• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barretts ( Barratts ? ) Jewellery Quarter

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
Had a thoroughly good time ambling around the jewellery quarter on Saturday ( the company helped ) . Anyway, was telling the folks how good it was and discovered that my Grandfather worked there for 40 + years - believed to be for a company/factory called Barretts or Barratts. Has anyone heard of them or know where they were located ? If I've got an address to go at it would really help.

Thanks

Ian.

In 1956 Kellys there is a listing for Barretts Rubber Stamps, Constitution Hill.

Ignore above, after looking at the actual page the premises is in smethwick

Ian

Looking at 1940 directory (you don't say when it was likely to be) the most likely candidates are:
John William Barrett, manufacturing jewellers, 93 Spencer St
F.T.& A.Barratt & Co Ltd, Church metalwork and Architectural Brassfounders 107, 108 livery St.
Mike

Thanks Mike - that's brilliant - gives me something to go at.
My Grandfather retired around 1970 after working there for 40+ years - we're not sure whether his 'service' was at just the one firm though.
My memories of him are sketchy as he died just as I was becoming a teenager. My aunt is now looking into tracing the family tree and I thought I'd try and a look from the work angle ( especially as we had an amble around there on Saturday ).

Thanks again, appreciated.

Ian

hi ian..good luck with your research..please keep us informed of any developements...

lyn

Back