• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balti Houses in Ladypool Road

Strawberry Hunter

master brummie
I went to a balti house last night in Ladypool Rd. Extremely good food.

Obviously I know the basic history on balti houses in Birmingham, but if anyone can offer me any more info, it would be great to learn.

I went to one of the Balti places with my evening school classmates, late 80's I think, but I can't remember which one it was - very nice though.

Didn't some of the restaurant buildings in Ladypool Road get damaged by strong winds/hurricane some years ago?

Is Saleem's still there? I think Abdul died, but in the 70/80s it was the place to eat, no cutlery, eat with a chapati, like you're supposed to :)
Adil's in Stoney Lane was the same. Glass on top of the tables, with menus underneath. No alcohol served.

Fabulous balti house. It was the first place where I had green chilli bhajis.

Steve.

I went to a balti house last night in Ladypool Rd. Extremely good food.

Obviously I know the basic history on balti houses in Birmingham, but if anyone can offer me any more info, it would be great to learn.
There's a potted history on Wikipedia. Been few years since I ate on the Ladypool Road. I remember finishing the meal with Betel nut rolled up in a leaf.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balti_(food)

Back