• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Boundaries

superdad3

master brummie
Boundaries; random thoughts

The changes to city boundaries has been touched on in many posts over the years. I got interested in this topic when researching the Wake Green estate which is the area around St Agnes Church, Moseley. The map below sums up the growth of Birmingham [apols. if it has been posted before].
map.gif
It confirms how large Kings Norton & Northfield UD was. I always thought Aston MB was as large as Birmingham – perhaps it was just by population & development at the time? Sparkhill and Wake Green were in Yardley but Sparkhill was very much the big brother by then with Yardley Council House on Stratford Road [now houses Sparkhill Library]. Also Yardley Wood!

Smethwick was historically part of Harborne and both were originally in Staffs. Hence the naming of the parish of North Harborne [Holy Trinity] when created in 1842. And then we have Ridgeacre/Quinton – originally in Shropshire [detached] and then in Worcestershire.

The topic is endless.

But of course these boundaries were primarily for civil administration before the local authority was responsible for so much more. Parish boundaries were much more important back in the day and still are for family history. Workhouse boundaries were different again and were later used as the basis for Registration District boundaries causing many a trip for the unwary. Just because a birth is registered in Kings Norton, it doesn’t mean that they were born there. It was the registration district – they might have been born in Moseley, Harborne or even Wythall.

What a complex subject boundaries are.

A number of those places listed and some not shown that appear to be included in Bham would have come under Aston, whilst Kings Norton & Northfield hasn't been split into smaller areas, Kings Heath & Selly Oak etc.

What that would mean in practice I don't know. Before it's expansion, how far into the neighbouring districts did people class themselves as from Bham?

Last edited:
Are there any old boundary markers that exist in Birmingham, I can't remember noticing one?
I had a quick look on the internet but can't see anything particular. There are a number of stone and metal ones in London, old boroughs and county markers - interesting that they have survived.

Castle Bromwich - Kingsleigh Drive: former boundary marker​

Until the mid 1980s the section of Kingsleigh Drive behind the photographer lay in Birmingham while, the old Castle Bromwich Warwickshire was in Solihull MBC. The line here and one further down the road was to indicate to binmen and other council workers where their borough bounday was. In those days children above the line went to Solihull schools, children below the line to Birmingham schools.​

1692020755811.png
flicker

Are there any old boundary markers that exist in Birmingham, I can't remember noticing one?
I had a quick look on the internet but can't see anything particular. There are a number of stone and metal ones in London, old boroughs and county markers - interesting that they have survived.
Glacial erratic boulders were often used as boundary stones. The Gilbertstone that used to be in Sheldon [now in Blakesley Hall Museum] was used as a boundary stone where Sheldon, Bickenhill and Yardley met. Similarly, the Warstone [or Hoarstone] where Aston, Birmingham and Handsworth met used to be on display in Warstone Cemetery.

Must be others?

There was a boundary marker at the junction of Shireland Road Smethwick and Portland Road Edgbaston near the Bundy clock bus terminus. Also one on Cape Hill and Dudley Road junction, not sure if they still exist as the Dudley Road one was moved during changes to the Brewery etc. It was by M&B War Memorial but that was moved too!
rosie.

Edit. the Shireland Road one still appears on Google maps the other one has gone, so has the Bundy clock!

Last edited:
Back