• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

AVERY SCALES HISTORY

An early Avery factory was at #12 Digbeth (the road) but Graces Guide seems to suggest that work later spread (mid1800s?) to 3 other factories including Mill Lane. Well at least I think that’s what’s meant. This is the extract:

Mid-century: the original Digbeth premises were still used as the head office but manufacturing had spread to three other factories: platform scales and sack scales were made at Mill Lane works.

The Grace’s Guide Page is here https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/W._and_T._Avery

Viv.

Some early background history about the Avery scale manufacturing business. In 1813 William Avery took over Balden’s “old established concern” of scale beam manufactory and it’s steelyard from Joseph Balden. (Joseph Balden was married to Mary Avery).

AFBED807-CC8E-4DEC-A0BC-AE795DEDBA82.jpeg

The Baldens and Averys had a close connection going further back, as Balden was named as one of the executors of John Avery’s will in 1806. Source of extracts: British Newspaper Archive.

Viv

B0CDB3B5-5E00-4233-BA12-C46DE606D4E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Balden bought the Digbeth scale and steelyard concern from Thomas Beach in 1794. The business operation sounds already well established judging by this 1794 notice. At this time a dwelling house is mentioned at #11 Digbeth Street.

Viv.

5C455A0C-83F5-40B9-92F2-8F494F8E55EC.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

The business sale notice on the planned retirement of Thomas Beach in 1793. It’s possible there was a substantial house at #11 Digbeth Street. Is it shown on any early maps ?

Viv.

8AA45E47-A676-4F12-B19D-43AA4034D9FF.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

I find it very interesting to look at the differences, particularly in the spelling, between the excerpts. In 1794, and 1806, the lower case s is written as lower case f, with S reserved for upper case. his was quite normal at the time, although the interchangeability of s and f seemed less rigorous in other documents I have seen. Not long after, in 1813, this substitution has disappeared, with s and f being used in their current form. Capitalisation is very different to current usage too.
Anyway, back to Avery.
Back in one of my career segments in the Midlands, I worked in the weighing industry, and came across a lot of Avery equipment. We were in different market segments though, so never competed.
Andrew.

Here we have Mr Beach operating in the Bull Ring in 1779 as a scale beam and steelyard maker, clearly an established business if he’s buying up Brunton’s branches. Pity it doesn’t confirm where exactly in the Bull Ring but most probably the Digbeth address given earlier.

Viv

BCE058AE-3EF3-4891-AC15-38108BAE4074.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Very interesting already, the floor im down to now, across the whole building is a form of early concrete, if we had a date for the building that would be a help, i've been under strict instructions not to break the concrete base, until the archeaologists are back on site, so they must be very interested what we will find under there

Here we have Mr Beach operating in the Bull Ring in 1779 as a scale beam and steelyard maker, clearly an established business if he’s buying up Brunton’s branches. Pity it doesn’t confirm where exactly in the Bull Ring but most probably the Digbeth address given earlier.

Viv

View attachment 176180
Source: British Newspaper Archive
1779 is going back an awful long time, how interesting

Thomas Beach’s sister was married to John Avery. We also have Joseph Balden, mentioned earlier, married to Mary Avery. Keeping things (or gathering business) into the family. Viv.

viv i have changed the thread title so that it covers the excavation of avery scales digbeth and it also gives sean a thread where hopefully he can keep us updated in the coming weeks/months

lyn

It could be, they are listed early as 11, then 12 and a half, and also 12A. On the map 12 seems a bit larger than the other premises so they could have expanded from the early days ?
On closer look Avery are possibly on both sides of Moat Lane repairing shop. There is a coppersmith next door and another on Digbeth( subcontractors?). Lots of vacant properties there too so easy to expand.

Interesting that the Avery showrooms were sitting in amongst market businesses, so a good spot for weighing scales orders and repairs. They of course had to be precisely balanced. I notice the Weights and Measures Office nearby too - corner of Moat Lane and St Martin’s Lane. Viv.

Trying to make some sense of the various activities from the 1880s insurance map. Do we actually now have the makings of the old scale making business complete setup ? Specifically:

We know Thos Beach sold #11, a dwelling house, a warehouse (blue dot) to Balden in 1794. Would #11 be the same building ? Or did it replace an older building ?
We know that Avery’s later adverts also gives #12 (blue dot) as an address. That’s marked as Showrooms with dwellings above. The “showroom “ being the face of the business in any advertising.
At the rear in Moat Lane is a Scale Preparing Shop (green dot) - owner unnamed.
And across the road also on Moat Lane is Avery’s Repair Works (orange dot)

They all seem very connected and conveniently self- contained to me. Does this make up the earlier history of Balder/Beach/Avery ?

Viv.
1009CDE2-6F61-4035-A81A-CB74E466DE97.jpeg

Last edited:
Early Avery advertising showing #12 Digbeth as one of their properties. They also had #5, #6 and #26 Moat Lane in 1835. Source of adverts from Grace’s Guide. Viv.

D8BCF124-70C3-4F87-9D53-143468FF3EC7.jpegA72E0AB0-11E0-4C53-91D1-B23B9AF38D9C.jpeg

This gives some address detail.

Attachments

• 36F97DBD-577E-4634-BA57-2209ECABFB38.jpeg
    36F97DBD-577E-4634-BA57-2209ECABFB38.jpeg
    920.7 KB · Views: 13
Posted at the same time Tinpot !

If like me you’ve been thinking a ‘steelyard’ was a yard for storing steel, it isn’t ! I’d been looking for evidence of a largish yard on maps only to realise a steelyard is a :

balance in which an object to be weighed is suspended from the shorter arm of a lever and the weight determined by moving a counterpoise along a graduated scale on the longer arm until equilibrium is attained.

I’ve leaned something new. Viv

Posted at the same time Tinpot !

If like me you’ve been thinking a ‘steelyard’ was a yard for storing steel, it isn’t ! I’d been looking for evidence of a largish yard on maps only to realise a steelyard is a :

balance in which an object to be weighed is suspended from the shorter arm of a lever and the weight determined by moving a counterpoise along a graduated scale on the longer arm until equilibrium is attained.

I’ve leaned something new. Viv
Me too. I’ve been in the Australian Outback looking at gold weighing scales for miners made by Avery. Tinpot

Could #26 Moat Lane listed in the 1835 advert be the “steel mill factory” across the road from Avery Scale Repairing shops on the insurance map ? Next to it I think it says “Forges”. Probably a lot of history associated with the forges as we know Digbeth was famous for them a long time before Birmingham really developed at a pace. And could the steel mill have been developed from these (early?) forges ?Viv.

Last edited:
Foundry Lane first appears as the Avery Factory in the 1897 Kellys. Nothing is listed as on the site in the 1896 edition, and it is occupied by James Watt & Co in 1895.

Back