• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brides through the years.

This photo is my mothers cousin Marion Smith who married Donald Haylock in 1934. The reason I know this is that I would often go round to Mom's before she died in 2004 and get the old photo's out. I would ask who people were and write all the names on the back in pencil.

Marie_Smiths_Wedding.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This photo is my mothers cousin Marion Smith who married Donald Haylock in 1934. The reason I know this is that I would often go round to Mom's before she died in 2004 and get the old photo's out. I would ask who people were and write all the names on the back in pencil.

I can't tell which hairstyle it is, but both the Marcel Wave & the Finger-Wave were going strong in the early 30s

Blimey Aiden you are very up to date with the hairstyles of the 30's:rolleyes:. I thought it was me who was the hairdresser:beam:

The Marcel wave was done with a curling iron & the finger wave was done with the hair wet and with fingers & comb, then the lady would be put under the dryer,

Jean.

Jean when I started in hairdressing we had to learn how to do both. I can't imagine them doing it today. Mind you it was a long time ago:D!

Here is a lovely photo of my aunt and uncle who are still together in the same home they bought when they married. My aunt will be 89 tomorrow. I love them both.:)

I think all the photos in this thread are amazing. Thanks for posting them. Wendy, I loved all the flowers in your one photo and the smart suits. I posted this photo a very long time ago of my Aunt Evangeline and her husband Frederick Fisher who married in the summer of 1912. They emigrated to Canada shortly after their wedding but returned to Birmingham for a few years when WW1 broke out and eventually returning to Canada.

The photo was taken after the ceremony at Aston Parish Church at 121 Wyrley Road, Witton where the Venville family lived. My Father is at the front with the the dog. Regarding Marcel waving...here is a photo of my Mother with the "Marcel Look". Taken in early 1930's.

View attachment 60891
Here is my Grandmother in the 1930's with the same hair cut also worn by Mrs Simpson a leading lady of fashion in the 1930's. Does anyone know the name of the neck line on the dress. It is very like the neckline on wedding dress picture 1936 i put on the post. The wedding dress has a weight sew into the front of the neckline.

Mom and Dad 23rd May 1942. My Dad came home on leave from the Russian Convoys. The second was one of my friend's wedding in Somerset in the 60s. We look at right load of divs!

I worked with a man, Jock Campbell who spent most of the war taking "Mrs Churchhills Aid To Russia
on the Artic convoys, they really had a rough time of it, and little thanks afterwards, Bernard
Sorry bit off thread.

Here are my Mum and Dad getting married in 1943.

They went on honeymoon to a relative's in Hitchin. When they returned they sent their luggage on ahead by PLA (Passenger's Luggage in Advance), but it was stolen and all their wedding clothes were lost :(.

They had an austerity wedding cake; of the three tiers, only one (the top) was real. The rest were made of cardboard and plaster of Paris.

View attachment 61125

Maria that is a lovely photo but how sad they lost all their luggage I suppose the result of wartime.

They look lovely Maria, what a sad ending to their honeymoon, my mom and dad married in 1942 and they had a plaster cake too.
paul

Maria that is a lovely photo but how sad they lost all their luggage I suppose the result of wartime.

Probably, Wendy. You can imagine there might have been some chaos about train travel at that time. I think to get to Hitchin you had to go into London and out, perhaps changing more than once.

Talking about Wedding cakes, Enid and I made the cakes for both Stephanies and Pauls wedding, I made all the
icing in our Kenwood Chef and between us we put the bits and bobs of decorations on them, she was a very handy
lady to have around, as well as being the apple of my eye, Bernard

My mom and mad got married 18 December 1937 and due to bad weather none of their photos turned out. So i have never saw a photo of my mom and dad getting married, which is such a shame.

Mary,another bride.Couldn't afford anything fancy,we even had to have a whip round to pay the registrar his 7/6 fee.
Never mind it lasted...

The Swinging 60s
1969 at Birmingham Register Office

My suit: from Rackham's, no less.
My wife's dress made by her own fair hand,
and - to please her mom, 15 inches from the waist, instead of the usual 12! :stare:
I'm not sure she can still get into it . . . .

Nice one Bill. Cool stuff.

Mine in chronological order.
1947, Aunty Olive. Me at 5 years hanging on to Aunty June for grim death...
1967 My wedding. Note understated mohair suit from Pressburgers...
2009 Son's wedding. Family group.

love the rackhams double brested suit with regency coller, had one in the seventy,s from burtons. Lovely bride bill, wonderful memories
paul

Back