• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bench Family - Warwick, Birmingham, Yorkshire, Lancashire

mbenne

master brummie
Hi, I wonder if anyone can throw any light on an advertisement/s that appeared in either Birmingham or Warwick Newspaper publications between 1910 and 1929 trying to trace or offer assistance to Bench family members, also the relationship between a Mrs Ellen Smith (nee Bench) and my GGF Richard Bench.

The newspaper add/s would have been placed by or on behalf of Mrs Henry Ford USA. My Nan said there was a family connection and during the depression in 1920s Mrs Ford either tried to contact or trace family to offer assistance. I know that Mrs Henry Ford visited family origins in Warwick and Ireland in 1911 with Henry Ford and their son Edsel, following the death of her Mother Martha Bryant (Nee bench)

Last edited:
Ellen was the (eldest?) daughter of Thomas Bench and Ellen Mccafferty. She was born in Middlesbrough, registered Mar qtr 1865 Stockton.

She is on the 1871 census with family in Warwick (on familysearch they are listed as Rench, correctly on findmypast).

In both 1881 and 1891 she is a servant in the household of her employer.

Whilst in Yorkshire they also has a son, James Frederick, registered Sep 1866 died in 1867.

Martha appears to be the daughter of William Bench, Thomas Bench and Ellen Mccafferty's (eldest?) son.

Last edited:
Martha Bryant nee Bench was the daughter of William Bench and Mary Ann Godfrey born 1839 in Warwick.

William Bench was the brother of Thomas Bench the father of the Thomas Bench who married Ellen Mccafferty, they were the sons of a Richard Bench. So Martha Bryant and Thomas Bench would have been cousins.

It appears that Thomas married Martha, a sister of Mary Ann Godfrey in 1834. Martha died in 1835 and Thomas then married a Sarah Dutton in 1837.

Elizabeth Bench's daughter was Alice Bench baptised at St Mary, Warwick 6 Feb 1876. She married an Alfred Thomas Waldron, registered Jun qtr 1905 Kings Norton.

In 1911 she was living in Edgbaston (?) with husband, son and Mother.

Thank you. I was aware that one of the family was widowed but lost my notes and wrongly assumed that it was William. Is it possible to locate the newspaper ads?

There are some newspapers online and you can try the libraries.

On findmypast there looks to be at least 2 articles from the Warwick and Warwickshire Advertiser, one from 4 Aug 1923 and the other 26 Oct 1929. The first titled World's Richest Man and the second Mr Henry Ford's Purchase...

I don't have a subscription so can't see the complete articles.

There are some newspapers online and you can try the libraries.

On findmypast there looks to be at least 2 articles from the Warwick and Warwickshire Advertiser, one from 4 Aug 1923 and the other 26 Oct 1929. The first titled World's Richest Man and the second Mr Henry Ford's Purchase...

I don't have a subscription so can't see the complete articles.
Thanks again for helping me progress this piece of family history.

Back