinton threatened to "stick the knofe" into witness. She said she saw William Clinton seize Welch by the throat when he was on the ground, and John Hampton kick him. - Mr Millward, resident surgeon at the General Hospital, said that when admitted to the instritution Welch was suffering from an uncised wound about an inch and a quarter long in the upper part of the chest on the right side, penetrating between the ribs and entering the cavity of the chest. He had lost a good deal of blood, and the wound was a dangerous one. He found no bruises upon the body. - Detective Sergeant Brown, who arrested John Clinton and Hampton, said that the former, in reply to the charge, said, "I never carry a knife." Hampton said, "I admit I was there, but not when Welch was stabbed." - William Clinton, who was arrested by Police Constable Langley (104D), said he was not guilty. The prisoners pleaded not guilty, and reserved their defence. They were committed to the Sessions, bail being allowed.”

Terry
Hi Terry my name is Lorraine and I am the granddaughter of William Clinton. I to have been searching for many years for newspaper reports on the sentencing of John and William Clinton but to no avail, my mother was born in 1917 so she probably new nothing about it.

Back