• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barbara Florence Newey

izzy eckerslike

master brummie
I have discovered I had an Aunt, Miss Barbara Florence Newey who died on 28th November 2020.

I have no idea how old she was and it's rather sad to think she lived just 15 miles away in Moseley and as she never married could have been lonely. Can anyone find out how old she was (possibly in her 90's) and the names of her parents? I am a Newey and she must have been related to my dad who was Arthur Alfred Newey.

According to the GRO death entry she was born in 1920
Not sure if she died there but she lived at one time in the flats next to Sarehole Mill

Hello Janice,
that's very helpful so many thanks, she lived in an apartment on Wake Green road when she died, she must have been 100 years old ! how sad I never knew she existed. Solicitors are handling her estate so other unknown relatives might be discovered as well

Possibly Barbara was your dad's cousin, if your grandfather was Edgar Newey. Edgar had an elder brother Harry that matches the one mentioned by Janice (age matches on 1939 register).

Possibly Barbara was your dad's cousin, if your grandfather was Edgar Newey. Edgar had an elder brother Harry that matches the one mentioned by Janice (age matches on 1939 register).
Yes, my Grandad was Edgar Newey, sheet metal worker and Grandmother was, I think, May Newey, possibly maiden name Warden?

yes jan birth april quarter1920 so she was a great age izzy

MS Barbara F Newey
Birth Date:1918-1920
Residence Date:2003-2004
Address:Flat 7, Millmead Lodge, 275, Wake Green Road, B13 9XL
Residence Place:Birmingham, West Midlands, England

That birth (post #8) ties in with a marriage of Harry Newey to Florence Cooke reg in King;s Norton in 1919

Harry and Florence at 42 Sarehole Road on 1930 eroll.

yes jan birth april quarter1920 so she was a great age izzy

MS Barbara F Newey
Birth Date:1918-1920
Residence Date:2003-2004
Address:Flat 7, Millmead Lodge, 275, Wake Green Road, B13 9XL
Residence Place:Birmingham, West Midlands, England

Yes, 100 years old, I hope she had some friends in those other flats, that's the address we have been given in the solicitors letter but not had any more info from them yet and it could go on for months tracing relatives

living in kings heath with harry florence and emily on the 1921 census so as jan said harry and florence most likely her parents...emily could have been a sister

lyn
I think Emily is Florence's Mother as on 1939 reg it lists Harry (b 1888), Florence (b 1891) and Emily Cooke (b 1865).

Yes, my Grandad was Edgar Newey, sheet metal worker and Grandmother was, I think, May Newey, possibly maiden name Warden?

Yes, her name was Warden, married in 1917/1918.

On the Newey side Barbara had at least 3 uncles (including Edgar) and 2 aunts.

On the Cooke side Barbara appears to have at least 3 uncles.

If she seemingly left no will then maybe the government appoints a local solicitor to handle the case which would involve probate? the date of her death and probate date are 11 months apart

Even if there's a Will you still have to apply for probate (unless left to a spouse I think) so a Will doesn't preclude probate.

And I think (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that the government do very little if there's no Will. That's how the firms on the tv make money, they find an estate with no obvious beneficiaries, try to track down heirs and then try to get those heirs to employ them to handle the case.

My dad received a letter many years ago from a firm of solicitors suggesting he might be an heir. The name was unfamiliar at the time so he did nothing. It was only after I started doing my family tree that I found that the person was a relation but I also found many closer relatives.

She may have left a will with solicitors as executors. They would have to apply for probate before they could start dealing with bequests. If there was no will then an administrator is appointed.

Yes MWS I think you are right. The firms can charge 25% of any claim . There may be other firms contacting Izzy if this is the case. I certainly had about six of them when my ex-wife died.

PS Or Janice may well may be right

She is not on the list of unclaimed estates as far as I can see. That is the list firms like heir hunters work from.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Well if there was no Will, it would probably take a bit of work. On her Cooke side Barbara appears to have had 6 cousins and on her Newey side (which Izzy would probably know better) she appears to have had at least 16 cousins (not inc. 3 who died young) and there is one uncle I can't see after he marries.

Never sure that if there was 1 surviving cousin for example it would go to them or would have to be split with all the descendants of the deceased cousins - theoretically of course.

As it only costs £1.50 and you get an ecopy as soon as you have paid I would be tempted to see what the probate says. If it is just a grant of probate or if there was a will.
Even if there is a will the entry only shows the word "probate"

Last edited:
As it only costs £1.50 and you get an ecopy as soon as you have paid I would be tempted to see what the probate says. If it is just a grant of probate or if there was a will.
Even if there is a will the entry only shows the word "probate"
I've just made an account, added the details and paid £1.50 but so far I can't find the document, only the receipt.

If I click on the download PDF it gives me the receipt

EDIT:

I found it and there is a will which I am now looking at

Last edited:
The will allocates the entire estate to various friends and neighbours who must have looked after her so I have no idea why both myself & my sister have had letters concerning this and asking for proof of identity.

The cynic in me would say that because it hasn't been left to family they're looking for someone to muddy the waters, aiming to get a pay out for themselves no matter what the outcome.

The total estate is just under £200,000 of which the Solicitors as executors will probably take a large cut and one of her neighbours is left the apartment and all personal chattels not disposed of by the will.

Last edited:
I take it your letter is from the solicitors who are acting as executors?
It seems a bit odd. I would be wanting more info before I handed over any proof of id. As MWS says being cynical :(
i find that bit odd jan...if izzy is not named in the will then why would a solicitor contact him...i think a quick phone call is needed

lyn

An non cynical reason could be that if the Will was made some time ago (but not necessarily) the main beneficiary may have pre-deceased the lady. Again I don't really know what would happen then.

I think if the allocation had been in monetary terms that portion would have not been allocated, but added to any residue. If it was a % then no idea

Back