• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Cadbury’s Bournville 1920’s loading / dispatch area , the trolley loaded with Bournville Cocoa
Source historicengland.org.uk

Attachments

• D83DC056-83FE-4A8A-A1CD-3C7BCB23A0D1.jpeg
    D83DC056-83FE-4A8A-A1CD-3C7BCB23A0D1.jpeg
    629.8 KB · Views: 16
Your previous comment about the taste has reminded me that someone I worked with had relatives in Canada who always asked her family to bring them Cadbury's chocolate from the UK as it was much better than what they could buy there!
Following on from this post I made, I have just seen this article about chocolate made in the USA which mentions Cadburys :(

Following on from this post I made, I have just seen this article about chocolate made in the USA which mentions Cadburys :(
This is your writer:
History becomes legend, legends become myth. So goes the popular saying by literary legend JRR Tolkien. In the world of the mainstream media, with the passage of time, truth becomes lies, fiction becomes fact, journalists become a joke and when enough time has passed, ‘legendary’ journalists turn into something more. They become a meme. Such is the story of The Guardian columnist Arwa Mahdawi.

According to her bio on The Guardian, Arwa Mahdawi is a “Guardian columnist and brand strategist based in New York.” In addition to these, she is also a gargantuan hypocrite and the stereotypical media hack whose sole objective is to peddle propaganda. The headlines of her column which have gone viral on social media recently illustrate it beautifully.

On the 16th of May 2020, one of her columns was published with the headline, ‘Men are less likely to wear masks – another sign that toxic masculinity kills’. She said in the column, “A number of men (including Trump) think masks make them look weak – a reminder of how damaging gender stereotypes are”. A couple of months later, she published another column, this time with the headline, ‘Shaming people who refuse to wear face masks isn’t a good look’. And no, this is not a joke.
Be VERY careful when you read her writings!

Sounds rather a dubious person, though the comment she makes about Hershey deliberately reacting their milk for their chocolate with an enzyme, (lipolysis) is true (though as far as I know only for the Hershey Bar)

Sounds rather a dubious person, though the comment she makes about Hershey deliberately reacting their milk for their chocolate with an enzyme, (lipolysis) is true (though as far as I know only for the Hershey Bar)
Yes Mike her reputation proceeds her. You maybe right about Hershey (I am not a fan) however when I read an article that is supposedly pragmatic and the word “allegedly“ is used bets are off!

This is your writer:
History becomes legend, legends become myth. So goes the popular saying by literary legend JRR Tolkien. In the world of the mainstream media, with the passage of time, truth becomes lies, fiction becomes fact, journalists become a joke and when enough time has passed, ‘legendary’ journalists turn into something more. They become a meme. Such is the story of The Guardian columnist Arwa Mahdawi.

According to her bio on The Guardian, Arwa Mahdawi is a “Guardian columnist and brand strategist based in New York.” In addition to these, she is also a gargantuan hypocrite and the stereotypical media hack whose sole objective is to peddle propaganda. The headlines of her column which have gone viral on social media recently illustrate it beautifully.

On the 16th of May 2020, one of her columns was published with the headline, ‘Men are less likely to wear masks – another sign that toxic masculinity kills’. She said in the column, “A number of men (including Trump) think masks make them look weak – a reminder of how damaging gender stereotypes are”. A couple of months later, she published another column, this time with the headline, ‘Shaming people who refuse to wear face masks isn’t a good look’. And no, this is not a joke.
Be VERY careful when you read her writings!
Thanks, I only spotted the article with the mention of Cadbury on the internet, I've never actually heard of the woman and I don't read the newspapers, as you say, you have to take a lot of it with a pinch of salt!

I think the days of the 'journalist' have slipped on by, all we get now is the editor saying "I need a page filler write me a thousand lines, any old rubbish will do."
Eric, I think you add to that something shocking to increase readership. Unfortunately as you infer there is no accountability for what is said!

Would be interested if anyone knows anything about the Cadbury’s distribution centre called ’Parkside’. Where it was? When it was opened? Any photos or stories. Thanks

That‘s interesting as it was my dad who worked at Parkside and his dad was an engine driver on the Cadbury’s railway line. If you do have any photos that would be fantastic.

It's a great item. I like the idea that even today you can sniff the same chocolate scent that surrounded Cadbury employees over 120 years ago. Viv.

But they won't taste the same. I once tasted soem chocolates that had been found in the back storeroom of a shop and were about 25 years old. Virtually no taste .I think the one I tasted was a creme centre, but was hard as a rock

Don't think this whole booklet has been posted. Look at all those sports pitches ! Viv

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803_162252_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_162252_Chrome.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230803_162243_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_162243_Chrome.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230803_162235_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_162235_Chrome.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230803_162216_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_162216_Chrome.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230803_162208_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_162208_Chrome.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230803_162140_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_162140_Chrome.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20230803_162129_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_162129_Chrome.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20230803_162259_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230803_162259_Chrome.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi Lyn, it must have been,truly a marvellous place to work, in the 50's and 60's went many times with the school visit program, lots of free goodies to!!

Hi Lyn, it must have been,truly a marvellous place to work, in the 50's and 60's went many times with the school visit program, lots of free goodies to!!
yes paul aunt june loved it there...when she came to visit us 6 kids down villa st she would always bring us a couple of brown boxes of those little penny bars of choc i think there was 100 in a box..what a treat that was :)

Back