• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bromsgrove Street

Paigntonplace

proper brummie kid
Hi

Can anyone help ?

Does anyone now where I might find photos of Bromsgrove Street in the early 1900s. does anyone have any they would share ? My GrandFather was born at number 57 in 1909.

Trying to put photos/images together with a family tree.

Thank you in advance

Regards
Wendy

nht.jpeg
Flora and daughter Nellie Wright on the step of their shop. Bromsgrove Street 1928.

Wasn't number 57 the Ring O' Bells Tavern then, as there maybe pics of that?

Hi Ladylinda - Thank you for responding.
I believe that No 57 was known as the 'Ring O Bells' - my quest is to find a photo of that establishment !!!!!!!!! I understand that No 57 was a 'beer house' not a full blown pub. Please correct me if I am wrong ! My Great GrandFather was Albert Walls and it is known that he was a pervayor of beer.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction.

THANK YOU again

Wendy

A cousin of my great grandfather (Elizabeth Winwood) lived with her husband at 173 Bromsgrove St in 1881. He was a greengrocer/fruiterer.

Just discovered that they were still living there a year later when she killed him with an iron weight. She was convicted of manslaughter, not sure what sentence she got but she re-married in 1892. From what I can gather from the newspaper snippets I can see he was a drunk and quite violent towards her so that probably went in her favour.

Poor lady, I imagine the relief she felt of being rid of the treatment he gave her would far outweigh the four months in prison - as you say, quite lenient for the time.

Thanks Mike. How terrible and probably not particularly uncommon. No doubt where the reporter's sympathies lie,

George Stevens was my 2x Great Grandfather. He was a printer at 19 Bromsgrove st.

"William Reading, barman, was charged with having assaulted George Stevens, printer, Bromsgrove Street, on the 3rd of May. Mr. Dorsett appeared for the complainant, and Mr. Hemmant for the defendant. At about one o'clock on Saturday afternoon complainant and a friend called at the Black Swan, Bromsgrove Street, where defendant was barman. Drink was supplied, and before complainant had an opportunity of paying for it he was attacked by defendant. Some time previously they had quarrelled. Both complainant's eyes were blackened, and he sustained other injuries. A fine of 10s. and costs was imposed." "An Assault by a Barman" Birmingham Daily Post : June 8th 1883

I had a relative who lived at 9 Bromsgrove street his name was Henry Baden Powell stockhall.

Always interesting to see names including well known people, places or events. Makes you wonder if there's any more to it than just admiration.

One of my favourites, and associated with Baden Powell, is Mafeking, given to both boys and girls.

Back