• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild

It should be fine until I can get the new server, it will be going down tonight at some point and i need to move the current box back to its proper location so expect down time tonight but it’s on new drives now instead of the ancient spinning one it was on

warren could i ask are we now running on the brand new server ? and has the rebuild now been completed ? reason i ask is because yesterday you said you were still waiting for new server

post 62 confused me...was not sure if you meant you had moved the old server or the new one ?

as it stands forum seems ok at the min and i can now view my content

thanks

Last edited:
There are still problems with "my content".

I can see posts/replies that I had made between 2010 - 2022 then nothing between 2022 - 2024 apart from the comment I made a few days ago regarding not being able to view all posts in "my content".

William

warren could i ask are we now running on the brand new server ? and has the rebuild now been completed ? reason i ask is because yesterday you said you were still waiting for new server

post 62 confused me...was not sure if you meant you had moved the old server or the new one ?

as it stands forum seems ok at the min and i can now view my content

thanks
No I’ve only got the new drives right now not the new server yet,

hoping to pick up the new server on Monday evening, i don't think you will see much difference though if I'm honest, since putting the new drives in this temp machine the site seems to be working fine and its not even touching the current hardware I'm quite gobsmacked

honestly it's sort of baffled me how well its running considering the specs of this old NAS box.

I moved it to this to keep things going while we got a new server but i never for one second expected it to cope the specs are laughable!

we went from a ryzen i5 CPU and 16GB of ram to a marvell armada 385 cpu 1.3ghz and 512MB of ram. it's floored me how well its doing

Content list now back in place, only March 2024 until 16 April missing. I can live with that ! General running on my tablet is good, no other issues.

Thanks Warren for all that you're doing.

Pete - if you're referring to the sewing machine - couldn't agree more. Would have a Singer over others any day. If you're referring to the car - no idea !

Backups are now done automatically, as soon as anything changes its replicated offsite immediately this takes care of the files like the images.

The database now backs up twice a day (thats all the posts etc)

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Content list now back in place, only March 2024 until 16 April missing. I can live with that ! General running on my tablet is good, no other issues.

Pete - if you're referring to the sewing machine - couldn't agree more. Would have a Singer over others any day. If you're referring to the car - no idea !
23rd Feb 2023 - 17th April 2024 missing for me.

the sewing machine Viv:)

it is for a few im afraid doesnt seem to be much i can do sadly :(
Are the actual posts still in the forum for others to see or are they just missing from the content list?

If they are missing completely won't that create continuity problems for others reading those threads?

Maybe not for my babbling maybe but I know Janice for one posts some very valuable info/ docs /pics.

Are the actual posts still in the forum for others to see or are they just missing from the content list?

If they are missing completely won't that create continuity problems for others reading those threads?

Maybe not for my babbling maybe but I know Janice for one posts some very valuable info/ docs /pics.
not babbling bob its a valid question and i asked that same question on post 50..if its just the list of content some members are missing thats not too bad but if the actually posts on the missing list have also been lost then we are going to have a lot of very disjointed threads...

hopefully warren can confirm how we stand on that one

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
trying something now, im importing the backup into a test database again to see if it finds the posts

My content jumps from Nov 9th 2023 to April 14th 2024.
I have found posts that I made in this time frame. eg "in the garden" on Feb. 19th 2024.
So the posts seem to still be there it is just they are not showing in "my content"

• Appreciate
This is an observation (not a moan). Just jotting this down in case it throws any light on what's been lost.

One example of mine that's completely disappeared (where neither a search on BHF nor Google turns up the original thread) is "Birmingham horse drawn buses". My replacement thread comes up, but not the original one I posted in April. Not a moan Warren, just an observation. I accept that some things will have been permanently lost. And I'm sure others will, like me, feel very relieved that we still have most of the Forum in place and operating !

• Appreciate
This is an observation (not a moan). Just jotting this down in case it throws any light on what's been lost.

One example of mine that's completely disappeared (where neither a search on BHF nor Google turns up the original thread) is "Birmingham horse drawn buses". My replacement thread comes up, but not the original one I posted in April. Not a moan Warren, just an observation. I accept that some things will have been permanently lost. And I'm sure others will, like me, feel very relieved that we still have most of the Forum in place and operating !
never under estimate my skills :D im trying everything i can to try and bring it all back im on phase 4000000000 now lol

Back