• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham All-The-Year-Round Swimming Club, Edgbaston Reservoir, Icknield Port Road

Aidan

master brummie
Here is a pic of the Birmingham All-The-Year-Round Swimming Club at Edgbaston Reservoir before/after their Christmas dip (!) in 1908. I know that my Gt-Grandfather, George Thomas Brueton (who lived at various places around eg Icknield Port Rd, Barford Road), is among them (sadly just not sure who). Thought you may enjoy it & the thought of it (Brrrr). Does anyone else know of a member?

Re: Birmingham All-The-Year-Round Swimming Club, Edgbaston Reservoir, Icknield Port R

Aidan I love it but didn't know anyone from that neck of the woods. I do believe there is still one going at Sutton Park and they break the ice at Xmas time. Have you any more old photo's if so would love to see them. Jean.

Re: Birmingham All-The-Year-Round Swimming Club, Edgbaston Reservoir, Icknield Port R

Thanks G G Jean - still finding my way on the forum so appreciate your kind response - I have many old photos but only a few that might be of general interest - just posted one under factories (Super Oil Seals Ltd)

I am sure you will enjoy the forum Aidan and swimming is one of my favourite subjects. Jean.

Thanks Jean. He later worked for Austin at Longbridge and have posted a pic of him there in the 30s on the Misc-car industry thread. The only other bit of swimming info I have is that I have his two dated swimming medals which I assume he earned on/about the time of the photo - One Mile (1908) and Royal Life Saving Medal (Dec 1908) - I'd love to find out more about them

I did some research for someone a while back and found photo's on a pub wall in Water Orton of Aston Swimming clubs water polo team in the early 1900's but the persons grandad was not named as one of them. I don't know where you would begin to look I am afraid but I am sure someone on the forum could help. All the best. Jean.

Aidan that is a wonderful photo thanks for sharing it with us.

Here are the two swimming medals I mentioned. I hadn't remembered but the first is actually produced for the Birmingham All The Year Round Swimming Club and is for "One Mile" in 1908. The other is marked Royal Life Saving Society in Dec 1908. If anyone knows anything about the club or the medals it would be most interesting.

Thanks for those Aidan. I have asked a couple of friends but they only have info on the old Aston Swimming Club. Sorry. Jean.

Back