• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BUTCHER family

Keith R

master brummie
Hi Found out my wife could be related to Frederick Butcher and his wife of 8/59 Longmore St - Balsall Heath
They moved there in 1937-8 but sure she had family in 3/57 with her maiden name Harris. I can trace them all up to 1965 but it goes cold from there.....in the 39 Survey its husband and wife + one other still alive...would love this to be their child....but could be a sibling ( still good if I know name). The streets housing was demolished in 70's I think and no houses there now.
Frederick went to war and listed as died in Selly Oak in 1944 and they are both buried together in a war grave at Yardley.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 possibly children registered Butcher/Harris - Brian J, Dec 1939 and Margaret, Mar 1941.

It could be Brian as the blanked out (?) entry in 1939 depending on his dob, alternatively it could be a relative or a just visitor.

Not certain but Violet Harris may be the niece of both Samuel & Beatrice Harris, her mother, Rose, and Beatrice (Edwards) being sisters and her father being Samuel's brother.

Another look and it does appear that Violet's father, Thomas Harris, was Samuel Harris' elder brother making her Samuel's niece.

Violet's mother and Beatrice were not related.

Harris is a fairly common name so probably needs a little more checking. Violet's family lived a 4 back 36 Birchall St.

Last edited:
wow you have gone to so much trouble...thanks.
Yes I have Fred and Vi at 4/36 Birchall St when they married ...so staying at her parents...not good....lol
Thanks

Back