• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bankrupt Birmingham!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I remember the equal pay claim from nearly twenty years ago. The council did oppose the claim. Many years later the European Court said Birmingham Council were in the wrong and should uphold the claim from the female members who put in the original claim. Good for women's rights but costly for the council.
If they go the way they are going, they will not get ANY money! I'm all for equal pay for equal work but if you have no money regardless of what court says what, the point is moot!

I have a friend who works for the council (woman 50+) who has a low role >25k who works in an office essentially answering emails and phone calls. She got backdated a few years ago to the sum of 60k. They compare her job to that of a binman who is out at 4am and is working the roads. How can they be paying women less in this century is no 1 issue. And if they are and its not to do with hours worked or any other circumstance that could shift the headline why have birmingham council accepted the commonwealth games whilst building new housing in perry barr, which is still vacant? Are bham council run by trust fund children who have no concept of economics or budgeting?

I have a friend who works for the council (woman 50+) who has a low role >25k who works in an office essentially answering emails and phone calls. She got backdated a few years ago to the sum of 60k. They compare her job to that of a binman who is out at 4am and is working the roads. How can they be paying women less in this century is no 1 issue. And if they are and its not to do with hours worked or any other circumstance that could shift the headline why have birmingham council accepted the commonwealth games whilst building new housing in perry barr, which is still vacant? Are bham council run by trust fund children who have no concept of economics or budgeting?
Would seem so! Welcome to The Forum!

I understood that there was a later issue regarding the treatment of bonus payments which were paid unfairly? This meant additional liability to back pay femail staff.
The knock-on effect must have snowballed through every department the (Birmingham) council managed. The decision would have had an impact on employees salaries, bonuses, overtime payments, pension contributions, severance payments. A nightmare scenario for the council.

The knock-on effect must have snowballed through every department the (Birmingham) council managed. The decision would have had an impact on employees salaries, bonuses, overtime payments, pension contributions, severance payments. A nightmare scenario for the council.
Based upon the readings of this thread there is very little being managed.
Nothing is perfect but it seems like gross incompetence or knowing indiscretion. HR pay scale can be difficult, but this has been going on for a long time. Repeating myself, “ the inmates are running the asylum” and the tax payers will be badly hurt. This is a “no win game” for tax payers.

I think that along with Birmingham another 8 have gone under in the last 2 years, and in next 2 years 26 more could go. Broken Britain ?
Goodness! They better get a handle on that! It sounds like the so-called leadership is playing appeasement games. That is a loose loose situation! You have to take your medicine, or it will be very bad news!

There seems to be a consensus now that a further 26 councils could join Birmingham.
Whilst local authorities are loosing national support for services the government are financing the development of ' Freeports'. They will be quite substantial areas where businesses will pay no tax or low tax. Foreign owners will be able to suck even more profits out of the country whilst jobs move from one part of the country to another.

Whilst local authorities are loosing national support for services the government are financing the development of ' Freeports'. They will be quite substantial areas where businesses will pay no tax or low tax. Foreign owners will be able to suck even more profits out of the country whilst jobs move from one part of the country to another.
And a good example is Teesside near old Richie Sunak‘s pad. Some enormous fiddles have gone on there.

the team feel that this topic has now run its course...not much more to be said but lets hope the city can get out of the mess it is in...thanks to everyone for their contributions

the team

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back