• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barr Beacon

Visited today to see if the repairs have been completed,

But the Scum have returned recently had Stolen more

I just despair of these low life apart from taking the lead it's the damage to such a beautiful iconic memorial. Have these people no contience...I know the answer to that ...

I am like wendy just in despair at who or what these people are, they surely can't have ancestors who fought/died for our homeland, the early photo's remind me of a better time, a more friendly and helpful time, the car park is now tar mac'd and the views not so rural but the memories I have of barr beacon even when my car got stuck in the mud are magical it was the courting centre in the 60's.
paul

We have more police and specials and community support officers on the beat now than ever....what do they do??? I see them all walking round almost holding hands...why dont they set up surveillance. And they wonder why the courts wont punish those who swear at them. still theyve still got the motorist to persecute and collect some easy convictions.

I was up Barr Beacon on Monday just gone and there are now contractors working on the memorial, the were stripping off what was left of the roofing, I guess they are going to replace it with something less tempting to the Scum Bags.

L-R_Joan_Simpson2CElsie_Corbet2C_Mary_Jesson2C_Muriel_Geedon2C_Elma_Jesson2C_Alice_Green_.jpg
This photo which includes my aunt was given to me last week by two lovely sisters on our caravan site who I have known for over 20 years. It came to light about six weeks ago that they originally came from West Bromwich and lived opposite my aunt. In fact they were all like a big happy family they lived in Dartmouth Street opposite the grapes pub. My aunts family lived in a row of four houses next to the pub with a brew house. They told me the man who lived in the first house was Mr Holloway who worked on the barges. They told me he would bring them skipping ropes home which I presume were ropes that had broken...what lovely memories.

The photo was taken at Barr Beacon I don't have a date but Elsie and Mary are both 90 next year.

The girls in the photo are L-R Joan Simpson, Elsie Corbett, Mary Jesson, Muriel Geedon, Elma Jesson, Alice Green.

Just in case anyone recognises a relative.

Last edited by a moderator:
what a great happy pic that is wend...and how lucky that it turned up...

thank you for posting it....

lyn.x

Lovely photo Wendy and thanks for sharing it. We were up Barr Beacon last week when a large hawk was hovering over head. He dived to the ground twice and missed his target then he had his eyes on our little dog. Shame we never took the camera!!!!.

From my Great War Trail of the Birmingham area....

Barr Beacon. Colonel John Henry Wilkinson of Ashfurlong House, situated just north of the Tamworth Road between Bassetts Pole and Sutton Coldfield, bought Barr Beacon as a perpetual public memorial for the soldiers of the Staffordshire and Warwickshire regiments killed in the Great War. It was purchased from the Scott estate of Great Barr Hall. It was opened to the public on April 21 1919. Wilkinson was a wealthy philanthropist and had served in the Staffordshire Volunteer Infantry Brigade. He was born in Bradford in 1845. His father came to Handsworth with a business in Birmingham – Wilkinson and Riddell, wholesale merchants. He was educated at private schools in Birmingham, Lancashire and Lausanne.He joined his father’s business and joined the local company of Volunteers. He was promoted and became a Brigade Major in the Staffordshire Volunteer Infantry Brigade. In 1894 he was an alderman on Staffordshire County Council and helped to create a Petty Sessions and criminal courts in the Handsworth district. He was also a magistrate. At that date he lived at ‘Elm Wood’ on Hamstead Hill. The copper dome on Barr Beacon was erected in Wilkinson’s memory in 1933 at the same time as the war memorial was built. It is on a raised dais covered with a copper covered wooden dome supported by eight columns. Use is made of Portland stone.
Handsworth Magazine Vol 1. No 6. December 1894

hi alan ;
yes also my lovely old god mother lives at the barr beacons she lived up there all her life she is in her late eightys now and she as lost her eye sight with age ; my cousin goes to see her and reads all her correspondences for her and looks after her welfare she wouldknow all the firms of yesterday her husband was the postmaster for the post office up that neck of the woods in the fortis and fifties there name was hamilton
she was my dads sister she is the only remaining member of there family my dad died in fifty eight and is brother died in the war and the other one died in the eightys and just afew months ago old floss her sister my aunt died in october last year ; best wishes astonian

Don't now if this has been sited befor , but here is the entry for Barr Beacon in Showell's Dictionary of 1885...

A trial was made on the 10th of january 1856, as to how far light could be seen by the ignition of a beacon on the Malvern Hills. It was said to have been seen from Snowdon in Wales (105 miles), and at other parts of the country at lesser distances, though the gazers at Worcester saw it not. The lookout at Dudley Castle (26 miles) could have passed the signal on to Barr Beacon but it was not needed, as the malvern light was not only seen there, but still away at Bardon Hill, Leicestershire. Many people imagine that Barr Beacon is the highest spot in the Midland Counties, but the idea is erroneous, Turner's Hill near Lye Cross, Rowley Regis, which is 893ft above sea level, being considerably higher, while the Clee Hills reach an altitude of 1100ft.

All the best Peter

Replacing a picture of the official opening of the Barr Beacon in 1919.moss

Attachments

• Official opening of Barr Beacon.Easter Monday 1919..jpg
    Official opening of Barr Beacon.Easter Monday 1919..jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 13
Yesterday 7th May 2012, still not repaired.

Attachments

• 7th May 2012 Monday 2 002.jpg
    7th May 2012 Monday 2 002.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 5
Yesterday 7th May 2012, still not repaired.

A terrible shame.

Barr Beacon played an important role in my youth, a great place to go running away from public gaze (this was the 1970's before running was a hobby), it's where a girlfriend used to trek on horseback and we'd meet occasionally, when feeling the need to be solitary I'd go to the bandstand and relax and read the place names from the brass plaque. I may even used it as a place to drive girlfriends to to admire the lights of the Birmingham conurbation at night (better than any etchings!).

A terrible shame.

Barr Beacon played an important role in my youth, a great place to go running away from public gaze (this was the 1970's before running was a hobby), it's where a girlfriend used to trek on horseback and we'd meet occasionally, when feeling the need to be solitary I'd go to the bandstand and relax and read the place names from the brass plaque. I may even used it as a place to drive girlfriends to to admire the lights of the Birmingham conurbation at night (better than any etchings!).

My play area in the 50s

Back