• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham City Council burial/cremations site

Steve Crathorn

master brummie
Birmingham City council have on their site https://www.leisure.birmingham.gov.uk/bacas
a register of burials/cremations for Birmingham cemeteries only (not Solihull, which includes Robin Hood Shirley and Woodlands, near Chelmsley Wood) and not church yards. I believe that dates covered at the moment are around 1989-2005, but this will be added to as time goes by.

Another interesting site is; Find A Grave - Millions of Cemetery Records.

Good hunting

Steve Crathorn

I informed Handsworth cemetery of the site being down on Tuesday morning 1/12/09. Site back up and working at 5pm

TAKE IT EASY FOLKS OTHERWISE IT MAY WELL CRASH AGAIN

Steve

Anyone using the database should be aware that the information is based on graves that have been opened recently, and there is no plans to enter historic information on the database
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3470&highlight=burials

I am sorry to disappoint you. There are no plans at this time to input historical data onto the computerised genealogy search.
This type of task would involve a huge amount of data and would not be manageable. We have 3 crematoria and 11 cemeteries. I do not know the exact numbers involved but to give you an idea here at Handsworth we have almost 70,000 burials since 1909 - some of our cemeteries date back to 1836 !
The facility available at the moment is via a link to the computerised system we use on a day to day basis to take funeral bookings and administer them. The only time historical information is input is when a family grave is reopened for a further interment at which time details of the previous burials will be added to the system.
We do have burial and cremation information held at each site and we can help with specific enquiries. Where very little information is known people tracing the family tree and similar research can access microfilm/microfiche copies of the burial index's at Birmingham Central Library.

Yours sincerely
(name removed)
Bereavement Officer
Handsworth Cemetery

This will explain why so many searches do not bring up the required details

Colin

Back