• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Christensen

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Hi,

Looking for any information on an Anton and Emma (nee Moseley) Christensen who lived at 6 Mill Lane, Northfield in around 1905. They do not appear on the 1911 Census and it is thought they emimgrated to Canada/USA, although no record of this on online passenger lists. Anton was a pianoforte maker.

Thanks

i think ive found anton in 1901 if this helps

anton peter christenson (s) age 24 piano case maker denmark danish subject

living in colville rd balsall heath boarding with alfred ellard and family.

Piano makers listed in 1904 were;

PIANOFORTE MAKERS.
Alexander & Ward, Claybrook street
Allen E. F. & Sons Lim. 39 Horse fair
Dale, Forty & Co. 83 New street & 43 & 49 Pinfold street
French James Martin, 34 Bath row
Murdoch John g. & Co. Limited, 155 & 157 Corporation street
Riley Joseph & Sons, 25 & 23 Constitution hill; 56 & 58 Corporation street & 33 Martineau street
Sumes William. Limited, 21 Ombersley road, Sparkbrook ; Prudential buildings,Corporation st. & City arcades
Wilson Archibald. 14 Broad st. corner & 122 Park street, Aston

In 1896 there were also

Hinton James, 169 Coventry road.
Holt John, 81 Latimer street
Priestley W. H. & Sons, 71 & 73 Colmore row
Ri!ey W. S. & Son, Corporation street ; works, Dalton street

Don’t know if this helps, as none are particularly close to the lodging address
mike

There's an Anton & an Emma CHRISTENSON travelling to Montreal on 9th May 1907 on board the ss Southwark from Liverpool - no children. His age is 30 and her's 28. The only possible problem I see with that is that his occupation is shown as a farmer, but he could have changed his job in that space of 6 years.

Regards,

Maurice

i presume this is your emma moseley in 1881 living clifford st. aston manor

walter moseley 30 goldsmith and jeweller (tobacconist)
emma 30
rowland j 6
alice 4
emma 2 all born bham.

two lodgers.

Thanks!

Yes, Shera that is the Emma Moseley I am interested in and the 1901 information is new to me so thanks.

Sospiri - hard to tell. It could be - the ages are about right, but the occupation is not. There are a few blind alleys. I thought it would be easy with these names, but you have to be careful with Scandinavian families leaving for Canada via the UK.

The pianoforte makers might be relevant, but again hard to tell.

Great site this.

Dave

Perhaps he had to declare a different occupation (and follow it) to be able to emigrate?
I'd think there was more demand for farmers that piano makers!

There were another Anton & Emma in 1909 with umpteen children, but they were Swedish. There's no nationality on the 1907 entry - only the fact that they were foreign.

Maurice

Yes, it occurred to me that he may not have revealed his true occupation!

The 1907 listing looks promising on that basis. I have a copy of the 1909 passenger list - they were clearly Swedish and arrived in the UK from Harwich on route to Montreal - way off beam.

Maurice,

I have obtained the passenger records on SS Southwark from Collectionscanada and Anton Christensen is recorded on that as a carpenter - which does fit! So many thanks for the lead.

I only have one passenger record left to find and that is for Henry Cole who would have travelled to Montreal at the same time (1901 - 1911). He was also a piano maker.

I have been through the 1911 Canadian Census for Bruce County and it failed to unearth anything, but I am encouraged to go through it again now.

Dave

Dave:

Piano case makers could also be described as cabinetmakers or joiners or carpenters. He may not necessarily have made the complete case, but just worked on part of the carcase. As you may have noticed on some of the censuses, enumerators frequently change occupations to fit their "approved" list of occupations and this may have been the case here.

Trawling through that Canadian Census is a bit of a bind, but you've made good progress over the last few days, so it's worth persisting, maybe even to the extent of searching a little outside of the expected district.

Good hunting,

Maurice

I have just had an amazing response to a thread I posted some time ago on that part of the family that emigrated to Canada, so there is nothing to lose in trying on the part which went to USA. I now know that Anton and Emma Christensen left Mill Lane in Northfield in the early part of the 20th century and ended up in Wayne County, Michigan. They had three children Anton Jr, Robert and Philip and three GC - Sandra, Ingrid and Philip Jr. I have US Census records to 1940, but if you are related and wish to share any information, glad to hear from you. Thanks.

Back