• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bartons arms closes

The tiles are extraordinary. There was Chinese food the last time I visited, but that was probably about 15 years ago as I was working in Perry Barr then. I hope naturally that the tiling will save the place for a future life.

The tiles are extraordinary. There was Chinese food the last time I visited, but that was probably about 15 years ago as I was working in Perry Barr then. I hope naturally that the tiling will save the place for a future life.
tai food for the past few years and very nice indeed derek..agree with you about the tiles including the hidden ones

something a lot of us has dreaded...one of the finest victorian pubs in the country:( virtually a publess area now

Hi all, the above news is very sad.

How can we stop the pubs closing doors for the last time?

I'm only a young lad, but can remember back in late sixties I worked a forty hour week my wages were £5 note and a few coins.
On Friday night with £1note in my pocket we would go out with lads had a few beers, chips on way home. Woke up in the morning with a few coins on bed side table.
Times have changed a pint of beer in 60's around 10 old pence ( under 5p today ) today £3.20 - £6-00 a pint my wages for the week in the sixties.

But today our wage packets are much larger.
Then Covid ( sorry for swear word ) came and closed our pub doors. Many pubs have never recovered.

Why did we used to attend the pub was it to meet up with our friends enjoy game darts a game dominoes a chat about nothing?
It is true you can purchase a beer in Tesco for half the price but do you miss the people you use to meet up with.

Why not get out that phone give a few old mates who you may have not seen spoken to for sometime and arrange a night at your old local for a night out, it will cost you more then Tesco.

It may remind you what you have been missing the last few years.

Cheers.

Nick Phillips :)

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, it's such a legendary pub with so much history especially with the theatre, an uncle of my father's used to work backstage at the Aston Hippodrome and I think they had a bell connected to the pub to alert artists who were drinking in there that it was time to return to the theatre.
I used to go in the Bartons with friends in the 70s as a meeting place before we went on to the Elbow Room or some other club.
I really hope someone steps up to save it!

Hi all, the above news is very sad.

How can we stop the pubs closing doors for the last time?

I'm only a young lad, but can remember back in late sixties I worked a forty hour week my wages were £5 note and a few coins.
On Friday night with £1note in my pocket we would go out with lads had a few beers, chips on way home. Woke up in the morning with a few coins on bed side table.
Times have changed a pint of beer in 60's around 10 old pence ( under 5p today ) today £3.20 - £6-00 a pint my wages for the week in the sixties.

But today our wage packets are much larger.
Then Covid ( sorry for swear word ) came and closed our pub doors. Many pubs have never recovered.

Why did we used to attend the pub was it to meet up with our friends? enjoy game darts a game dominoes a chat about nothing.
It is true you can purchase a beer in Tesco for half the price but do you miss the people you use to meet up with.

Why not get out that phone give a few old mates who you may have not seen spoken to for sometime and arrange a night at your old local for a night out, it will cost you more then Tesco.

It may remind you what you have been missing the last few years.

Cheers.

Nick Phillips :)
We said Nick. I went to the Barton a few times. Those pubs were a gathering place where you could enjoy one another’s company for a modest cost. So sad that many pubs are closing and that so many will miss the experience of a night at the PUB!
And BTW the beer was always very good that in my mind you could never replicate at home!

I've had a pint in my local village social club tonight, there are still four pubs within walking distance. Two others closed and have become houses. It has been about 15 years since I visited the Barton's Arms. The pubs in Birmingham city centre are packed at weekends, often standing room only. I hope that Oakham Ales can find another tenant for the Barton. The accountants call the shots. Some younger folk do 'Dry January' and many Gen Z don't drink alcohol. With my wife and adult children, we are more likely to buy a meal and have one drink. One of the village pubs is a gastro-pub. Only one pub is beer plus crisps and a cheese cob. My last 'local' from work was The Woodman which is closed indefinitely.

I've had a pint in my local village social club tonight, there are still four pubs within walking distance. Two others closed and have become houses. It has been about 15 years since I visited the Barton's Arms. The pubs in Birmingham city centre are packed at weekends, often standing room only. I hope that Oakham Ales can find another tenant for the Barton. The accountants call the shots. Some younger folk do 'Dry January' and many Gen Z don't drink alcohol. With my wife and adult children, we are more likely to buy a meal and have one drink. One of the village pubs is a gastro-pub. Only one pub is beer plus crisps and a cheese cob. My last 'local' from work was The Woodman which is closed indefinitely.
Stokkie, ( MANY GEN Z DON'T DRINK ). I must be getting old. what does this mean?

Nick Phillips

Enjoy while you can Derek! I certainly envy you (but not begrudge). I really miss the pub environment, particularly as I get older.
My wife and I found some pewter tankards we had unpacked when we m 2 1/2 years ago, we took four to keep out for us to use for old time sake!

we have a thread for the bartons arms link below...it has some lovely old photos of it in its hey day..

Stokkie, ( MANY GEN Z DON'T DRINK ). I must be getting old. what does this mean?

Nick Phillips
My apologies Nick, I mean that they are young.

• The Silent Generation: Born 1928-1945 (78-95 years old)
  • Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (59-77 years old)
  • Gen X: Born 1965-1980 (43-58 years old)
  • Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (27-42 years old)
  • Gen Z: Born 1997-2012 (11-26 years old)
  • Gen Alpha: Born early 2010s-2025 (0-about 10 years old)
(From Pew Research centre.)

Derek - a boomer

Last edited:
My friends told me about this on our WhatsApp group this morning, many are still regulars on match days and they were in on Tuesday evening, and nothing whatsoever was said about it's impending closure. It is always very busy when Villa are at home, I guess that isn't enough for the owners to keep it open when it is not frequented by many local residents on other days/evenings. Our friends had their wedding reception there forty odd years ago and I often popped in when I worked in the area and prior to matches. I struggle to think of a more ornate Victorian pub in Birmingham, I understand it may be grade 2 listed and it is so vital that it remains in place, and is not allowed to go the way of other pubs in the area. I trust the police will be on the look out for any arsonists, who may see this as another target for them.

"The costs of heating, lighting and power combined with the higher costs of employing people and general food cost increases have meant that the business is no longer viable; so with immediate effect we've shut the doors." So what are they planning to do with it, to make money then? If it carries on like this there won't be any pubs left in Birmingham, outside of the city centre. :(

My friends told me about this on our WhatsApp group this morning, many are still regulars on match days and they were in on Tuesday evening, and nothing whatsoever was said about it's impending closure. It is always very busy when Villa are at home, I guess that isn't enough for the owners to keep it open when it is not frequented by many local residents on other days/evenings. Our friends had their wedding reception there forty odd years ago and I often popped in when I worked in the area and prior to matches. I struggle to think of a more ornate Victorian pub in Birmingham, I understand it may be grade 2 listed and it is so vital that it remains in place, and is not allowed to go the way of other pubs in the area. I trust the police will be on the look out for any arsonists, who may see this as another target for them.

"The costs of heating, lighting and power combined with the higher costs of employing people and general food cost increases have meant that the business is no longer viable; so with immediate effect we've shut the doors." So what are they planning to do with it, to make money then? If it carries on like this there won't be any pubs left in Birmingham, outside of the city centre. :(
Interestingly it isn't owned by a PubCo, Oakham Ales owns one other pub in Peterborough which is next to the brewery. The brewery might seek a new tenant, install a manager or try to sell the building.

john i could not agree with you more...i think we could go around the houses for ever trying to work out why our pubs are closing but the fact is there are so many reasons...i like many of you just find it so sad that we are losing an industry that was once at the very heart of our community but so pleased that i am old enough to remember those days and take part in them..

lyn

Last edited:
Back