• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Beck

O

orchidhunter

I am searching for information about one of my ancestors, Joseph Beck (baptised 1819 in Aston). His wife was Sarah Askey (baptised 1823 in Aston. Their children were Henry Percy, Colenza, Allen, Ellen,Emily, Mary, Sarah, Walter and Percer).

I would love to hear from anyone sharing this ancestor, and anyone with information about Josephs parents.
Ta;)

1841 Census Milk Street Birmingham

John Beck age 50 White smith
Mary Beck 55
Joseph Beck 20 Castor
Leweazer (sic) Beck age 15
Suzan (sic) Beck 15

The family all born Warwickshire.

did i give you the details of the marriage of joseph beck to sarah askey?

it was at st. martins on 12 dec 1841 they were both of full age, bachelor and spinster, abode great barr st. fathers john beck (fire iron maker) and joseph askey (castor)

the witnesses were maria wall and susannah askey

Could this be Joseph's parents in 1851?
Beck John aged 61 born Wednesbury,Staffordshire,occ Fire Iron Forger
Mary aged 63 Wife born Birmingham occ Chain Woman
Taylor Susan aged 25 Daur born Birmingham occ Percushian (sic)Cap Maker
Taylor Thomas aged 25 Son In Law born Birmingham, occ Carter
Taylor Thomas aged 3 Grandson born Birmingham,
all living at Hurst Street 4 Court House 7, Birmingham St Martins, Warwickshire
Marriage of Joseph's sister
Susan Beck m Thomas Taylor
Year of Registration: 1847
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Birmingham (1837-1924)
County: Warwickshire
Volume: 16
Page: 387

Last edited:
Hello Ladylinda,
My apologies for not replying sooner to your posts responding to my questions about the Beck family line. I have had serious problems that have kept me out of the family research loop until now. I am now back on track.
Yes the information you have provided about John Beck's family appears to be my man. I am now looking for vital docs and Parish Register transcripts for the marriage of John Beck the fire iron maker and Mary (Ridley?)

Thanks for your help
Howard :)

Found this on IGI?
JOHN BECK married MARY ANN RIDLEY
Marriage: 11 JUN 1820 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England

Found this on IGI?
JOHN BECK married MARY ANN RIDLEY
Marriage: 11 JUN 1820 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England
I have just seen this. Not sure ifvits the same Beck - I have been trying to go back into my Great Grandma’s line. She was Charlotte Beardshaw, née Wanklin. Her mother was Harriet Wanklin, née Beck. Harriet’s mother was a Mary Beck. Harriet was born approx 1848 so Mary Beck prob born 1827/8 - all around Aston btw.

I have just seen this. Not sure ifvits the same Beck - I have been trying to go back into my Great Grandma’s line. She was Charlotte Beardshaw, née Wanklin. Her mother was Harriet Wanklin, née Beck. Harriet’s mother was a Mary Beck. Harriet was born approx 1848 so Mary Beck prob born 1827/8 - all around Aston btw.

If Charlotte Wanklin married Benjamin Beardshaw (then Alfred Fellows), then her mother appears to have been Harriet Hodson b1829, the daughter of John Griffin Hodson and Mary Marshall. Mary married William Beck in 1838 after John's death.

If not then ignore.

If Charlotte Wanklin married Benjamin Beardshaw (then Alfred Fellows), then her mother appears to have been Harriet Hodson b1829, the daughter of John Griffin Hodson and Mary Marshall. Mary married William Beck in 1838 after John's death.

If not then ignore.
Thanks thats super interesting. It fits. Can you see anywhere who Mary Marshalls parents were?!

Her father was definitely a John Marshall, fortunately he is listed on her second marriage and is with her on the 1841 census. He was listed as a Plater Journeyman.

Her mother was probably a Sarah but more than that nothing certain. She appears to have died before 1841 and John's birthplace is listed outside county so could have come from anywhere and has died by 1851.

There are possible marriages in Brailes and Walsall but there appear to be children from the former listed there so that probably rules that one out.

Back