• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BSA Armoury Road Small Heath.

One of my mates who lived in Yardley , his neighbour was a test driver for BSA and he came home on a BSA Rocket 3 and gave us a ride a passengers . The route was out of Waterloo Road on to the Cov Road to the Swan underpass to the wagon and horses ( Berni Inn) and back to Yardley.
What a fantastic piece of engineering and the bike was so advanced for the time. This was 1968/9 I remember the experience as if it was yesterday , the speed , power the bike had and it literally took your breath away. I remember my mate went first and came back and told me the route , I remember thinking there is no way you can cover that distance in that time , how wrong I was.

BSA sports ground ( a before and after scene) , I played cricket there several times in my teens. Like most companies at that time in the 60s and 70s they had excellent sports and social facilities , sadly now all just memories.
The picture was taken from a book titled ’Small Heath and Sparkbrook Through Time ‘ : Ted Rudge & Kieth Clenton 2010

Attachments

• B2091E70-A928-4185-8A08-CCDCF0EF12F9.jpeg
    B2091E70-A928-4185-8A08-CCDCF0EF12F9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 18
Did they have a dedicated cricket pitch on their sports ground and if so how long had it been in existence?

Did they have a dedicated cricket pitch on their sports ground and if so how long had it been in existence?
The ground in Small Heath accommodated , a running track on the perimeter, then inside the perimeter you had football pitch , and a cricket pitch as I recall the location of the wicket would vary in location from close to the canal side to the centre of the ground . Also there were changing rooms to the Golden Hillock Rd side by the access road and car park .

BSA sports ground ( a before and after scene) , I played cricket there several times in my teens. Like most companies at that time in the 60s and 70s they had excellent sports and social facilities , sadly now all just memories.
The picture was taken from a book titled ’Small Heath and Sparkbrook Through Time ‘ : Ted Rudge & Kieth Clenton 2010
I have a scan of a program for a BSA sports day. My dad and my uncle worked there and lived in The Chestnuts Armoury Road.

Attachments

• BSA9th_1.jpeg
    BSA9th_1.jpeg
    654.5 KB · Views: 18
  • BSA9th_2.jpeg
    BSA9th_2.jpeg
    472.6 KB · Views: 18
  • BSA9th_3.jpeg
    BSA9th_3.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 12
  • BSA9th_4.jpeg
    BSA9th_4.jpeg