• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chadwick William & Martha

Re: William & Martha Chadwick

Claire

Kelly's 1921
Chadwick, Annie (Mrs) Shopkeeper - 162 Brearley Street

Suzanne

Thanks everyone, computer went a bit mad there and wouldn't let me on haha

Thanks for all the help, yes sorry Smtr i think it's her husband who's on Sutton Street, not sure why they were living apart? I need to investigate Arthur more, just been checking her dads brothers siblings and one of her cousins ends up on Hingeston Street married one year before her, this must be the address she used when she married William, think i have found a few more on the 1911, could you possibly check Walter Barnes for me, mother Annie, sister Clara he's listed as born 1896 and resident in Birmingham, might give us some more clues, thanks so much for all this help, it's brilliant! Nice find on the Kellys! shame it doesn't name the shop :(

Hi Claire
Annie Barnes - B1873 Bham - charwoman - widow
Walter Barnes B1896 Bham - son metal bolter
Harold Barnes B1899 Bham- son
Clara Barnes B1901 Bham - daughter
Rose Barnes B1902 Bham - daughter
Annie Barnes B1909 Bham - daughter
Marie Killard B1846 Bham - widow - boarder - dressmaker
Address is Bk 209 Spring Hill, All Saints, Bham

Thanks for that Smtr, seems the family all stayed in the same area, should make it more helpful to find the others hopefully, i have some more children i can add now, maybe find connections on GR now :)

Smtr, can you post the full details of the 1911 for Arthur please, i'm going to chase him up now and see where he fits in, seems more then coincidence to me, i am just wondering if one of his parents is linked to my family :)

Thomas barnes B1862 Glouc - wood work machinist - head
Polly Barnes B1862 Glouce - wife - married 30 years - 5 children born, 5 alive.
Charles Barnes B1885 Glouc - son - Ry coach builder (presumably railway for Ry?)
Thomas Barnes B1887 Glouce - son - wood sawyer
Arthur Barnes B1891 Glouc - son Ry coach builder
Florance Barnes B1897 - daughter - gloucester
Kathrine Barnes B1899 - daughter - worcestershire

Thanks smtr, not finding a marriage for them anywere, two possible Thomas's one a Thomas H, could stand for Harvey, will see if i can trace both sets of parents back, there has to be a connection here, just what? lol

One possible addition

1932 Barnes Annie (Mrs.), clothier, 63 Stafford street
1933 &1936 no 63 not listed

Thanks Mike, i bet thats her, she's obviously chopping and changing her name for reasons i may never know, but she would have had to register her business, so i thought i'd have to find her threw them somehow....now i know why i'm not finding them lol Do you have any idea where Stafford Street is? Spoke to my cousin, she said something about her having a cafe/restaurant near New Street too, it would have been mid 1930's she said, so she's deffinately getting around and building her empire.

Claire
I’m afraid I’ve led you up a wild goose track (!!) with the stafford st link. Going back earlier you find from (at least) 1895-1921 Barnes Harry, 63-64 Stafford st, clothier . Looking at the 1901 census the Annie here was married to Harry, was 43 in 1901, and born in Brum
Incidently, stafford st was about where James Watt Queensway is now.
Mike

No problem Mike, every little thing is worth following up :) hopefully someting else will turn up, i'm going to scout Ancestry today, see if i can't find more info from War records.

I have detail, of a John and Annie Chadwick and son with the Benton Family visiting, on the day, lists, everything, I have Family History file detail of the Benton,s. Archer Family connected just visiting.

Hi Claire and mike
Way back in the forty and period period there was. A couple named Chadwick whom had a son named Ronald ,whom I went to school with
And jusr scrolling through the threads there is mentioned of spring hill I think it said 209 back of spring hill

Well they lived on spring hill they lived on the corner of inglby street spring hill passage spring hill and I think is father was George
He was a little chap very strict with him and his mother was and about four doors from the corner was a very tiny second hand clothes shop
I believe Ronnie got involved with the scrap business for awhile and progressed to a ware house business which he set up
In park road hockley,
I think it was an hardware business in park road hockley
So I think it might be worth cross checking from there for the Chadwick family there was only one son named Ronnie ,RonaldAlso I think its worth checking Mrs Barnes out on lichfield Aston Birmingham 6 whom ran the grocery shop in the forties and fifties she had no husband and from up country
I think it was a Mrs oxhil from harborne she bought the shop from around 1951/3 period
Best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,,,

I have
John Chadwick 64 Decorator China Trade born Salop Madeley
Annie Chadwick 61 Staffs born Staffs Longton

John E Chadwick 30 Single Hotel Porter born Staffs Hanley

In the Year 1911

Back