• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brummie Children Trip To The Sea, With Views Of Brum

Yes a good piece of film, has it not been on here before? The opening scenes are all shot in Nechells and there are some memory jerking shots for me at least. In 1963 I would have been to old for the trip but I had siblings of the right age, they didn't get an invite. In fact I had never heard of such trips, perhaps the kids were from all over Birmingham and they showed the opening scenes of Nechells because it made good footage for the film.

truely wonderful...yes phil it has been posted before but thanks wend for bringing it back to the forum..the children were filled with apprehension at the beginning wondering what on earth they were going to see and do and wernt they looked after so well..buckets and spades given out (and if memory serves me right they were made of rubber in those days) fish and chips and trifle..comics and packed lunches given out on the train..candy floss.donkey rides..more food and drinks then to fun fair and their faces said it all...it must have seemed like a different world to most of them away from the demolision of birminghams poor housing...brilliant...

lyn

Last edited:
Yes agree, brilliant. The name tags, the packets of crisps, the milk cartons and straws, the cotton frocks, the seaside rock, fish and chips, donkey rides and the weary journey home. The excitement comes out so well in the film. I realise from this that I was very lucky to do it more than once but I expect these kids didn't. I took a few screenshots, maybe some of the places can be identified. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373056005.889673.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373056016.317035.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373056031.519626.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373056040.087053.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373056048.774391.jpg

Vivienne I thinks these photos are taken from the Heneage St - Willis St area the one I can put an exact position is of South Tower with Loxton St School on the left and the Swan pub this would be taken from Willis St with Francis St and Bloomsbury St demolished.

Dek, I agree with you but I think the one with the young girl pushing the pram is of Henry St and she is just pushing the pram past the only remaining section of Francis St the middle section where I lived. You can just about make out my house across the road from Middleton's builders yard the lorry parked on the street one be one of theirs. I also think that the one looking up the entry is of the court at the back of our house. Therefore the house on the right is our house. Furthermore I think the two young lads in the middle of the road behind the pram are my brothers, well at least they look very like them.

Wonderful film indeed. Have watched it three times to catch all the special shots. Viv has mentioned most of them. I saw the Kam Ling Chinese Restaurant opposite the Livery Street entrance where the children filed in to go to Platform 7; place of departure for my own childhood holidays. I loved the expressions of the children as they weren't quite sure about what was going on around them. They were dressed in their best clothes and were well behaved. I loved the Moms waving through the windows as the train got ready to leave. As they get out into the countryside the mood changes again and things seem to go quiet. Then out came the comics "Who would like a comic" must have been announced and up went their hands. Great to see those old comics again.
I loved the shots of when the children look over the sea wall and see the sea for the first time. There was no holding them back after that. Some of the children had buckets and spades. It must have been great to dig in the sand at Weston-Super-Mare. What a day they had with lots of treats and
a good fish and chip lunch along with a bread roll and a creamy pudding for afters. The day must have flown by with their trip on to the pier and to the fair.

A trip to the gift shop and walking out with those big sticks of rock everyone used to buy and take home from the seaside. Then, finally, on to the train and back home. I loved the adults along on the trip who just looked after the children so well. Thanks for posting this video Wendy. The music and narrative was great also.

A few more shots from the film; this time Snow Hill Station, including the shot of the Kam Ling/ Livery Street entrance for Jennyann! . Viv.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373093378.928388.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373093398.372877.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373093415.882518.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373093441.128853.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373093448.710051.jpg

Thanks for posting those pics Viv. The food at the Kam Ling was excellent back in the late 1950's and early 1960's. Snowhill Station, it's huge entrance and interesting platforms bring back many memories. Wasn't there a "Speaking scale" in the entrance at Snow Hill? Many people used to meet under the clock I remember.

Thanks Wendy! I just sat and watched this film and really enjoyed it! I would have been the same age as the older children on the trip. I grew up in Coventry and never really saw housing like these kids came from even though there were areas of Coventry as poor. I loved seeing how these kids reacted to all the treats and rides, they were wrapped - not off-hand like kids would be today! Did you see how the older ones helped the little kids and made sure they were alight? I'm going to show it to my grandkids so they can see what a great time was had!

Dek, I'm still trying to tie the locations of some of these photos down. The two young lads running across a demolition site are on the Site of the Old Ashted Cinema, because the junction of Willis St and Ashted Row can be seen just behind them. Also the post underneath is of the same site because you can see the old washing baths at the junction of Willis St and Francis St.

I think the opening scenes panning over an industrial area are taken from the roof of Ansell's Brewery at Aston Cross.

Have just watched the film yet again, and find that I can't help but get emotional each time, because I can so communicate with it. My old school used to take us on trips like this, and to see it all again' just brings back such happy, pleasant memories. Whoever had the foresight to go out and capture something like this, back in 1963, is to be applauded. Thank God they did, or we wouldn't be re-living our history now.

Sorry to resurrect on old thread but I'm new to the forum and have been looking at past threads.
What a lovely film.
I wonder if any of the kids ever saw the film(either at the time or years later)
The cynical part of me wonders if the lad doing the voice over was really one of the kids or an actor.

I think the kid doing the voice over is genuine enough.
I get the impression he was told to "talk proper" but he can't keep it up for long !

I've often wondered about those kids too nffan. It would be great to think that some of them got to see this film. It's a lovely piece of history.

These Brummies get everywhere don't they ?
(To be more exact, I'm in Wheelock. I used to live by Queen's Park, Crewe).

Back