• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Beale st aston

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks would anyone have any photos of beale st please..i believe it was off queens road...

many thank for any help

lyn

Hello Lyn, Beale Street was my playground because it was at the bottom of my street, Gladstone. It was marvellous for shrapnel collecting after the Queens Road land mine disaster but a bit dangerous to mess around in because of the shifting rubble. My dad served many customers with coal and consequently I pulled lots of bags to the side of the truck to help him. Kind regards, David.

Hello Lyn, Beale Street was my playground because it was at the bottom of my street, Gladstone. It was marvellous for shrapnel collecting after the Queens Road land mine disaster but a bit dangerous to mess around in because of the shifting rubble. My dad served many customers with coal and consequently I pulled lots of bags to the side of the truck to help him. Kind regards, David.

hi david we didnt see danger when we were children did we some of the things i got up to makes me shudder now lol

lyn

hi david we didnt see danger when we were children did we some of the things i got up to makes me shudder now lol

lyn
H

InMemory of 'The Shrapnel Collectors'
DavidWeaver (c) 2014

There'splenty of lost skin on those bomb sites,
rubbedfrom knees, elbows and bums.
Kidscollecting fragments of death,
tryingto out-wit all their chums.

Climbingover the rubble of lost memories,
thebric a brac of homes blown away.
Collectingthe shrapnel that left a big scar,
stilltucked into thoughts of today.

Ionce found a fin sticking out of the mud,
pulledit, rocked it, then heaved.
Butnothing would loosen the grip from its bed,
soI went home feeling quite peeved.

Iasked my sister to help save the rare prize,
butshe clipped my ear with loud jeers.
SoI went back alone and my prize was gone,
noFin, a new hole full of fresh tears.

Theblood on my knees now replaced by old scars,
pockets long emptied of steel.
MayI wish Gudday to those collectors thought gone,
asthey sit with their kin for a meal.

Nowlife goes on as life always will,
separatedby distance and time.
Butthe bond is the sweetest when first tasted,
asthe kids lost their skin in the grime.
DKW

ello Astoness, I wrote this last night in case I forgot it. You triggered the idea, regards, David.

Back