• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burial Renouf

sally B

proper brummie kid
Please can anyone help? I am trying to find where my Great Aunt and her daughter are buried.

Irene May Louise Renouf Died 9.6.1977 in Jaffray Hospital Erdington. She is described as a Shop Manageress retired and widow of Arthur Stewart Honey. She lived at 109 Kedleston Road Birmingham. Born 1.8.1894 in Newport

Her daughter, Marjorie Irene Stewart Renouf Died on 8.5.1986 in the General Hospital Birmingham. ( she was possibly cremated) She is described as a Secretary ( retired) and also lived at 109 Kedleson Road. She was born 22.4.21 in Newport.

This is a bit of a family mystery because I can find no record of Irene ever marrying again or changing her name and her daughters. Any help or information would be very gratefully appreciated. Many thanks Sally

In agreeance with Ladylinda,, best bet is Robin Hood Cemetery then Lodge Hill,

Kedleston Road is not far from Robin Hood Island(Stratford Rd) towards Hall Green Railway Stn (B 28)
therefore a few minutes away from Robin Hood Cemetery,

ps Theres a Marjorie E Renouf marrying John F Hanley 1946 vol 5a page 121 in Swindon ?
only Marjorie(rare name) i could quickly see on FeeBMD 1938-1950

Last edited:
Would her burial be in the name of Honey, not Renouf?
HONEY, Irene May L
Registration district: Birmingham
County: Warwickshire
Year of registration: 1977
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Date of Birth:1 August 1894
Volume no: 32
Page no: 0722

I think Renouf(f) comes from her Aunt Hannah?
(She was the sister of Irene's mother Sarah (Richardson)
Hannah was residing with Irene's family in 1911 prior to her marriage to George Wiltshire.
Marriages Dec 1893
Charles Lilly married Hannah Renouff Richardson Cardiff 11a 410
Marriages Jun 1893
Sarah Richardson married Valentine George Strickland Newport, M. 11a 300
Deaths Dec 1900
Charles Lilly aged 48 Newport M 11a 124

Thanks ladylinda, it is a possibility she was buried under the name Honey. The strange thing is that she has 2 enteries in the Deaths 1 as Honey and one as Renouf. My thoughts also were she got the name from her Aunt - my mystery is Why!!?? They seem to vanish from the date of her husbands death in Nov 1923 until she pops up in 1939 in the Birmingham trade directory as owning a baby linen warehouse called Maren at 177 Broad Street - I'm really at a loss !!! Thanks for your help. Will certainly try Robin Hood and Lodge Hill. Sally

1947 at 99 Trafalgar Road,Moseley/Kings Heath
Irene Renouf,Marjorie S Renouf,Sarah Strickland,Denis N Claughton,Georgina I Claughton
1950 at 99 Trafalgar Road,Moseley/Kings Heath
Irene Renouf,Marjorie S Renouf,Sarah Strickland, Valentine G Strickland,
Martin P Noctor,Doris V Lewis and Ivan E Lewis.
1955 at 99 Trafalgar Road,Moseley/Kings Heath
Irene Renouf,Marjorie S Renouf,Sarah Strickland,
Martin P Noctor,Constance Noctor.
Irene and Marjorie were still there in 1960.
I believe the property was a house converted into flats.
Possibly they returned to her parents home for a while?

Sally, if she lived with her aunty, it may have been assumed that they had the same surname, that is what happened on hubbys side, his great grandmother was nowhere to be found with her family name after her parents died, but eventually found her with the help of forum members with the uncle she was living with and his surname! - so that could be the answer.
Sue

Back