• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camera film processing in Birmingham

Bit of History for you in the mid 1960s a 20 exposure cassette of Kodachrome sold for 25 shillings and 2 pence. A sliced loaf of bread was a shilling. So a cassette of colour slide film was expensive, A colour enprint was 2 shillings and 9 pence, almost three loaves of bread. In the latter days of film pre digital photography was incredibly cheap in comparison.
I was very fortunate having been in the trade and knowing the Kodak, Agfa, and Fuji representatives I rarely bought film. I used a lot of Agfa CT18, Fuji, my favourite once I started processing my own slides was Kodak Ektachrome. But it needed home processing. Commercial processors did it to quickly and the results were too blue/cyan.
I spent a lot of the lockdown time re photographing old colour slides onto my iPhone. I must say the results have been very acceptable. See attached example. Shot on Ektachrome mid 1990’s tidied up in Photoshop. 1683307018609.jpeg

Remember when you had to take the film out of the camera in the dark ? I used to put the camera under a towel to do this in a darkened room. Viv

I remember well the efforts to protect exposed film from the light when removing it from the camera. 127 and 620 films were prone to winding loosely. Before investing in a proper darkroom bag, I folded up a rain coat around the camera then by inserting my hands and arms up the sleeves the wrong way I was able extract the exposed film from the camera safely in total darkness. The lengths we went to protect our precious images.

Remember when you had to take the film out of the camera in the dark ? I used to put the camera under a towel to do this in a darkened room. Viv
Viv, you must be older than I thought :cool:, just kidding. I actually never did that, I guess that's why my early photos with a 620 box camera were noy very good!

Back