• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

Love those two photos Oldmohawk and Topsyturvey. It looks like a completely different place to the one I remember. I don't think we can talk about Birchfield Road without including this place in 1935, can we? Viv.

Odeon_Birchfield_Rd_Perry_Barr_1935.JPG

TOPSYTURVEY, Great to see the old library again. I well remember going into the place as a small lad to get my books out such as "Biggles" books and ones by Percy F. Westerman. Great! By the way, the shop on the left of the picture became a "Civic Restaurant" during the '50's. It was the only place open on a Sunday evening where one could get a cup of coffee after coming out of church (the qualification for being able to attend the church social club). A very different world back then!

Vivienne14, Thanks also for the Odeon photo taken the year of my birth. It graphically shows the Middle Eastern concept of the design.

Thanks to both of you! Regards. willey

Birchfield Library was almost second home for me when I lived in The Broadway. Being a real book-worm I loved that place. I seem to recall that it wasn't originally built as a library, but as council offices. Can anyone confirm this?

Willey, I think the place next door was a 'British Restaurant' during the War, becoming a 'Civic Restaurant' later. My mother used to say that she'd rather have gone hungry than eaten there...

The photo of The Odeon takes me back to The Saturday Morning Club! Viv, are you absolutely certain that your pic is of The Odeon Perry Barr? It looks somehow different.

Big Gee

I don't think this is the Perry Barr Odeon either, unless it was bricked over at a later date - is it possible that it had a re-fit? I used to love that cinema, it seemed rather more luxurious than others - I used to go regularly to the Regal on Soho Road too. No cinema on earth these days can replicate the luxury that those cinemas exuded, it was a real treat on a Saturday night to go with my husband (years before we married, though). Cinemas today are bland and fairly unexiting.

Hi Shortie. The Odeon frontage was re-modlled after it was damaged during WWII. So it looks very different to the original. In fact it looks characterless compared to the oiginal. Oscar Deutsch would be horrified! Viv.

Shortie, It is most definitely was the "Odeon". That was how it was originally designed and built. The outside was in keeping with the internal decor. Middle Eastern in appearance. It subsequently had all the cement rendering removed and the brick frontage was the final alteration up to the time when it became a bingo palace. It would have looked a lot different if, during the war, the unexploded bomb on the front carpark had gone off. The bomb disposal team were given life-long free admission to the cinema

Big Gee, You are correct about the Civic Restaurant being a "British Restaurant" Your mother was absolutely correct about the quality of the meals. The cup of coffee that we would consume bore no relation to the said beverage but as I said earlier, it was a case of "Hobson's Choice". Whilst not absolutely certain, I don''t think the library was anything other than a library. A stone plaque in the library wall identified the building as a "Carnegie Library" built from the endowment of the Scots philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. Back in those days, Birchfields was in the County of Staffordshire and the Staffordshire Council House was the building that became Handsworth Library on Soho Road. I believe Handsworth Library still has the Staffordshire Knot Crest on it's frontage. All interesting stuff!

Great memories! Regards to all. willey

It's lovely to read about my bit of Birmingham. When we married we had a flat in Stoneleigh Road which runs from Normandy Road down to Aston Lane, our address was Birchfields. The Broadway ran from Witton Road to Birchfield Road, my parents address in Woodall Road at the bottom end of The Broadway was Witton.
I was born in Hamstead and then Hamstead was in Handsworth, Staffs. Handsworth is only a hop skip and jump from Hamstead, at the top of Hamstead Hill.
I used Birchfield Library very occasionally, I always went to Witton Library, it is in Witton Road just below Six Ways.

Hi viv
yes it almost facing the the birchfield harriers ground in fact it would roughly be where the student colledge is today
which i beleive before that also is where the ld perry barr comprensive school stood as well
as you went pass that row of them houses it would have been the choclate factory a small family bussiness they was called walkers chocolates they made the little 3d chocolate logs i went there for an interview in my younger days
and i beleive they was there right up until the 1961 they was called walkers chocolates birchfield rd
have your self a nice day i am off to the hams hall bootie sales today ; best wishes alan ; astonian ;

That explains it then, I did not know it had sustained war damage. I do not come from that side of the city, but I lived there in my teens for four years, and then later for a while until we moved to Tamworth. I only knew the brick fronted Odeon which was a bit bland, I agree, however, the original does not appeal to me either.

Hi Di,

strange about the districts around where we used to live. All Souls church was definitely Witton, but the address of my grandparents in Bevington Road (continuation of The Broadway across Witton Road) was Aston. My old Post Office savings book from the 1950's has my address as The Broadway, Handsworth, Birmingham 20. Not sure, but I think the current post-code for the whole area running down from Birchfield Road is now B6, which is Aston.

Did you know Pat Harper whose mother was a chiropodist in Woodall Road?

Big Gee

Hi Viv,
Great photograph of the Odeon Birchfield Road, I remember going there to see Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs I think it was 1938/39
Regards Reg

I loved Birchfield Road library and would wait ages on Saturday mornings for someone to bring back an Enid Blyton book I hadn't yet read.
None of the books had colourful covers like you get now though, they were all recovered in a uniform brown leatherette with gold lettering on the spine.
When I was at Canterbury Road School most of my homework research was done in the library and I always visited after the Saturday morning sixpenny crush at the Odeon.
I lived at the bottom end of Putney Road (near Church Vale) and we were definitely in Handsworth B20, I always thought of Birchfield Road as being the dividing line between Handsworth and Perry Barr. My dad used to take me to the restaurant sometimes for a cup of tea and a bun!

Charlie,

what years were you at Canterbury Road? I was there 1951 - 57, but don't remember being given homework...

Big Gee

I was at Canterbury Road (Cross) Girls school 1952-1956 and we had "projects"...I remember doing one after our London trip and ended up with a big folder full of notes - thenaks to the library.

Am I correct in thinking that the Girls School was a secondary school? My memory's a bit misty after all these years.

Big Gee

You're right, Canterbury Cross Secondary School was were I was 1952-1956. Were you at the infant school then?

hi charlie
nice to hear from you again and your memorys
was you around there when the odeon closed down and became a bingo hall
my younger brother used to live up by six ways and he was a regular bingo player and when that hall openend up heused to clean up there ; meaning that he always won the big house money games large amounts of money in the end his luck slowed down so he started to do all the other bingo halls and clean up there as well he used to live up on bartons bank six ways he was the first person to win the villa scratch card top prize at asda small heath
on hisfirst visit and the first wek of opening ; he hisone of these people any think he touched turns to gold me i am just the opersite
the only best thing for me in my lifehis i met a great lady and married her for keeps and still madly in love with her and she with me
and its going on for 36 years now thats my good luck my brother now and as done worked hard all is life and now he runs a succesful bussinees with the
IMI Complex at holfold drive and the other brother tony whom as worked at the ICI nd imi complex iS the security for the imi and sees him every morning day and nighthe learnt is trade as a tool maker a the chromaframe in chester street astoon by the old MEB electricticy board
my oldest brother was an apprentice electriction there for five years he was the ladwhom done the aston villa flood lights when they first had them installed
but getting back on track i remember the school and the police station aswell as we foundourlittle brotherwhom always wondeed off fromhome when he was about seven and eight from upper thomas street and victoria rdyes and we have found him there as well ;
he must have been facicated by the uniforms a he joined the forcesat a early age donehis toime and came out of the green jackets and joined the ICI
security company at wittonat the main gate he his now older an still there e as worked along side patys father whm was there as well
great memorys best wishes alan astonian

Hi Alan: Yes, I remember the Odeon closing down to become a Bingo Hall. I was nearly in tears!!!
I used the Birchfield Cinema a lot as well and remember taking my friend's little brother to see "Calamity Jane" there about six times, I knew the words to most of the songs at the end of that. (He was only about eight, but I think he must have had a crush on Doris Day).
And then the Birchfield closed as well....#sob# Not many cinemas left now like the old Palaces of our youth, eh?

Which closed first - The Odeon or The Birchfield? I'd have said The Birchfield, as it was demolished and the site developed into a Mac Fisheries. We were married in July 1971 and used Mac Fisheries quite regularly, so it must have been open some time before we were wed. The last film I saw at The Odeon was The Charge Of The Light Brigade (David Hemmings, Trevor Howard) and that would have been about 1969, and I'm sure it was operating as a cinema for some time after that. I can also remember The Odeon being developed into some kind of Asian centre for banquets, weddings and so forth, but don't think that lasted long.

Big Gee

Yes, it was definitely the Birchfield. My mother took me to see The King and I there, I think it was the last film shown before they closed. It was released in 1956 so I think that would be about right.

if memory serves me right the odeon on birchfield road was the first one in the country to open...maybe it replaced this one...

BirchfieldRoad.jpg

Yes, you are right about the Odeon in Perry Barr being the first one in the country.

I went to an exhibition on entertainment at the Jewish Museum in London this year and there was a mention of it as the Odeon chain were founded by Oscar Deutsch who was a Jewish guy.

The word Odeon was suposed to come from Oskar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation (but that may be a bit of a myth?!)

Wow, I wonder if any contributor to this forum actually remembers the cinema prior to The Odeon? I've never seen that photo before, Mr/Ms Sparks. The film "An Aviator's Love Affair" was released in 1913 as far as I've been able to find out, and in spite of the poster it isn't listed as a Chaplin film. Anyway, I'd guess that your photo dates from around the start of WW1, if not slightly before. A real piece of local history!

My dear old Mom didn't like me going to "The Birches" on a Saturday afternoon, as she thought some of the films they showed were a bit risque, even though I couldn't get in to see them!

Big Gee

The picture was actually posted by Astoness, not me!
I have never seen it before either, very interesting.

The Picturedrome appeared in Kellys between 1913 and 1915 :
City,Suburban & Midland Picturedrome Co. Limited (W. J. S. Green, sec), 287 Birchfield road, Birchfield. It looks as if it was in about the same place
It looks like the number 287 is a missprint and the cinema is further up, See post 68

no problem big gee the pics are coming at such a good rate now that even i dont know what i am posting...lol

Unless the numbering along Birchfield Road was changed, the Odeon was in a different position at 271 Birchfield Rd. So not very far away all the same. Viv.

Back