• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

suejoy

:angel:hello there, I'm new to this but I'm hoping someone can help.
My sister Norma Mary Green died in 1938, 2 years before I was born, and is buried in Witton Cemetary. I spent many hours as a child there, taken by my mother. On her grave was a child angel scattering flowers made by Roddis & Nourse. To me it was my sister.
About 1997 the statue was sawn off the plinth and stolen. I know no-one will have a photograph of it, but it was quite a popular child statue, and I wondered if anyone has a picture of one like it. It was always on a child grave, a little stone angel with flowers in her dress and one in her hand. I would love a photo of it and wondered if anyone had one from Witton or anywhere else.:angel:

Hello Sue I have many memorial photo's but mainly in Key Hill Cemetery. I have heard of Roddis and Nourse as they were a Birmingham company but dodn't have a photo of this memorial. I will keep my eyes peeled for one of these memorials now though. I am so angry and upset to learn of what happened to the memorial on your sisters grave. I always feel people who do wicked things like this have comeback at some time. Hopefully we can locate a picture for you. Best wishes Wendy.

Is it like this one, Sue
angel_2.jpg

Hi SueJoy,
I have recently started to look into my wifes tree. Her Aunt died in 1938 aged 17. She had a beautiful grave in Witton with an Angel on it. It was still intact in 1960 when the wifes Gran (the childs mother) was buried in there.
At some point late 1970's - this was taken off and no doubt decorates somes ones garden!
It's not scattering ashes, but was still a 1938 Angel.
Witton_92-53996_Mary_Shore_1938.jpg

Grave as completed 1938

Thes are lovely pictures, what a shame the angel has gone, I'm amazed the bird survived. (Someone stole an ornamental plant pot from my doorstep on Christmas Eve!!).
rosie.

hello everyone, I can't put into words how touched I am by the kind response by so many people helping me find a picture of my sister's lost angel. I can't blame the cemetary. When I reported the loss to tne cemetary office, I was told that ours wasn't the only angel stolen, but they had been refused permission to put barbed wire along the top of the walls to try to protect the place in case the perpetrators hurt themselves!! So Typical - only criminals have human rights, victims don't. Thank you all again. The other little lost angel, with the bird, looks most like Norma, but I cherish all the pictures you have sent.

Reading through this thread has made me quite sad. As Jean says some people have no heart. How anyone can damage such beautiful graves is beyond me! The little angels were obviously sought after. I hope I never see one in a garden. I am glad you at least have photo's of the grave Brian. I suppose the one good thing about family history is it is bringing more and more visitors to our cemeteries and so discouraging the undesirables. I am glad you have a picture at least sue.

Hi Wendy, Enid used to love angels, I still have them all over the bungalow, she was
sure everyone had their own guardian angel.She has been among them three and a half years now, suppose one day I will find out if she was right, Happy New Year to Michael and family, Bernard

I am sure Enid is now a guardian angel like my Mom, I like to think they are special people. My sister is convinced she looks after her (she is having a tough time at the moment on her own with 3 children). I love angels as well and have some lovely ones I put up at Christmas. Happy New Year to you and your family Bernard...x

What a great result, well done all our "supersleuths"! I read this thread with tears in my eyes and for suejoy to see a statue like on her sisters grave made me smile! We all carry precious images from our childhood in our heads and it was lovely to witness this!
Here's hoping the pilfering fellons get their just desserts!!!

As you say Barbinoz let's hope these thieves get their comeuppance. You know what they say 'You take something from someone, someone will take something from you'. I personally always hope that this happen's. A very sad story Suejoy.

Hi maggs
just a brief one i was wondering whether or not you recall goin to frankly cemetry i think it was in the summer
of last year and i asked you to try and get a pic of dennis jelf grave for me; and yu kindlly done so for me
so what i am wondering would it be possible thatyou ay have kept any copyies of your visit there
as i have mislaid mine and what i am relly after is if possible a date on his stone as to when he died and possible another picture
as i have made contact with another jelf family whom mother was a daughter to arther jelf and she never got to know any think about the back ground of her father she as kindly sent me some pictures of the infamouse mary ann jelf and of our aunty ivy
an of the jelf brothers but she is not aware of the tory behind tewe are gng to arrange a meet up
so if i could get another copy from you it would be grear or if you couldgive me a date of his death off his picture would be terific if you cannot do not worry many thanks alan

Hello Alan,

I was very disappointed to read your thread because I am not the one who got the photo for you of Dennis Jelf's grave at Frankly cemetery, but would have liked to be able to help you with this. Can you put this request onto the Forum and hope that the someone who did it for you will read it and be able to send the photo to you? Regards from Maggs.

Back