• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

Looks like a Sunday or Bank Holiday, folk returning home after a day out on the Lickey Hills. (Easter or August by the look of the trees?)
Within a few years the ownership of private cars meant a 'day out' could be deeper into the countryside, or to the seaside, and the crowds waiting for this service disappeared for ever.

That is the Lickey stop which was probably unique. In tram days there was a turning loop which at peak weekend times would have had a line of trams waiting to take people back into town. You can see the tram lines still in the road and they were still there until the terminus was taken out with buses now terminating one stop short of the old terminus. As to the query about how often the buses would have run. In Birmingham Corporation days they would have run on the old tram timetable "Always one in sight"

Soon would have got the queue down then.... Haven,t been to The Lickeys since i was about 7. I Thought i was going on my Holidays.

I remember those queues at the lickeys even in the days of trams all standing in an orderly line waiting our turn without gripping or pushing what have they done to our dear old country.

Paul
Judging by the pictures on the tv of the queues in Japan for food, all the politeness has gone there.

Last tiem I saw a queue like that was about 1960 as a teenager I had taken my younger sister for a day out to Worcester and when we got to the bus station to come home, I took one look at the queue for the 144 back to Birmingham and immediately went to Foregate Street Station and got a train to Stourbridge and we then caught the 130 home. You need to think laterally when it comes to travel.

Just looking through David Harvey's book "City to the Lickeys", a very nice history and photographic record of the bus and tram routes from this area. Is the Lickeys worth a visit these days, worth putting on my list for my next Birmingham visit?

the lickeys in the 50's was a wonderful world to a working class people with little or no money, 2 the fair and amusments 1d, sunday foot ball matches in the great park, the hill walks then a pint, a picnic, or even as kids a 2d bus ride with jam sandwiches and bottles of water, to stand near the railway and watch the steam trains on the grand bank to us 1950s kids it was heaven, I never saw the sea till I was 15, and never had a holiday except with the scouts camping or later with the ACF, so this was the next best thing to that holiday for me and my memories will I hope stay with me.

3225 is definitely seen at Moseley Road following complete refurbishment as an apprentice training exercise. Interesting is that although then owned by West Midlands PTE it was outshopped with Birmingham City Transport legal lettering which was later changed and now reads West Midlands Travel, the present owner.

3225 is seen here in the old Moseley Road tram depot where apprentices are applying the final restoration polish up before being moving out for the photo ragga posted.

Is the Lickeys worth a visit these days, worth putting on my list for my next Birmingham visit?[/QUOTE]

Hi Newbie.

In my opinion the Lickeys are still worth visiting. THey have changed little over the years and the views from the top are great.

Old Boy

A Big Welcome to BHF forward , you certainly started on one of many good threads
enjoy your stay ......... ragga :)

Ive unblocked it
Thread now working again.

Last edited by a moderator:
That really is a superb photo of JOJ880 ragga, as you say everything about it is classic, the lawnmowers, van, clock and especially the Daimler itself!

That really is a superb photo of JOJ880 ragga, as you say everything about it is classic, the lawnmowers, van, clock and especially the Daimler itself!
I s that bus a Daimler,as it looks somewhat unusual around the grille.And why is the bonnet painted blue?...................Mal.

In post No.5 - yes, a long way back - but at least it is on the first (or last) page, Alf mentioned travelling to school for a half penny. I had friends who lived within the city boundaries and attended a city school. Special buses were run for them, as they lived some distance from the school (I can't say how far however) and tokens were issued to them in lieu of cash. Memory tells me these tokens were a little smaller than the size of a present day ten pence piece and were differing colours depending on their value.

I guess someone may have more info about these tokens. :)

Regarding the terminus of the Hall Green route 37, at the time of the photograph, ( I believe it now extends to Solihull) I often walked to that terminus just for the fun of travelling on a City bus instead of the 'red'.

I s that bus a Daimler,as it looks somewhat unusual around the grille.And why is the bonnet painted blue?...................Mal.

It was one of two that had a slightly different bonnet and radiator grille fitted experimentally during its life, similar to the design used at the time by Manchester Corporation. The Headlights were mounted further out, on the wings, rather than in the 'New Look' front radiator cover.

The other one was 2799, seen here in Islington Row on the Inner Circle, heading for Bristol Rd.

Directly behind the bus was a Bicycle Shop but I cannot remember it,s name. Dek

It was one of two that had a slightly different bonnet and radiator grille fitted experimentally during its life, similar to the design used at the time by Manchester Corporation. The Headlights were mounted further out, on the wings, rather than in the 'New Look' front radiator cover.

The other one was 2799, seen here in Islington Row on the Inner Circle, heading for Bristol Rd.

Thanks for that Lloyd,is there any particular reason the bonnet was painted blue,rather than the cream colour used on the other 'tin-front' buses?

Thanks for that Lloyd,is there any particular reason the bonnet was painted blue,rather than the cream colour used on the other 'tin-front' buses?

Just that the moulding didn't have the beadings fitted to outline the colour changes. There had been a few driver complaints about the cream bonnets on the 'normal' tin-front buses reflecting too much sunlight, so that may have influenced the decision.

Coventry also had a large number of Daimlers with this type of fibre-glass front and West Bromwich had some as well. This design became popular with several other operators as well.

Back