• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

C.Markey

O

O.C.

This shop stood on the corner of Camp St and Garrison Lane and sold beer and ales from the brewery of A.Hood which was No. 30 Thimble Mill Lane
The name of the shop was C.Markey which also made and sold bread till the 1900's

More Staff in those times than you can find in PC world & Tesco's some days. Great Photo:)
Having said that I use my local Post Office shop everyday of the week its closed Sunday's

Cromwell I notice the your photo is very similar to the one I posted of The Westwood Bakery in New John Street West. Even the position of the horse and cart.........well yours is more a carriage.

camp st/garrison lane today,at the end of street you can see the derelict pub THE ROOST,beings we are on garrison lane i missed this pub first time around,other pics are of this fabulous old building garrison lane/lower dartmouth st,inside beautiful old white tiled walls like a wash house but no one inside knew anything at about it

C. Markey

Hi Cromwell, Where did you get the picture of Charles Markey's shop in Garrison Lane / Camp Street? My husband's Aunt has an original copy of that photo as it was her Grand-father's shop.

If my attachment works then you will see another picture taken at the same time of Charles and his wife, Emma, standing by the door. Does anyone know who is holding the bread basket by the cart?

Regards,
Jackie Markey,
Surrey, England

Last edited by a moderator:
Postcard Jackie.......small world and quite amazing
I cropped card to show detail but it did say also on it That it was Bee Hive Stores also C.Cooke 11 Johnstone St Handsworth

Last edited by a moderator:
C. Markey

Interesting about the Bee Hive shop. On the side of the cart is a picture of a Bee Hive and we wondered about its significance. Someone suggested that it was actually the design of a bread bin.

Charles died on 27 Nov 1914. Family memories are that his elder son, Edwin Raymond (known as Ray) did not want to carry on the business and younger son, Wilfred was away fighting in WW1 and didn't make it back until after Emma had sold the shop on to a Brewery (some doubt about this part). Emma lived until 1931 and they are both buried in Yardley Cemetary.

Charles came from Kilmington in Somerset (now Wiltshire) and Emma came from Mathon, Worcestershire. The intriguing thing is that I can't find any record of their marriage in the GRO. Their first child, Coswell Charles was born in Norwood, Lambeth on 27 Sep 1877 and died on 15 Feb 1878 at Quest Hill, Leigh, Martley, Worcestershire. Charles was a coachman at that time. Second child, Edwin Raymond was born in Pool Brook Great Malvern on 21 Mar 1878 and Charles was a groom by then. Third child, Ethel Louisa was also born at Pool Brook on 5 Jan 1882 and fourth child, Wilfred Charles (reg as Wilfrid) was born in Deritend, Aston on 10 Nov 1891.

We are not sure when Charles & Emma moved to Birmingham and opened their shop (Charles became the baker there) nor where they got their money from.

Bye the way, how do I post a picture?

Regards,
Jackie Markey

Jackie, Intresting family....the Beehive logo was used a lot in Brum from the 16th century onwards and I have a few old trade coins with this picture on ( I will sort them out later)
PM'd ya regarding posting pic

Apparently Charles liked his beer and died from a head injury being drunk and falling down the cellar stairs!

Back