• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Beginner - a little confused about info on 1939 electoral register vs 1939 England & Wales Register

marie.e.bee

Brummie babby
Hello!
This is my first post here and I was just wondering if someone could help me to understand why information on the 1939 electoral register may be different to information on the 1939 England and Wales register for the same address. According to the 1939 electoral register, I have my great-grandfather, William Cridge (34) and my great-grandmother Bertha Cridge (36) living at 144 Glover Street with William’s mother Eliza (Lizzie) Bates (nee Vann) and her second husband, William Bates. However, the 1939 England and Wales register has William and Eliza Bates with their daughter Violet Goddard (23) Violet had just married Albert Goddard in 1938, the year before.
I’m curious as to why William & Bertha Cridge are not listed on the England & Wales Register and Violet isn’t listed on the Electoral register.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5627.jpeg
    IMG_5627.jpeg
    890.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5628.jpeg
    IMG_5628.jpeg
    783.7 KB · Views: 16
William and Bertha appear to be at 21 Fast Pits Road on the 1939 register.

The ER and the 1939 Register were not taken at the same time so they probably moved between the 2 being taken.

Same possibly for Violet but in reverse from somewhere back to with her parents, especially if her husband had enlisted and she had a baby.

Welcome to the forum. Don't foregt many men are not on the 1939 register because they were already called up, were in occupations which already gave them an ID. In some case people are at different addresses because the 1939 "eve of war" register was taken at a different time from the 1939 register and many women and children had already moved to what they dsaw as safer places.

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense now. I knew this was the right place to ask for advice!

thank you both :)

The ER and the 1939 Register were not taken at the same time so they probably moved between the 2 being taken.

Same possibly for Violet but in reverse from somewhere back to with her parents, especially if her husband had enlisted and she had a baby.
William and Bertha Mary seem to be on the 1939 eroll at 21 Fast Pits Lane.
1695302164847.png
Not sure why or how this happened.

hi marie..i would suspect that between when the 39 electoral rolls and the 39 eve of war census was taken bertha and william moved...you will find them on the 39 eve of war at 21 fast pitts lane with children

lyn

In 1935 eroll they are all at 144 Glover Street so I assume that between filling in voting forms at Glover Street in 1939 they moved to Fast Pits and filled out forms there as well.
1695302458349.png

Is it likely Violet Goddard lived elsewhere with her husband Albert and had come to stay with the family in Glover Street? In which case she may well be on the eroll at that address.

My guess is that the house on Fast Pits Road was built in 1939, and with five children and a sixth on the way, William going into the military, Bertha would have thought it best to move there. I wonder how different is was then in Yardley compared to Glover Street? It might have been like moving to the countryside!

My guess is that the house on Fast Pits Road was built in 1939, and with five children and a sixth on the way, William going into the military, Bertha would have thought it best to move there. I wonder how different is was then in Yardley compared to Glover Street? It might have been like moving to the countryside!
very different maria..glover st in the digbeth area was very old houses and not nice to live in..no heating..no inside toilets ..poor sanitary etc...coming to yardley way back then was still very much countryfied so yes i think you are correct...

lyn

Back