• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

British newspaper archives

les hancock

master brummie
British newspaper archives have gone online today. Apparently with papers dating back a couple of centuries all being digitised for you to read. You can search for free, but have to pay to view. Have already found my gg uncles obituary and newspaper clipping.

Err. They have been available for at least a couple of years, to my knowledge. Totally free. I've had access to them through being registered with Lancashire Libraries, even though I live in Worcs. Registering with Warks Libraries gave me the same access (apparently, although my shortcut goes to Lancs, so I don't use that)

I use them when transcribing Parish Records. When an entry is difficult to read, particularly when it relates to a 'society' event, then the Newspaper report can clarify the details. The 'downside' is that I get distracted by stories that are absolutely fascinating, but have nothing to do with what I am researching.

I'm surprised that nobody has picked up on the free access before.

Ken - I think it stems from a very recent Press Release by British Newspaper Archives to promote their paid for service. TV News has been full of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken
It is a different resource. I'm not sure if the recently promoted source has all the newspapers on the library site in it, though think they probably will, but they also have others. for example the new site has The Birmingham Gazette, the Portsmouth evening news and the worcester chronicle. Some are named differently though. the library site lists Berrows worcester journal, but the new site just lists Worcester Journal, which i think must be the same publication
Mike
mike

I've written to BL to ask them about the extent of overlap between their database and Gales. They say they will endeavour to reply within 48 hours - we shall see!

Maurice :sneakiness:

Before anyone subscribes it is worth looking at the copyright restrictions, and I set out below the reply to a query that I asked them about...

Thank you for your query.

You can only use the website for your own personal non-commercial use e.g.to research newspaper archives and other archives featured on the website that you are interested in and to purchase goods that we may sell on the website.

All intellectual property rights in the website, content on the website or accessed as part of the website and any database operated by us belongs to us or has been licensed to us. You are not allowed to copy, reproduce,redistribute, download or use the website or any part of it other than as permitted here. All other rights are reserved.

If you wish, you can ask them directly for permission to use certain articles and they can advise you what would or would not be acceptable

Kind Regards,
Michael Ancell
The British Newspaper Archive Support Team

The query was as whether you could copy longhand from the site or even paraphrase the article to place on a blog. The answer seems ridiculous to me as you could possibly read the article from say a Library and quote it to your hearts content and the newspaper is in the Public Domain!

All the best Peter

Quite right. It certainly would seem to put limit direct copying of the document onto any site, but the information would be obtainable elsewhere, as you say.

I used the new site whilst I was in London last week for the first time. I was lucky enought to be using it for free as I am a member of the British Library and access from their reading rooms is not chargeable. I was looking for quite specific information about a family in Derbyshire and I was quite surprised at some of the articles the search mechanism found. I would never have located them is I had been just looking through the paper on microfilm.

Now I have tried it out, I will certainly be making use of it in the future; the charging packages include a 2-day package I think. Maybe Birmingham Libraries will make it available through their remote access system - just as they currently do for the Times. We can live in hope.... :)

Google had a good news archive - i said had , because like most other google features some lunatic working there is hell bent on wrecking all the good bits.
As for Lancashire Libraries i'm not truly convinced they will have archived news stories from other regions

if I wanted to use ww2 news articles obtained from the library to post on facebook ,what would my restrictions be ?

if I wanted to use ww2 news articles obtained from the library to post on facebook ,what would my restrictions be ?

I did a Teaching/Instructing course some years ago and we were told broadly the following,

but a commonly-used guideline (which, it must be stressed, has no legal force) is that you should copy no more than a single copy of one article from a journal volume or no more than 5% of a published book. Making multiple copies for classroom use or sending electronic copies to colleagues around the world are generally not allowed without the permission of the copyright-owner or someone acting on behalf of the owner.

Full reference here, www.jisc.ac.uk/media/.../workinggroups/scgcopyrighthandbook.doc‎ (if it works)

Some more newspapers , including some early Birmingham 20th century ones have been added to the website in the last month :
Birmingham ones are:
Birmingham Daily Mail, The – 1914, 1916, 1917
Birmingham Daily Post – 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918
Birmingham Gazette – 1918
Birmingham Journal – 1832, 1833, 1834, 1835, 1836, 1838

The full list of added ones are at: https://blog.britishnewspaperarchiv..._medium=email&utm_source=uk&utm_content=65007

hi mikijee
i pay a year on ancestry am i able to get the news papers on ancestry or do i pay monthly
josie

Josie you can pay for 1 month. Its much better value for money as when I paid earlier this year I only got for the same money - 7days.

BNA. Are doing a promotion £1 for a months subs use the promo code MARDEAL. After subscribing click on my account and uncheck the autorenewal box and click update. Promo ends 31st mar 23.59

BNA. Are doing a promotion £1 for a months subs use the promo code MARDEAL. After subscribing click on my account and uncheck the autorenewal box and click update. Promo ends 31st mar 23.59

thanks for the heads up michael..just checked and ive had an email from them..my subs has just run out so i will have a quids worth now...

cheers

lyn

BNA are doing another promotion folks...just a quid for a months subs....promo code DEAL2

lyn

Lyn thanks for that its great news but nothing is happening when I am putting code in. Carol

Last edited:
Worked ok for me and I hadn't received an Email from them, make sure you use upper case and click Apply code. Michael.

Worked ok for me and I hadn't received an Email from them, make sure you use upper case and click Apply code. Michael.

thanks michael i did not think you needed to receive an email but was not sure...carol give it another bash

enjoy

lyn

Last edited:
Hi carolina click subscribe enter DEAL2 click apply code then enter card details, go to home page top left, click my account, uncheck the autorenewal box,then click update at the bottom, you should get an email saying auto renewal is off. I hope this is of help to you, All The best Michael.

Back