• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barbara Florence Newey

That birth (post #8) ties in with a marriage of Harry Newey to Florence Cooke reg in King;s Norton in 1919

Harry and Florence at 42 Sarehole Road on 1930 eroll.
My late Grandfather was Florence's brother (I'm not sure waht relation that makes me to Barbara, my late Father called her his cus). I have received the solicitors letter and have replied.

Barbara was 100 years old when she died and was in a nursing home in Bournville. She was the only person I knew who never bought a colour TV! She never married.

Hello to all my distant relatives here.

My late Grandfather was Florence's brother (I'm not sure waht relation that makes me to Barbara, my late Father called her his cus). I have received the solicitors letter and have replied.

Barbara was 100 years old when she died and was in a nursing home in Bournville. She was the only person I knew who never bought a colour TV! She never married.

Hello to all my distant relatives here.
Hello Cookie, that's most interesting that you had a solicitors letter as well. Don't expect a reply from them however, having seen the will myself there is no way any of us can expect to inherit anything as the will clearly states who her beneficiaries are unless they all died suddenly as well. Not even bothering to reply to those like me who paid for scans of passport etc is a bit suspicious. Noting that the solicitors are the executors, and thereby could take a large chunk plus expenses of the value of the property. Hourly rates range between £160 per hour (for a trainee solicitor) to £400 per hour (for a senior partner) + 20% VAT :eek:

Your grandfather was Florence Cooke's brother, your father was Barbara's cousin and you would be Barbara's cousin once removed.

Hello Cookie, that's most interesting that you had a solicitors letter as well. Don't expect a reply from them however, having seen the will myself there is no way any of us can expect to inherit anything as the will clearly states who her beneficiaries are unless they all died suddenly as well.
I spoke to the solicitor before I sent anything and determined exactly what is going on for my peace of mind. There are many of us who have been contacted, possibly using heir hunters, the cost of which which will come out of the estate total remnants.

The solicitor has told me they are waiting for all those contacted to reply, so she can send out one letter confirming what is left in the estate to distribute.

I'm not particularly fussed what the value of anything coming this way is, but if everyone concerned doesn't contact them, then things will just grind to a halt.

At the end of the day, it's about getting things sorted and maybe seeing the family tree extended.

BTW, my Grandfather was born in Tipton.

The total estate is just under £200,000
I think that figure is the total figure of bequests in the will, not the value of the estate, as that has not been published anywhere I know of (it will only be known by the solicitor and no one else yet).

Have you tried phoning the solicitor like I did, to find out the current position with regards to the wider family members not specifically mentioned in the will?

I think that figure is the total figure of bequests in the will, not the value of the estate, as that has not been published anywhere I know of (it will only be known by the solicitor and no one else yet).

Have you tried phoning the solicitor like I did, to find out the current position with regards to the wider family members not specifically mentioned in the will?
I have not contacted the solicitors, have you seen the will? I have a copy of the will together with probate details. The value of the estate is clearly written as gross value £195,602.00 and net value £192,998.00. Apart from £5000 to the RSPCA and £1000 each to two friends, the entire remainder inc the flat goes to her neighbours

Last edited:
I have not contacted the solicitors, have you seen the will? I have a copy of the will together with probate details. The value of the estate is clearly written as gross value £195,602.00
But the will was done in 2018 you said? The value of the final estate will be different now and only the solicitor has that up to date information. Why do you think they have contacted all of us if there is nothing left to disperse? Maybe all or some of the people bequeathed in the will are now no longer alive?

Just wait and see, although it doesn't really matter as before you got the letter you knew nothing of Barbara and had no idea there might be something coming to you.

Thankfully I met her on lots of occasions and am pleased to discover more relatives such as yourself on the Newey side. It's all a bonus and it will take time.

Last edited:
The value of the estate will now be less as various costs will be deducted such as for numerous letters etc. It's nice to hear that you knew Barbara, we had no idea, It's possible that the neighbour who inherits wishes to pass on personal effects to her relatives if they can be found.
If they were her friends and helped her when she became really old then I'm glad that she remembered them in her will

cookie1600 said:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to add that although the will is dated 2018 the actual value of an estate will only appear on the probate document, in this case it's dated October 2021 so has been available for anyone to view since this date

Last edited:
Back