• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burial search Florence M Jones + William and Harry Hopkins

W

Wendy

After many years of searching I have found my great aunt through probate published on the web. I now know she died in 1963, after a second marriage her name was Florence M Jones. She died at a private address in Handsworth, but lived in Perry Barr. The burial is listed on FMP burials but my subscription has run out. I am hoping she is buried in Handsworth and I may find others there as well. I hope someone can help.

Re: Burial search Florence M Jones.

Hi Wendy
There is only one Jones Burial listed in 1963 but no first name given on the index.

Details: Jones Handsworth Cemetery Reg no 44928 1963.

Louisa

Thank you Louisa that is just the news I wanted. I will search further at Handsworth now thank you so much.

Hi, I am new to this group but noticed that someone has found a relative's grave with the help of Louisa. Would someone be able to help me find my husband's grandfathers grave. I have his death certificate, but he is proving to be a difficult person to trace.

Hello & welcome Ann208,

Put the details of your husbands grandfathers death on here & this will become your favourite site,
Name, age, address, who witnessed(maybe on Grave Internment also)Folks on here always help if they can,
Cheers John

Re: Burial search William Henry Hopkins

I am trying to locate the burial place of my husbands Great Grandfather who is proving to be very elusive. We dont think he actually married my husbands grandmother (which has been a little bit of a shock) but apparently he was rarely around (but managed to sire two children):redface:.

If anyone can help his details are shown below. I have contacted, via email, Handsworth Cemetery but they have no record in the cemetery records under their jurisdiction.

William Henry Hopkins, died 21st August 1924 at Dudley Road Hospital (on death certificate it states his name as just William Hopkins). He was 50 years old. His address was given as 7 Alfred Terrace, Gt Colmore Street, B'ham.

It would be really nice also to try and locate the grave of his son (who was born after William died). He died on 21st April 1923 aged 3 years at 83 James Turner Street, Winson Green, Birmingham.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Ann

Hi Ann, was there an informant named on William Hopkins ( B,ham 6d pg 153 Sept Q)death certificate ? a relative, friend or Hospital staff ?

Do you have the death certificate for his son who died April 1923 ? need his name, his Mothers maiden name & informant if possible,,Cheers John

Last edited:

Hi John
The informant was Thomas Fletcher (for William Hopkins). Who states that he was his brother in law. We have since linked him to an Emma Jane Hopkins (who we presume is William's daughter) and now have their marriage certificate. I am amazed at how much time I spend on this computer before I realise the time! :)

For little Harry his informant was his mother A E Hopkins (Annie Elizabeth Hopkins) - who said she was married to William but we have no evidence of that whatsoever. Her maiden name was Shaw. Harry died on 21st April 1928.

Many thanks for your help.

Ann

I have searched the indexes I have for Key Hill and Warstone Lane cemeteries with no luck (The records I have are incomplete I believe). They may be in Witton Cemetery which is more difficult as we don't have indexes for Witton.

I think that I have found Harry on FMP burials.
Burial year: 1928
Surname: Hopkins
Firstnames: Harry
Register number: 12065
Place: Handsworth cemetery​
That should let the staff at Handsworth locate the burial entry in the register. The inscription section of the entry is blank, but then I've yet to see one that has anything in that section.

I haven't found an entry for William though - I'll try some different spellings :)

Hi Leslam
That is amazing. Thank you so much. I will email them.

Found the following. Not sure if it helps or not?
Surname:Hopkins
First names:Harry
Register no:12065
Place:Handsworth cemetery
Town:Birmingham
County:Warwickshire
Record source:Warwickshire Burials

From Electoral Rolls
1920-1922 at 7 Alfred Place,Great Colmore Street
Anne Hopkins,William Hopkins

1918 at 83 James Turner Street
Walter Shaw 33468, Pte, 8th Serv Bn, Devon R
William Shaw 15859, Pte, C Co, 8 Bn, Ox and Bks
1919 at 83 James Turner Street
Walter Shaw 33468, Pte, 8th Serv Bn, Devon R
William Shaw 15859, Pte., C. Co., 8 Bn., Ox. and Bks.
1920 at 83 James Turner Street
Harry Shaw,Annie Shaw,William Shaw,Walter Shaw
1922 at 83 James Turner Street
Harry Shaw,Annie Elizabeth Shaw,Walter Shaw
1925 at 83 James Turner Street
Harry Shaw,Annie Elizabeth Shaw,Walter Shaw,Ernest Ryall
1927 at 83 James Turner Street
Harry Shaw,Annie Elizabeth Shaw,William Shaw
1930 at 83 James Turner Street
Harry Shaw,Annie Shaw,Alfred Edward Shaw,Annie Elizabeth Hopkins
1935 at 83 James Turner Street
Annie Shaw,William James Hall,Florence Mabel Hall,Annie Elizabeth Hopkins
1939-1945 at 83 James Turner Street
Annie Elizabeth Hopkins,Ellen Elizabeth Hopkins
1947 at 83 James Turner Street
Annie E Hopkins,Ellen E Saunders,Edward W Saunders
1950 at 83 James Turner Street
Annie E Hopkins,Ellen E Saunders,Edward W Saunders,Agnes Bryant,Albert Bryant,Aubrey J Lucas,Kathleen M Lucas
1955 at 83 James Turner Street
Annie E Hopkins,Ellen E Saunders,Edward W Saunders
1960 at 83 James Turner Street
Ellen E Saunders,Edward W Saunders,Bernard Hopkins

Births Jun 1917
Ellen E Hopkins mmn Shaw Birmingham 6d 346
Births Jun 1925
Harry Hopkins mmn Shaw Birmingham N. 6d 602
Births Mar 1934
Bernard J Hopkins mmn Shaw Birmingham 6d 775

Hello again Ann & good searching Louisa/Wendy?Ladylinda,,,xxx

Little Harry Hopkins born 1925 & registered B,ham North vol 6d page 602 April/May/June Quarter. Mother maiden ,Shaw
(William Hopkins "proposed father of above" age 50 died 21st Aug 1924) mmh, get yer counting fingers out, Is he the Daddy?
possible if little Harry birthday March 1925 registered next Quarter,,but if William in hospital a while ?,,its very close eh!
zee leetle grey cells need a beer,,Cheers John

ps Ann,,told ya you would love this site,,the gals are great eh!

Last edited:

From Electoral Rolls
1920-1922 at 7 Alfred Place,Great Colmore Street
Anne Hopkins,William Hopkins
Hi, do you have the correct William Hopkins death cert?
On the Electoral Roll 1920-1922 above, "Mrs" Hopkins was Anne.
When she moved back to her parents' house at 83 James Turner Street in about 1930 and on subsequent Rolls she was Annie.

1911 at 22 /89 Wenman St Balsall Heath Birmingham
Harry Shaw, aged 53 born 1858 Birmingham Tube Worker
Annie Shaw,Wife aged 46 born 1865 Birmingham
Annie Elizabeth Shaw, Daughter aged 23 born 1888 Birmingham
William Shaw, Son aged 16 born 1895 Birmingham Wire Worker
Walter Shaw, Son aged 14 born 1897 Birmingham Errand Boy
Edward Alfred Shaw, Son aged 8 born 1903 Birmingham
Married 23 years

Dear All, this information is just mind boggling thank you all SO much! I have so much information now far more than I could find myself on Ancestry!! You are all so kind. I am amazed at the information from LadyLinda - we were desperate to find out where my husband's Nan (Annie Hopkins nee Shaw) lived with William (who we dont think was actually married to William Henry). So excited now!! Thank you again.

Hi LadyLinda - thank you SO much for all your hard work, I am amazed. Can I ask where you found the information on all those people who lived at James Turner Street in 1950 - the year my husband was born and lived there. I know that house and you wouldnt have got that many people in!! lol.

Thanks John, yes I do indeed LOVE it. Hope you enjoyed your beer!

I was really interested also in your info on the Regiments that the Shaw's were in. Supposedly the elusive William Henry Hopkins was in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers according to Harry's birth certificate (and his trade was Commission Agent). We cant find any of his army history at all.

The only William Hopkins I can see who is serving with the Welsh Fusiliers is the following?
1919 at 54 Balsall Heath Road
William Hopkins 88071, Pte., 4/6 R.W. Fus and a William Hopkins at 45 Balsall Heath Road 88071,Pte .5/6R.W.Fus. (this may be a mistake on the electoral rolls?)
However,just to complicate matters in 1920,at 54 Balsall Heath Road he has the following number 46504 Pte., R.W.R.
then in 1921 5095561 Pte., 3rd R.W.R.
In 1923 5095561 L.Cpl., 3rd R.W.R. then 5095561 L.Cpl., 1st Bn. R.W.R. 1925-1928.
1929-1935 5095561 Sgt., 1st Bn., R.W.R
His parents were Francis John Hopkins and (a further complication!) Ann Elizabeth Hopkins(nee Whitmore).
After 1930 neither Francis nor Ann Elizabeth Hopkins were listed at the above address.William is not listed there after 1935.
Marriages Sep 1885
Francis John Hopkins married Ann Elizabeth Whitmore Newport, Sh. 6a 1205
Electoral Roll Info from Midlands Historical Data,pay per view/subscription site.

Back