• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Football 1900's Edward Richards

Bluelady14

proper brummie kid
I am researching the William Richards family history in Birmingham. I am the great-grandaughter of Edward Richards. My father, his grandson, told me his grandfather Edward Richards, son William Richards and Emma Orme played professional football for a Birmingham team before emigrating to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada in early 1900's. I'm looking for confirmation of this fact and photographs if at all possible.

Unless he's listed as such on his marriage or the baptisms of his children (censuses he's a moulder which you've probably already seen) might be tricky to prove. The team might help but I don't know.

I appreciate your response. Yes, I did see moulder. I'm now looking for current Birmingham family members who might have stories and/or photographs. Edward - b. 1865 in Birmingham. d. 1909 in Hamilton, Ontario. Father William b.1829 d. 1870. Mother Emma Orme b. 1831 d. 1892. Married Lois Moseley 1899 Kings Norton b. 1869 d. 1945 in Hamilton, Ontario. There are no photographs of Edward b. 1865, however the Richards name continues on with our family. I am the only family member doing this research and everyone is waiting to read what I've learned and hopefully can track down any Richards family photographs.

There looks like there is a Richards here playing for West Bromwich Albion 1895 View attachment 172914
Thank you for finding this for me. I wish I could show this to my father, no longer with us, who was named after Edward Richards and (I, after his wife Lois Moseley), this document. I very much appreciate this web site. I am Edward and Lois's great-grandaughter researching and writing a family history book - only for our family - on the Richards and Moseley families' lives in England.

Sorry to hear that. In any case, I truly appreciate your researching this family story on my behalf.

Lois Fletcher

It looks like he had at least 6 brothers and 2 sisters and at least 2 of those had children, so likely to be descendants out there but it may be a little early for family photos.

I am researching the William Richards family history in Birmingham. I am the great-grandaughter of Edward Richards. My father, his grandson, told me his grandfather Edward Richards, son William Richards and Emma Orme played professional football for a Birmingham team before emigrating to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada in early 1900's. I'm looking for confirmation of this fact and photographs if at all possible.
I can be fairly sure there was no Aston Villa player called Edward Richards between 1895-1905

Back