• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham baptism 1848

jane k

master brummie
Help Please! I have just received the birth certificate for Julia Hall who was born 25/10/1848 in Hill Street Birmingham (sub-district St Philips). According to this her parents are William Hall (plasterer) and Matilda Simmons. I believe she was their eldest child. However, on the 1851 Census William Hall age 22 (plasterer) born Cheltenham, Glos is with Julia age 2 and the mother is Martha not Matilda. They were living in Bishopgate Street, Birmingham St Thomas.

Unfortunately, by the 1861 Census William is married to Phoebe. As the surname Hall is so common I haven`t been able to pinpoint a death for Martha (or Matilda) Hall between Julia`s birth & the 1861 Census. Nor can I find a marriage for William Hall to Matilda - or Martha!

I`m hoping someone might be able to find a baptism for Julia which would clarify who her mother is.

Any help would be much appreciated

jane

on familysearch.org there is the baptism of julia.
julia hall christened 20 aug 1849 at st. phillips, birmingham. parents william hall and matilda.

i think the martha on the 1851 should be matilda. just an enumerator error.

Thanks Shera - I don`t know how I missed that on Familysearch! I agree with you that the Census entry must be incorrect. I just have to find the parents` marriage now

Kind regards Jane

Hi Jane K
I have found a marriage in Dec Q 1847 between William Hall and Matilda Simmons West Bromwich - 18 756
And the following Deaths Dec 1858 Matilda Hall Birmingham 6d 21, Matilda Hall Birmingham 6d 97
Have also found this death, don’t think it’s your Matilda, but you never know. Deaths Mar Q 1860 Birmingham 6d 5
Good luck in your search bewdley

Thanks Bewdley - you are a star. I think I was only looking at marriages in Warwickshire - should have spread my net a bit wider!

Jane

Back