• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Villa football team 1905

helen bell

Brummie babby
I have found this postcard photo of Aston Villa winning the cup 1905. A players cigarette card of the winners doesn't seem to match with the faces in the photo. Tha back is stamped 'E S Baker and Son photographer 104 ?(unreadable). I am wondering if anyone can name the players correctly so that I may find if this is connected to my family tree or just a souvenir picture. Thank you

Attachments

• Scan_20230326 (7).jpg
    Scan_20230326 (7).jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 26
Villa won the cup in 1905 (15th April) beating Newcastle 2 - 0

What makes you think the photo is of the winning cup side? Could it be a photo of the 1905 - 1906 squad with the cup?
Comparing the cup in the Mail photo and the photo in post 1 I am not sure they are the same.

Villa won the cup in 1905 (15th April) beating Newcastle 2 - 0

What makes you think the photo is of the winning cup side? Could it be a photo of the 1905 - 1906 squad with the cup?
Comparing the cup in the Mail photo and the photo in post 1 I am not sure they are the same.
I posted a query on another site and got the answer '1905' from there. Also the fact of it being a photo of an Aston Villa team. I agree, comparing the cup to that in other photos of the time it looks different. Also, players faces don't match, ie; the bald head centre back isn't shown on other pictures. Can't find another photo the same on any other site. It's a mystery!

Part way down this article is a photo of the 1905 FA cup won by Aston Villa. I don't think it is the cup in the photo.
My pic is in poor condition but having just tried to enlarge and improve it, it could well be the same cup. The finial is a 'man', handles similar shape, possibly the basket work below. The base looks different and can't see any ornamentation or name listing but that could be down to poor quality. Thank you for your help. Looks like it was just a souvenir, maybe the family had knowledge of a player as I don't think there were any footie fans amongst them.

Attachments

• aston cup.jpg
    aston cup.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 7
It was that wide "ring" under the bowl of the cup. I thought that was missing on the newspaper picture.

fa-cup-winners-aston-villa-1905-14235025.jpg.webp
Harry Hampton scoring one of his two goals in the final below:
FACupFinal1905NewcastleVilla.jpg

This is a list of players that played for the Aston Villa first team during season 1905-06, which may help in finding if one of these names, also appears in your family tree Helen:
Barney Allen
Joe Bache
John Boden
William Brawn
Walter Brown
Jimmy Cantrell
Rowland Codling
Harry Cooch
Walter Corbett
Arthur Elston
Albert Evans
George Garratt
William Garraty
William George
Samuel Greenhalgh
Harry Hadley
Albert Hall
Harry Hampton
George Harris
Joseph Hisbent
Herbert Kingaby
Alex Leake
James Logan
William Matthews
Alfred Miles
Charles Millington
Michael Noon
Joseph Pearson
Thomas Riley
Howard Spencer
Joseph Walters
Albert Wilkes
Joseph Windmill

This is a list of players that played for the Aston Villa first team during season 1905-06, which may help in finding if one of these names, also appears in your family tree Helen:
Barney Allen
Joe Bache
John Boden
William Brawn
Walter Brown
Jimmy Cantrell
Rowland Codling
Harry Cooch
Walter Corbett
Arthur Elston
Albert Evans
George Garratt
William Garraty
William George
Samuel Greenhalgh
Harry Hadley
Albert Hall
Harry Hampton
George Harris
Joseph Hisbent
Herbert Kingaby
Alex Leake
James Logan
William Matthews
Alfred Miles
Charles Millington
Michael Noon
Joseph Pearson
Thomas Riley
Howard Spencer
Joseph Walters
Albert Wilkes
Joseph Windmill
Thank you. Non of these names jump out at me. Tho' the name 'Spencer' was given to a couple of people on my tree. I have a vague memory of my grandmother saying one of her brohters was very friendly with----? Footballer or boxer I don't remember, just that it was a sportsman. Looking more and more likely this was just a souvenir.

Thank you. Non of these names jump out at me. Tho' the name 'Spencer' was given to a couple of people on my tree. I have a vague memory of my grandmother saying one of her brohters was very friendly with----? Footballer or boxer I don't remember, just that it was a sportsman. Looking more and more likely this was just a souvenir.
I found a similar "souvenir" of Howard Spencer in my great aunt's photograph album Helen. It was a full page photograph taken from a 1900s Villa programme and was in pristine condition (and still is :)). I suspect Howard may have been a bit of a Midland's version of David Beckham in that era, being Villa's captain and an England international, captaining them too. Howard was born in Edgbaston on 23/8/1875, attended Albert Road School in Aston and was known as the "prince of full-backs". He was a "one-club man" and went on to be a director and vice-president of the football club, after hanging up his boots in 1907. Villa won the league championship four times and the FA Cup three times, during Howard's playing career. Howard passed away in Sutton Coldfield on 14/1/1940.

Back