• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Restaurants

Anyone remember the name of the Indian restaurant that was just off the big island over the road opposite the Swan Yardley pub/night spot. The restaurant had a night club over it. the restaurant was quite large inside, the security guy I think, was called Jimmy he was a large Jamaican and at the tender age of 16 in 1968 my Dad took me there and thats when I fell in love with curries. i remember it was still going in 1970.

Does anyone recall the Shah Bagh Indian restaurant on Bristol Street? This was one of Brum's very first Asian restaurants and I well remember going there of a Friday night after a skinful of cider at The Greyhound and some jazz at The Salutation, and having the inside of my mouth burned away with a 'meat vindaloo'. God alone knows what we were actually eating! The menu comprised meat or chicken 'curry, madras curry or vindaloo curry', and there were popadums. And lager. And that was it. Yet some nights you actually had to queue up to get in!

Big Gee
Yes I remember that one Big Gee it was known as the "s*ag bag" in our group, can't remember much of the curries but I believe it was upstairs????

As to earlier post, I do remember the Satis restaurant, my dad would take me there for lunch sometimes in the 60s when I was young, remember him showing me the correct way to use a soup spoon!

I think the restaurant rick is refering to #21 was the Kashmire.
With regard to Indian restaurants, there was one on Steelhouse Lane, I think it was called Johns or similar, one Friday night after our usual visit to the Cabin, we all went there, had a meal and for the next three days al but one of was violently ill. The other side of the coin was the posh café upstairs in one of the arcades, that my grandmother loved to go to for afternoon tea.
Bob

Does anyone remember Gaylord's, an Indian restaurant at the Victoria Square end of New Street? I think it was part of a nationwide chain of restaurants, and we thought it was a cut above your everyday tikka masala and popadum palace. It was where I saw genuine tandoori ovens for the first time. The quality of the food and the service was excellent. I don't think it lasted very long, unfortunately.

G

A few from the 1970s to chew over. Viv.
View attachment 124724
Seeing mention of Chateau Impney, in the late 40s early 50s, it was the place my snobbish mother thought of as heaven on earth...to go to a do there was the end of the world and they managed to go to two or three a year. Is it still considered in those terms or has it come down to the carvery level...Hungry Horse etc. I remember La Reserve being built at Powells Pool, when it opened that was also a place where all the posh people, the wealthy ones and the local politicians used to go. The best name there though was the Hung Dong Chinese, my goodness me the snowflakes would have the time of their narrow minded, bigoted lives with that one. For good complete political incorrectness and all the other modern sins listen to BBC Radio 4 comedy hour in the morning 8 to 9am, we laughed at it and loved it, all the nudge nudge wink wink double entendres. Nowadays it would be banned. Bless

Bob

The last time i went to the Impney about 5 years ago it was a cavery James's cavery i think, must so it was well above average, even though the hotel was in receivership.

Very interesting to see the advertisement for Kam Ling Chinese restaurant. This was the first Chinese restaurant in which I dined. I was about 12 or 13 at the time and was taken there by my parents and some of their friends and family. I was persuaded to have the "Kam Ling Special" and remember it was full of chinese vegetables that I had never tasted before; bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, beansprouts together with slices of pork, beef and chicken all cooked so differently and more exoticly than I had ever experienced before and I remember it came with a fried egg on top! That night I tasted Soy sauce for the first time too
A wonderful night never to be forgotten.

Back