• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham City Football 1939-1945

I was an ardent Blues fan in the late 40s Gil Merrick was my hero. Loved going to the matches and getting 'pissed' in the pubs after. What has happened to them? Money I guess cant compete with the big clubs anymore. great shame. a once proud club with lots of ardent supporters like me. John Crump OldBrit, Parker. Co USA

I was an ardent Blues fan in the late 40s Gil Merrick was my hero. Loved going to the matches and getting 'pissed' in the pubs after. What has happened to them? Money I guess cant compete with the big clubs anymore. great shame. a once proud club with lots of ardent supporters like me. John Crump OldBrit, Parker. Co USA
After following theBlus since 1944 I find the present situation very depressing but I still go home and away.
Lets hope we can say good bye to the Chinese.
Keep on to the end of the road
J Hughes

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi old Brit
If yo researched the Merrick history from the fortys you would learn where it all went to and the reason he bailed out
He did not need the lost finances on the club , he made a good choice and invested into other things
Best wishes astonian

Hi len
yes you are right my cousin brenda married barry thomas .sold cars for a living they divorced a few years ago
freds sports clinic was on warwick road just up from olton hollow he treated blues players as well as many others
my cousin freddie freds son still runs the buisness and also goes to st andrews to treat the players feet
That would have been Freddie Harris, he played football with my grandfather

Back