• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945

Unusual shopping basket held by chid on the left like a box Maybe for transporting bottles. The crates would metal, our school ones were? How smart they look.

The child's basket is a small box with a handle nailed on, this was a time of mix and match, and re use all materials due to war, we were and are still a people who can adapt, and apply, when needs must. Paul

I have a copy of the photo previously posted, which states underneath that it was the Globe

What a beautiful picture, of a summers day, cricket, in the lea of the Minster, pure English entertainment, still being played out today in many villages, and towns, marvelous sight!!!

Another wonderful image dug out for us by Pedrocut, for which thanks. It prompts me to raise a question which has undoubtedly been posed before - and to which I suspect the answer isn't a good one. Do any of these Post and Mail photographs still exist anywhere in their original form, by some miracle? They were all taken by a professional photographer using good equipment, the images must have been superb and the detail in them mind-boggling. Much of the definition was lost by the time they appeared on the printed newspaper page - although we are of course very lucky to have them at all.

You can't put detail in which wasn't there in the first place and however much one mucks about with the printed image, it seems it's difficult to improve the quality. This has been my best effort and I'm doubtful that it gives us anything more!

ChrisxDF04F052-4F9D-4B10-AA8C-5C.jpg

Where does that one come from, oldMohawk? It's obviously not from the newspaper image.

Chris

Birmingham Post, May 1939. The good old days when the tourists started their tour at Worcester.

View attachment 173862
A nice photograph of the traditional opener the West Indian tourists, played at Worcester. I hadn't realised that Syd Buller had played for Worcester, before he went on to become a well known and respected Test Match umpire (33 tests: 1956 - 1969). He died in August 1970 at Edgbaston, during a rain break in the game between Warwickshire and Nottinghamshire that he had been officiating in.

1665655316516.png

Back