• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Centenary Square development 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.
The completed area, Elliot, to the leftt of the Hall of Memory where people are walking. The Jury is still out on that around the H of M. I will await its finish and another photo of it.

The zigzag paving / bricks was from the 1991 Centenary Square. That will be ripped out when they switch the areas over. The areas currently open in front of the Library, ICC and Symphony Hall will also need doing.

hopefully the hall of memory will get a much needed clean up when all this work eventually finishes if indeed it ever is...it is the centenary this november ending ww1 i wonder if anything will be done to celebrate it and also will the public be allowed into the hall of memory...i wont hold my breath..

lyn

Last edited:
Close up to the new paving outside of The REP. Temporary tarmac separates the new paving from the old design. I think the ones outside of the Library were laid as recently as 2013 matching the 1991 style.

That's the Convention Quarter. Theatre wise as well as The REP, The Crescent Theatre is also nearby to Brindleyplace. The Old REP, The Hippodrome and the Alex are more close together.

The next Conservative Party Conference is due to start at the ICC at the end of September.

That's the Convention Quarter. Theatre wise as well as The REP, The Crescent Theatre is also nearby to Brindleyplace. The Old REP, The Hippodrome and the Alex are more close together.

The next Conservative Party Conference is due to start at the ICC at the end of September.
More screens and barriers I suspect! :eek:

Now that the paving around the Hall of Memory is open I went to check it out at midday.

First up around The REP.

Around the Hall of Memory.

A few other bits not yet open to the public.

Towards the library amphitheatre

Temporary path close to Broad Street.

Getting ready for the Conservatives this weekend.

New ICC signs.

Tents in the middle of the square temporarily.

Around the Hyatt.

New route around the Hall of Memory.

The terraces at the library will be closed from tomorrow until Wednesday, probably while the conference is on!

Apparently, at the Conservative Party Conference, it was said that anyone who could negotiate their way on foot from New Street Station to the International Convention Centre on Broad Street, without getting lost, should be put in charge of the Brexit negotiations as it would be an easier task. Dave

All the security barriers have been moved to the car park at Edgbaston Cricket Ground.

From New Street Station you could walk up Navigation Street, and go via the Mailbox to Gas Street Basin. Except they blocked the canal towpath off on Bridge Street and at the Broad Street Tunnel.

Or up Pinfold Street via the Metro works, Victoria Square, Chamberlain Square then over Centenary Way into Centenary Square. Maybe that route?

did not realise the extent of what is going on ell...do hope the lovely flower beds round the hall of memory are replanted..

lyn
They will have to dig up the bricks on the areas still open to the public eventually.

Saw seagulls and pigeons fighting over food in the square yesterday (somebody must have left bread or chips for them). Think the seagulls were winning!

Only one entrance from the railings near Broad Street was open. Then you have to walk onto the road (separated by barriers as if a motorsport event was happening here!).

Ell what a complete abortion it looks now , when I think back at how the HOM and Easy Row looked so picturesque all thos years ago . What a travesty

Willianstreeter, entirely agree with you, I remember as it was years ago, an oasis for shoppers, lawns, trees, flower beds, benchs and paths, HoM one end and the colonades at the other, Baskerville House at the rear - perfection. Now look at it. Eric

That was before my time, only Easy Row I remember was the subway near Fletchers Walk.

Easy Row ran from the western end of Paradise Street to Great Charles Street and which later formed the western side of the Paradise Circus roundabout. Broad Street and Edmund Street formed a staggered cross-road with a small roundabout at the junction.

Easy Row ran from the western end of Paradise Street to Great Charles Street and which later formed the western side of the Paradise Circus roundabout. Broad Street and Edmund Street formed a staggered cross-road with a small roundabout at the junction.
I can vaguely remember the old layout here, used to catch the 7 bus, get off opposite the HoM to get the ration books from somewhere near there and then I used to go to a Marsh and Baxter for Sausages, but I cannot remember where that was. Anyone help me? Is there a map of the area as it was when the buses still loaded in Edmund Street, probably as David's description above.
Bob

I can vaguely remember the old layout here, used to catch the 7 bus, get off opposite the HoM to get the ration books from somewhere near there and then I used to go to a Marsh and Baxter for Sausages, but I cannot remember where that was. Anyone help me? Is there a map of the area as it was when the buses still loaded in Edmund Street, probably as David's description above.
Bob

The link to Birmingham Airport was there also all those years ago not that far , where I was to live some years later Brindley Drive

Back to normal around 2 weeks after the Conference ended. But this temp tarmac path is closed.

This space will have to wait until 2019 for the ice rink and big wheel to return.

Paving near Symphony Hall. Later walking past on the other side that hasn't been done was a homeless man sitting on the old paving.

Portacabins moved nearer the Amphitheatre.

One path closed and another opened outside of The REP.

what a thoroughly dull drab depressing sight that is...save for a couple of trees that has survived but no doubt not for long ...:(

They might plant new trees when it's done.

Was thinking that they still need to dig up the old bricks in front of the ICC / Symphony Hall but that part is still open to the public.

just wondering if there is going to be rememberence day service in birmingham city centre this year?? mind you looking at the shambles the city is in is there anywhere where a service could be held that the public could easily get to??

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,

It just struck me that in that fifth picture, if they demolished the Town Hall & the Hall of Memory, there would be nothing left from my early years in Brum. Of the newer buildings, I've only been in Symphony Hall about five years ago. Brum was a bomb site when I left in 1961 and seems to be an even bigger bomb site now! :)

Maurice

yes maurice i agree....been pondering lately about things and i feel it is almost as if for many years the powers that be are ashamed of our city and and have no wish to save buildings that would certainly have been admired by the younger brummies and indeed tourists this is why i am so glad that i was born when i was because at least i have my memories and of course we have photographic evidence of the wonderful architecture that has been systematically raised to the ground and there is no doubt in my mind will continue to be the case

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back