• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Mint

I have a rare book, "A Numismatic History of the Birmingham mint" it shows photo's of all the coins made by Heatons mint for countries all over the world., Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, India, Mombasa, China, European, African and South American countries, the list goes on to cover just about everywhere.

There are details of how many coins were actually struck, where they were sent etc. Sometimes the mint supplied just the dies and blanks, sometimes the machinery to mint them together with operatives from the mint to teach them how to set up the machinery etc. A fascinating book if you collect coins. They were contracted to supply an entire mint to Burma, 1864 the Birmingham mint received a contract from the government of Burma to supply a complete mint including buildings, 1200 dies, minting equipment and start up supervision to train the locals to run it. The mint reached the royal capital Mandalay in February 1865 and it was up and running on 11th November 1865
I do not collect coins but would be very interested in the process they used to make them. I will look up the book or something similar.

About 10 years ago (I think) , when the book was presumably remaindered, copies were going relatively cheaply , though cannot remember exactly how much I paid. But now it is very expensive

Back