• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canadian BMD records

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Hi,

[All my grandfather's aunts and uncle emigrated to Ontario, Canada in the early part of the 20th century from their homes in Northfield. According to my father, contact with them slowly fell away after the second world war. As this is a significant chunk of my male line I am keen to complete the family tree, but I am finding it difficult to identify a site which provides BMD records for Canada. Collectionscanada has been recommended, but this is hit and miss. Any ideas?] seen earlier question from Dianne, but if anybody has any further advice on Ontario grateful to hear.

Thanks.

Dave

Last edited:
I'm no expert on Canadian genealogy, but about five years ago I had occasion to help a lady who had been adopted and was trying for fill out what little she knew of her biological father (now dead) who came from Ontario.

I contacted the Secretary of the local family history society out there and a few weeks later she came back with a stack of information and didn't charge me a cent. She even managed to get hold of a copy of his medical discharge papers. The story was that he was a farmer who had been injured in the war and invalided out of the Canadian Army. The facts that emerged were that he actually worked in a flower shop and was discharged from the Army on mental grounds! :(

So worth a try. You may find a sympathetic ear.

Hi Zippy,

As sospiri suggested then try and find a geneology/local history website for the particular area in Canada.. that is how I got on the track for my Uncle Clement -- I just came across his name mentioned in a very large family tree (no other details) and I took it from there.

My experience of Canadian records are they are very hard to find. are you on Ancestry worldwide ? .. there are some good search resources on there.

(I will PM you)

Hi
Canada is very slow in posting their genealogy on line. Googling "Ontario Marriages" gives you a link for early 1800's to 1912 for most couties in Ontario. You basically have to know what county they were married. If you know the particular county for the person you are looking for, then go to the local papers for marriage, birth, death. Another source is the local library of that town Here you can find Telephone directories local history of people etc. They will also have the local cemeteries. The major newspaper in Toronto is the "Toronto Star" or "Globe and Mail" another source is the National Archives of Canada, 393 Wellington St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Some Church records for Ontario are held in Mc Master University in Hamilton and also Anglican Archives on Adelaide Street in Toronto. Hope this helps

Hi,

[All my grandfather's aunts and uncle emigrated to Ontario, Canada in the early part of the 20th century from their homes in Northfield. According to my father, contact with them slowly fell away after the second world war. As this is a significant chunk of my male line I am keen to complete the family tree, but I am finding it difficult to identify a site which provides BMD records for Canada. Collectionscanada has been recommended, but this is hit and miss. Any ideas?] seen earlier question from Dianne, but if anybody has any further advice on Ontario grateful to hear.

Thanks.

Dave
Hi Mr Zippy (Dave) If you give me name, place and county you are looking for I will try some of the canadian sites for you.

Kath,

Thanks for the offer.

I know that one family (Henry Cole, Alice Cole and Kitty Cole) emigrated to Southampton, Ontario (Bruce County I think) in about 1912. In 1914, Emma Moseley (Alice's mother) and Ivy Moseley were on a ship bound for Montreal and therefore may also have ended up in Southampton (although Emma is buried in Detroit we understand). The other family is Anton and Emma Christensen (nee Moseley) who I have lost trace of after 1905 in Northfield (not on 1911 census and not on passenger ship lists). I understand however that they also emigrated to Canada.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave have you tried Genes Reunited. I found a lost branch of our family on there who emigrated about the same time as yours from Brum. We are now in regular contact and have swapped some lovely photo's.

Hi Mr Zippy,
If this is the right family I found Canadian passenger list for you.

Henry H Cole - age 34 born abt 1873
Arrived 18 Nov 1907 alone, vessel was the Lake Erie from Liverpool to Montreal
Alice and Kitty Cole age 31 born abt 1878 and 4 born abt 1905
Arrived Sept 10 1909 and again June 30 1911 as returning residents.

Marriage for Kitty Cole age 20 to Percy Collin Francis Edwards age 27
Her parents Henry Herbert Cole and Alice Moseley
Percy birth abt 1897 London England
His parents William Henry Edwards and Frances Elizabeth Johnson
Marriage date 11 Aug 1924
Bruce Ontario registration district Michigan
Family History # VRMCAN1923_102599

Death of Henry Herbert Hawkens Cole Sept 17 1931
age 57yrs 1month 8days
from respiratory failure and lung, brain cancer
residence at the time was Southhampton, Ontario
profession - cabinet maker
Parents Henry Cole and Elizabeth Smith

Hi Mr Zippy

I also found

Passenger list for Emma Moseley age 64 widow and Ivy age 16
June 6 1915
Ship Hesperian left Liverpool arrived Montreal

Also Emma Moseley age 70 born abt 1852 widow
came to visit daughter Alice Cole in Southampton, Ontario
arrived Detroit, Michigan Feb 24 1922

I can't find anything as far as them residing in Canada, so must have both returned to England.
Good Luck

Topsy,

Marvellous - this is fascinating. Could I trouble you to tell me what records you are referring to for Emma Moseley's visit to Alice when aged 70. You say arriving from Detroit, Michigan. This would be an internal journey then and not arrival by ship. I only ask because Emma Moseley died aged 73 and is apparently buried in Detroit - so she could have lived there.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The record was a Boarder Crossing from Detroit Michigan to Ontario it had her permenant residence as Canada in Southampton.
I have checked the USA and Canada sites for deaths in abt 1925 came up empty.

But to throw a spanner in your works did find

Emma Moseley age 77 Jan-Mar 1923 in Kings Norton 6d 94

If you want to IM me with your email address I can send you a copy of the Boarder Crossing

Hilary

Last edited:
I am not sure if there is still interest in two of the individuals mentioned above. I knew Ivy Mosely, and am attempting to contact any living relatives. I also know of Kitty Cole, and have just learned of the whereabouts of her one son and dau, so will be contacting them. If anyone is still interested in this family, or knows of relatives, I would appreciate them contacting me. I am in Canada, and am fairly experienced in Canadian research.

Pat

I am not sure if there is still interest in two of the individuals mentioned above. I knew Ivy Mosely, and am attempting to contact any living relatives. I also know of Kitty Cole, and have just learned of the whereabouts of her one son and dau, so will be contacting them. If anyone is still interested in this family, or knows of relatives, I would appreciate them contacting me. I am in Canada, and am fairly experienced in Canadian research.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I am just picking up the family tree work again after a fair break and have just seen your response! I am very interested in any details which may shed any light on Ivy Moseley and Kitty Cole. Ivy in particular is a major enigma as she is not recalled by surviving family members here in UK. If you have anything at all I would love to hear from you. There is some information given in the threads above.

Many thanks.

Dave Moseley

The other family is Anton and Emma Christensen (nee Moseley) who I have lost trace of after 1905 in Northfield (not on 1911 census and not on passenger ship lists). I understand however that they also emigrated to Canada.
Hi not sure whether or not you are still looking for Emma and Anton?

Date of departure: 9 May 1907
Port of departure: Liverpool
Passenger destination port: Quebec, Canada
On the ship SOUTHWARK
Anton Christensen
Emma Christensen

Detroit Border Crossings
Emma Christensen and son Anton aged 4 mths
Arrival Date: 9 Nov 1908
Birth Date: abt 1878
Birthplace: Birmingham
Birth Country: England
Race/Nationality: English
Port of Arrival: Detroit, Michigan
Departure Contact: Mother Emma Moseley (Belfast)
Arrival Contact: Husband Anton Christensen
Previous residence Southampton, Canada

1910 in Holly, Oakland, Michigan
Anton Christensen 33 cabinet maker in piano factory
Emma Christensen 31
Anton Christensen 2

1920 family were living in Detroit Ward 21, Wayne, Michigan
Immigration Year: 1908/1909

1930 in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Anton Christensen 52 age when married 27 born Denmark occ woodworker at automobile plant
Emma Christensen 50 age when married 25 (born England)
Philip Christensen 17 born Michigan
Robert Christensen 15 born Michigan
Anton Christensen 22 born Canada

Back